Calgary Transit

kevlo86

The map for the new NW routes makes more sense than the spaghetti that's there now, but... They will need more frequency than they have planned for the routes serving Northland and Market malls. Especially for the schools, as School Bus 101 mentioned.

As a heavy user of these buses, what I need the most is a direct, frequent route to the Market and Northland areas from any train station (But I would imagine more people would need that route from Brentwood, because of the University).

I second Armorand's comment about needing an alternate route paralleling the train (Currently the 10) in case of major breakdowns.

Some of these routes would be much less necessary if they would finally build a station beside the schools and mall at Northland.

I'll be bringing all of this to the open houses if work will give me time to go.

The map for the new NW routes makes more sense than the spaghetti that's there now, but... They will need more frequency than they have planned for the routes serving Northland and Market malls. Especially for the schools, as School Bus 101 mentioned.

As a heavy user of these buses, what I need the most is a direct, frequent route to the Market and Northland areas from any train station (But I would imagine more people would need that route from Brentwood, because of the University).

You just gave me an idea! Market Mall to University shuttle - or better yet, a CCW route encompassing the U of C/SAIT/ACAD, Market Mall and Foothills.

1) Although Route 506 is free, the ridership potential is there, even if the service was strictly fare-only. If it did go fare-free, the cost could be split between the three parties: the mall, the schools and Alberta Health Services (Foothills and associated local facilities). And when that happens, ridership will need a little more than just a shuttle operating.

2) U of C/SAIT/ACAD (full of students and faculty), Market Mall (commercial), Foothills (major workplace). Combining local bus and LRT connections and travel demand, it would be profitable for Calgary Transit to run - something GSGeek keeps mentioning as a barrier to new service.

3) It would cover further route cuts around Foothills and Market, yet act as a feeder for other routes that may be cut down in the future due to low ridership.

Overall, it would be a good idea to look into, and potentially operate.

Metro article: Neil McKendrick, manager of operational planning with Calgary Transit, said in some cases it may take Transit a few years to catch up with the city's growth. And areas like Legacy, City Escape and Nolan Hills – to name a few – are waiting to get basic transit service that isn't within Transit's current budget.

Has Calgary Transit looked into the ETS system of "future bus route" signs, for future transit routing? There's also the problem of Calgary's growing suburban areas - Winnipeg's suburban growth for instance, was non-existent for much of the 1990s and early 2000s. However, when the city did grow, Winnipeg Transit cut all inner-city services just to focus on the suburban areas - losing ridership ("transit never shows up on time/goes from A to B/etc, lets take the car") and system popularity. Come to think of it, Calgary suburban growth has been non-stop for the past 60 years. Another 10 years of massive suburban growth (although looking unlikely due to $30 oil) might honestly annihilate the system, especially if it gets built/created/budgeted and nobody ends up using it. Throws me right back to making Calgary more urban outside of the City Centre/LRT corridors (high-rise versus low-rise), but I'll save that one for another time. :P

Route 301 gets a boost! Extended rush hour trips. :)

So I went to a pop up open house today!

Sounds like most if not all routes will be shuttle midday evenings and weekends!!!!! :(:(

They said the ridership isn't there for most of these routes .....

That's not much of a surprise to me. I feel like transit in the NW never seemed very busy, compared to the NE or the South. Plus, much of the northwest is made up of wealthier, low density, upper class communities in which most people have several private cars. The long distance into downtown from some of the communities in the vast suburban sprawl up there is, in most cases, more conveniently travelled by car.

So I went to a pop up open house today!

Sounds like most if not all routes will be shuttle midday evenings and weekends!!!!! :(:(

They said the ridership isn't there for most of these routes .....

Really? At Sunnyside school, they said that apart from the Dalhousie and Varsity shuttles, they were hoping to use regular buses nearly all the time. And they definitely said they are aware enough of rider

That's not much of a surprise to me. I feel like transit in the NW never seemed very busy, compared to the NE or the South. Plus, much of the northwest is made up of wealthier, low density, upper class communities in which most people have several private cars. The long distance into downtown from some of the communities in the vast suburban sprawl up there is, in most cases, more conveniently travelled by car.

You haven't been to Capitol Hill, Banff Trail, Charleswood, most of Brentwood, Varsity Acres, most of Dalhousie, or most of Ranchlands? They tend to be low to mid wealth, lots of rentals, lots of people who whose transit, often because of being near SAIT or U of C. The Northwest is more than just Edgemont and Varsity Acres.

NE buses get busy in dense, lower income areas and South buses get busy because there is so much South to cover. NW buses, despite being set up like spaghetti, get just as busy. If they straighten it out like the plan, and apply enough frequency, it'll get lots of ridership.

Just based on the chatter in the morning and the letter asking us to fill out the online survey, people aren't thrilled about the 419 changes.

Based on reactions at Sunnyside open house, a lot of people don't like the rerouting of either the 419 or 9, and that less buses go downtown. People get used to what is already there, even if it's like spaghetti.

Key word: Much. I wasn't referring to the high density areas closer to downtown and near the universities/Brentwood/Dalhousie stations. But yes, as far as those go, that is correct.

I mentioned it because the bus routes being changed are serving those high density areas.

But, also, because it feels to me, sometimes, that those farther, sprawling communities get more regular service than the inner, denser areas.

I went to tonight's open house about the proposed changes to the NW transit network. Lots of great discussion - I would really encourage anyone at all interested in the changes to attend.

One of the interesting changes with the proposed new route 419 (and not yet on the website) is the addition of a new bus bay and stop on Memorial Drive, intended to serve the area that would otherwise be bypassed by running directly along McDougall Road.

Route 9.jpg

I mentioned it because the bus routes being changed are serving those high density areas.

But, also, because it feels to me, sometimes, that those farther, sprawling communities get more regular service than the inner, denser areas.

On the topic of high density there is a lot of LRT oriented development going on in the NW! 4 new condo towers @ Dalhousie station, 4 condo towers @ Brentwood station plus a larger condo unit. On the south side of Brentwood there are 2 office/employment type building of a good size being built.

All in all a lot of redevelopment and changing needs in the next few years!

It seems buses are displaying "2015 08 25" today... Saw a bus displaying that on my drive in this morning, and had my bus display it by defauly when I turned it on today...

EDIT: It seems "2015 08 25" is destination "1000" and was the default for both destination A and B for my bus this morning....

It seems buses are displaying "2015 08 25" today... Saw a bus displaying that on my drive in this morning, and had my bus display it by defauly when I turned it on today...

EDIT: It seems "2015 08 25" is destination "1000" and was the default for both destination A and B for my bus this morning....

I believe there's a destination sign update going around - likely something to do with that?

• 2 weeks later...