Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty, seems theres nothing. I still haven't managed to ride Routes 44 or 99 after the service changes (work/sleep schedule has been in the way, also why I post on CPTDB at 4 in the morning sometimes). However, I have noticed that Route 44 did get quite a bit of ridership out of KP during its first few days, along with Route 99s Windermere section getting better amounts of passengers than before. Misericordia though, I haven't seen anything substantial. Saw both around 4:30pm during rush hour early in September (during bright sunny days, its easy to count the passengers through the windows!). Also did passenger counts on the 84/86 during that month, that one surprised me (I never really expected 8-10 people to really be on the buse's out to Whyte Ridge). From late-night bus riding, Route 14 at night is ridiculously dead after Arlington. Route 11 is better. Route 18 to Tuxedo, I was the only passenger on for most of my trip (Osborne to Tuxedo, 12:30am).

Heres a good question though: Why hasn't Winnipeg Transit spruced up the Windermere layover a little bit, or at least put up the ground a good 20-30cm with a concrete sidewalk? I know there's gravel layover points all over Winnipeg, but Windermere/Pembina doe's have quite a few passengers around that area, compared to lets say... the layover at St. Charles Catholic Church/School. Also another question: why does the 79 have high ridership for 1:30am? Been on that bus quite a few times over the past month, always noticed that theres usually above 3-5 people onboard during those times. I'm lucky to see anything above just myself on the 24 at 11pm heading EB, nevermind near the end of service to/from Charleswood. :P

Just wondering, any news on the new batch of 31 buse's for the 2013 order?

The order for the 31 buses was announced on May 29. Here is the reference to it on the NFI site:

http://www.newflyer.com/index/news-app/story.107/title.committee-approves-city-bus-purchase/menu.no/sec./home.

There has not been a separate New Flyer release, but the order would have been included in the quarterly orders and backlog releases that are intended for the investment community, and which have appeared on or about the 15th of each of the months of January, April, July and October.

Heres a good question though: Why hasn't Winnipeg Transit spruced up the Windermere layover a little bit, or at least put up the ground a good 20-30cm with a concrete sidewalk? I know there's gravel layover points all over Winnipeg, but Windermere/Pembina does have quite a few passengers around that area, compared to lets say... the layover at St. Charles Catholic Church/School.

My guess as to why there have been no physical improvements at Windermere loop in spite of its increasing importance as a transfer point would be that it's rented from Canadian National and not public [municipal] property. Its importance may also be "temporary" until Phase II is built. No need to waste money for a short ten to twenty year use.

It's really quite a bad transfer point. It's a bit of a hike between the loop (alley southbound) and Pembina northbound at Point, including quite a slow walk light across Pembina. It's also a mess in that there is no single "downtown" stop. The 99 doesn't serve Pembina/Point but the express buses (185, 161, 162, etc) don't serve the next stop at Pembina/Calrossie. What does one do if your 29, 84, 86 or 99 pulls out of the terminal while you, just off a bus from the south, are waiting to cross Pembina to catch it?

I would imagine its just the most viable location for the feeder buses to turn around. The intent is for most passengers to disembark at Jubilee at Pembina (if that's possible) or even Grant and catch a 66 to their desired destinations. Most customers catching a route 29 Logan would get the bus NB Stafford at Pembina rather than going to the Windermere Loop in most cases. The only major destination at the Windermere Loop itself is a KFC. (If its still there).

I would imagine its just the most viable location for the feeder buses to turn around. The intent is for most passengers to disembark at Jubilee at Pembina (if that's possible) or even Grant and catch a 66 to their desired destinations. Most customers catching a route 29 Logan would get the bus NB Stafford at Pembina rather than going to the Windermere Loop in most cases. The only major destination at the Windermere Loop itself is a KFC. (If its still there).

Yep, its still there. I think I might've got it in my Rapid Transit video, actually!

My guess as to why there have been no physical improvements at Windermere loop in spite of its increasing importance as a transfer point would be that it's rented from Canadian National and not public [municipal] property. Its importance may also be "temporary" until Phase II is built. No need to was money for a short ten to twenty year use.

