Calgary Transit

kevlo86

17 hours ago, Gsgeek540 said:

I have finally confirmed that the reason for the delay of the launch of these routes is incomplete roads within the community. A fair portion of this route will be on detour on monday.

Called it from June 27! ? 

The same thing happened with the launch of Redstone bus service on route 445. 

I was able to get some better shots of the real time bus sign at Crowfoot this evening.

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Came back later and there was a message about the sign being part of a pilot.

10.jpg

I found this article a little while ago - check out whose routes are on display ;) could be related to it being a pilot project https://busride.com/luminator-introduces-full-color-fine-pitch-outdoor-sign-system-high-brightness-led-stairwell-light/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 1604 said:

I was able to get some better shots of the real time bus sign at Crowfoot this evening.

7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Came back later and there was a message about the sign being part of a pilot.

10.jpg

I found this article a little while ago - check out whose routes are on display ;) could be related to it being a pilot project https://busride.com/luminator-introduces-full-color-fine-pitch-outdoor-sign-system-high-brightness-led-stairwell-light/

One of these is not like the other....

20170505_143154-768x391.jpg

3 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

You can see the old facing point crossover along 9th Street (between 6th and 7th Avenues), taken out due to the curve.  You can see the rails for the outbound turnout have already been removed in this video.  Neat.

Why did they get rid of the crossover south of 6th avenue? Sure would've handy now in case of a disruption

30 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Why did they get rid of the crossover south of 6th avenue? Sure would've handy now in case of a disruption

It would be very handy, but because of the curvature of the tracks, it was very prone to derailment - for the same reason they got rid of a facing point crossover at 4th Street SE between 7th and 6th Avenues that allowed quick access into the 4th Street East tail track there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CTrainDude said:

It would be very handy, but because of the curvature of the tracks, it was very prone to derailment - for the same reason they got rid of a facing point crossover at 4th Street SE between 7th and 6th Avenues that allowed quick access into the 4th Street East tail track there.

And the catenary is still there today at 4th Street Southeast between 7th and 6th Ave.

I heard once upon a time (around the time the 202 opened up) there is actually a derailment in that location when the switch was used in revenue service

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicinity said:

I love the old look of Victoria park stampede station! It was before the ramp! 

That station was perfectly set up to extend the platform South for 4 cars. The signal was far enough South to accommodate the extension... now they messed it all up on the North end having an interlocking in the middle of the platform...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LRT said:

That station was perfectly set up to extend the platform South for 4 cars. The signal was far enough South to accommodate the extension... now they messed it all up on the North end having an interlocking in the middle of the platform...

You're right, but they had to account for Stampede Park's master plan, which sadly includes:

Extend 17th Avenue into Stampede Park and redevelop Stampede Trail as a commercial and retail spine

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/broader-rivers-district/

Calgary Transit bus operators facing layoffs due to declining ridership

Calgary Transit bus operators could expect layoffs this fall, though it’s still not known how many could be out of work come September.

The transit service said Thursday ridership is down four per cent compared to last year. It’s projecting a $10-million shortfall by the end of this year. Some operators have been offered leaves of absence, he [Collins] said, adding there’s been interest in that option. That would see a handful of bus drivers take an unpaid leave of a month or two.

Calgary Transit is also looking at other cost-saving measures, including adjusting service on some routes and potentially taking buses out of rotation based on demand in those areas.

“The thing about all of this is that with lower ridership and numbers that are falling, we need to be prudent to the taxpayer,” Ron Collins, Calgary Transit spokesman said.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3661322/calgary-transit-bus-operators-facing-layoffs-due-to-declining-ridership/

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, LRT said:

Shuttle operators should be in the safe. (And me... as there's 800 operators Junior to me)

Things should be all right with the LOA option. 

I'd be very surprised if they find enough operators willing to take unpaid leaves of absence (which also means no benefits, etc.) to offset all layoffs  

The LOAs are good up to December signup - seems like they're just hoping enough operators quit or retire before then to offset any further layoffs. 

In the '80s many of the laid off Operators had the option to be recalled a year or so later - hopefully that'll be the case for anyone here too. Really too bad. 

On 8/14/2017 at 4:33 PM, 1604 said:

There's a bus queue jump and priority signal at both ends of the new Macleod Tr / 162 Ave interchange.

Specifically, from North Bound McLeod onto Westbound 162nd - there is a queue jump, and also on Eastbound 162nd, through the first set of lights.

EDIT:  Also appears to be one on westbound Sun Valley Blvd at Sunpark Gate.

They aren't labelled, but you can figure out what they are intended to be on this document:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Documents/Road-projects/macleod-162ave/macleod-162ave-DDI-zoomed-in-Mar-2016.pdf

• Thanks 1