It's really quite a bad transfer point. It's a bit of a hike between the loop (alley southbound) and Pembina northbound at Point, including quite a slow walk light across Pembina. It's also a mess in that there is no single "downtown" stop. The 99 doesn't serve Pembina/Point but the express buses (185, 161, 162, etc) don't serve the next stop at Pembina/Calrossie. What does one do if your 29, 84, 86 or 99 pulls out of the terminal while you, just off a bus from the south, are waiting to cross Pembina to catch it?

Too bad they haven't re-routed some of these routes. The 84/86 would be more effective (and faster) if they used Grant Park Shopping Centre, or the Pam-Am Pool, as a terminus. Give the 66 some passengers as well, especially at night, and service won't be duplicated either.

The 99... now this idea of mine, might actually sound absurd. I've noticed that ridership is pretty bad for the Misericordia section (that or the frequency is WAY too high). What would be the result, if this section of the route got converted into a Downtown (or more of an, Osborne) Spirit route that lasted into the evening? 8,000 people, plus Downtown, a hospital, the RT system and the Exchange District. If it was free (and if they finally chopped off the 185), the service mightpossibly be packed! Keep the Windermere leg as the full-fare Route 99, except that the Downtown section should be cut and the layover should be at Harkness Station.

Route 29, what would happen if it took over Route 94 as well, to Kenaston Commons? Use that as a layover, and connect the West End and Portage Corridors, to the suburban job market (employee ridership). Get Route 99 to cover the rest of Route 94 to the Industrial terminus, as well. Then technically, Windermere wouldn't need the improvements, as it can use the existing curbs for the new service. The 99 would have the same NB Pembina stops, but the new 29 would still need a walk across the street.

Spotted 684 for the first time ever this afternoon. Out of all my transit spotting (along with spotting from my MTHA friends), we've never seen this bus from the looks of it. Either its been in the garage for awhile, or sent to do feeder routes all the time (since it's evaded Downtown and Polo Park, where i transit spot the most). That or I'm really unlucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Winnipeg Transit will test battery-electric buses from New Flyer:

"The SDTC project involves the development and implementation of four rapid-charge battery-electric transit buses and a high capacity charging station. These buses are targeted to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2013 and will be operated by Winnipeg Transit in revenue service over a four-year period. This project will examine the technology and key operational performance issues including: the charging system, battery capacity, component life and reliability and the assessment of both operational and life cycle cost savings."

http://www.newflyer.com/index/2012_10_26_sdtc_award

That is great news! I can't wait to see how these buses perform! Reminds me of 550 HE40LF back in 2005. Hopefully the electric drive goes better than the HHICE engine. I'm guessing fourth quarter implies winter testing - the ultimate test for any bus is survival of a Winnipeg winter :P

Winnipeg Transit will test battery-electric buses from New Flyer:

"The SDTC project involves the development and implementation of four rapid-charge battery-electric transit buses and a high capacity charging station. These buses are targeted to be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2013 and will be operated by Winnipeg Transit in revenue service over a four-year period. This project will examine the technology and key operational performance issues including: the charging system, battery capacity, component life and reliability and the assessment of both operational and life cycle cost savings."

http://www.newflyer....0_26_sdtc_award

+20 ex-OC Transpo D60LFs

+31 2013 D40LFRs

+ probably 30 2014 D40LFRs

+ this

I should probably enjoy the D40s while they last...

Otherwise, this will be very nice to see and ride! Xcelisors too!!! Just hope that they spare it the white-stripe livery and give it either pure-NFI blue or an Rapid Transit vinyl wrap...

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of Winnipeg Transit plans to give Ikea additional service when they open in a few weeks? Luckily, I managed to score a job there (woo), and just want to find out whatever I can!

Also will be looking for the transit stops and preparations for Winnipeg Transit on-site when I begin work Monday. :)

A kid got hit by a car across from where I graduated High School, this afternoon, 3:30pm. The bus detours went up Berry onto Ness for an unidentified Portage express route (all I could see was the orange). Traffic was backed up severely on WB Portage around 5pm. Looking at the drivers time-display electronic device (in the upper left side of the drivers cab), the bus appeared to be 20 minutes late, very rare for my home route - Route 26. Took 15 minutes to get from Portage/Berry to Silver/Berry. It was actually pretty bad...

419 - 66

386 - 22

698 - 24, packed

376 - unknown, Polo

486 - 26

908 - unknown

365 still running - rode yesterday, seems they replaced the seating! Noticed 340 and 360 had the older 2000s style of seating.

Thanks BusMedic - the new job will help me to pay off debts, and maybe make that Calgary New Look charter... :D

Anyone know of Winnipeg Transit plans to give Ikea additional service when they open in a few weeks? Luckily, I managed to score a job there (woo), and just want to find out whatever I can!

Also will be looking for the transit stops and preparations for Winnipeg Transit on-site when I begin work Monday. :)

The Winter Schedule changes are out, and there are no major changes this time.

The only service to IKEA is the 78 (Kenaston Leg), and their were no updates to the schedule.

The next schedule change is next April. However, sometimes they do a mid-winter change (mid January).

It is possible to a offer a shuttle service say from IKEA to Polo Park, until the next schedule change.

Right now there is no service after 7pm (Mon-Sat) and no service on Sunday.

The Winter Schedule changes are out, and there are no major changes this time.

The only service to IKEA is the 78 (Kenaston Leg), and their were no updates to the schedule.

The next schedule change is next April. However, sometimes they do a mid-winter change (mid January).

It is possible to a offer a shuttle service say from IKEA to Polo Park, until the next schedule change.

Right now there is no service after 7pm (Mon-Sat) and no service on Sunday.

https://maps.google....014503,0.042272

Travel time - Supposedly 23 minutes. Add stops and traffic... lets say it will be 30. 15 minute Ikea layover gives this leg of the 78, a 45 minute frequency! Also will free up the U of M via Kenaston 78 route, saving it a few minutes (especially if the Ikea 78 branch is extended to cover Lowson and the Tuxedo Industrial Park, to free up the Kenaston branch). If it was extended, the frequency would have to be either 2 buses (30 minutes) or just the one bus (60 minutes). Still, the service to Ikea would be remarkably better, and any via Kenaston buses will have faster travel times!

Late night service though... no idea when shifts end there yet, but a last bus using one of the NIS 84 or 86 D30LFs around 11pm or Midnight would suffice. Get the last 40-foot Route 78 buses back to FRG, and just use the shorter ones as the employee shuttle back to Polo Park late at night.

Run-time: 7am-12am weekdays (30 day, 60 after 9:00pm), Saturdays (60 mins before 11am and after 7pm, 30 in between), 9am to 9pm every 60 minutes Sundays.

300 employees at Ikea, lets say 200 are working on a Friday. Divide by 10 into a public transit usage group, thats 20. 20 x 2.45 = $49 from employees one-way (if using just spare change). Customers and people hungry for Swedish food and cheap Hot Dogs (along with anyone wanting to travel to and from Polo Park for transfers to the 18-65-66-67-95), can fill in the rest :P. The service would definitely pay a good portion of itself!

While attempting to find steel-toed boots for my new job, spotted 373 NB on St James, Route 24. Nice to see it still running :)

However, since it was black out by then (6pm), also noticed that alot of the D40s rollsigns arent lit up at all (especially front) along with really dim interior lighting. Skipping out on replacing lighting for the last 1-2 years of these buses, perhaps, to save money.

I am not the author of these ideas, but I'll offer them here to see if they generate any comment or discussion. They are kind of a package.

1. Reroute the 66 GRANT and 65 GRANT EXPRESS off the transitway back to their original routes via Osborne Junction and the Midtown Bridge into downtown.

2. Cancel all service on the 99 (both branches).

3. Cancel all service on the 160.

4. Use released units from the 99 and 160 cancellations to improve frequencies on route 60 PEMBINA, and frequency and service hours on route 161 UNIVERSITY SUPER EXPRESS.