West LRT Construction Updates

mersar

Here are some pics I took today, Noticed some very unique differences with one of the interlocking signals. D56A and D56B heading west (labeled wrong should be labeled the other way around the O.B track should be the A track and not the B track) has a HW under the signal. Not sure what that means, I wonder if thats a high speed interlocking that I heard about, trains can take that switch at 60KM/H rather then the uasual 20KM/H.

Nice photos 'LRT' !! I can't wait to see this high speed interlocking area in action!

Here are some pics I took today, Noticed some very unique differences with one of the interlocking signals. D56A and D56B heading west (labeled wrong should be labeled the other way around the O.B track should be the A track and not the B track) has a HW under the signal. Not sure what that means, I wonder if thats a high speed interlocking that I heard about, trains can take that switch at 60KM/H rather then the uasual 20KM/H.

Enjoy....

If I remember my CTrain training from decades ago the HW light means High Water level in a low-lying track area.

If I remember my CTrain training from decades ago the HW light means High Water level in a low-lying track area.

Makes sense, this must be a new indication. Normaly there's a signal (a white "W" aspect) to tell the operator that there's water in a tunnel.

Your post has made it occur to me that the new 11 Street W station will not open until the West LRT opens in March 2013 as it is a side-loading station and therefore cannot be a terminus station.

So im guessing that 10 Street W will stay in place until West LRT opening day when 11 Street W will open and the center-loading platform will be quickly removed. It is just a concrete slab sitting in the middle of 7 Avenue anyways.

I've been wondering since the announcement of the delay in opening whether the 11 St Station had anything to do with it. It seems to have had the least amount of construction done on it, last I checked they still had the street dug up to move utilities. While it does take less than a year, in theory, to construct our downtown platforms, it still seems very unfinished.

Heard in from the inside from a very reliable source, you will have to trust me on this one "due to a mild winter this year, West leg is back on schedule"

The line is to be commissioned late fall.

This could be a huge story for MRU TV Connected (the MRU broadcasting school's weekly news program), if true. Is there an official source who can vouch for this claim?

• 1 month later...

This could be a huge story for MRU TV Connected (the MRU broadcasting school's weekly news program), if true. Is there an official source who can vouch for this claim?

Sorry no official "link" just some good inside info, anyway one of the concrete walls from 10 street station is gone, check out some pics I took earlier this week. Also expect a permanent closure of 10 St West Station to come in the next few months!

10st-2.JPG

10st-1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Some signals are now powered on, showing red.

I noticed that as well tonight including the signals on the west side of 11th St. S.W.

Took some night shots showing some of the construction at 10th St. I see tracks have been put in. The inbound track leads right up to the 10th St. platform wheelchair ramp and the outbound track has already been connected to the track at the outbound platform of the 10th St. Station. I am really curious how they are going to work this with shutting down the old platform...

300312-3524ct10thstreet.jpg

300312-3530ct10thstreet.jpg

300312-3535ct10thstreet.jpg

I am really curious how they are going to work this with shutting down the old platform...

How about I tell ya!!

They are planing to tear down 10st west station (not sure before or after Stampede) building a small platform for the operator to switch ends. They will have security clearing trains at 7th street west.

I'm still curious whether they intend on shortening up the layover at 10th street and reducing it to only a single track to turn trains on. With the one track needing to be ripped up for realignment, they will only be able to turn one train at a time. During rush hour, that gets a little dicey.

Or are they possibly going to go to serial staging and have one train carry across to the new 11th street platform where the operator will switch ends, while another stops at the 10th street "platform" and switches ends and they leave one after another?

Jon

I'm still curious whether they intend on shortening up the layover at 10th street and reducing it to only a single track to turn trains on. With the one track needing to be ripped up for realignment, they will only be able to turn one train at a time. During rush hour, that gets a little dicey.

Or are they possibly going to go to serial staging and have one train carry across to the new 11th street platform where the operator will switch ends, while another stops at the 10th street "platform" and switches ends and they leave one after another?

Jon

As I dont drive train I am not sure but I think that would throw things out as keys would be out of order.

11st station is set to open after Thanksgiving weekend. As far as I know, 10st west will be torn down and trains will turn around using 1 track as quick as possible for only a week or so. Can't wait to see how that is going to pan out.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a "rumor" 10 street West station is set to close in mid September, and 11st station is set to open after Thanksgiving weekend. Also, I heard another "rumor" that a test train or two will venture past 10 Street West Station (yes westbound) May 14 - 15 all the way to Shaganappi Point Station. It will be towed by the pettibone.

I heard a "rumor" 10 street West station is set to close in mid September, and 11st station is set to open after Thanksgiving weekend. Also, I heard another "rumor" that a test train or two will venture past 10 Street West Station (yes westbound) May 14 - 15 all the way to Shaganappi Point Station. It will be towed by the pettibone.

Seems rather odd they would do that, but is it for clearance testing?

And if it was happening this weekend, any chance someone got photos of this?

Jon

Not odd at all. Most systems will tow or push a car around an extension at low speed prior to turning on the various systems to check for clearances with all lineside items.

Dan

And if it was happening this weekend, any chance someone got photos of this?

Jon

Not this weekend, work is to be done May 14-15. Actually we could have trains at the 11st yard as early as May 13....

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder, what are they going to call the "End of the Line" cafe when the West LRT opens!

Former Terminus Bistro? :P

Maybe "The old end of the line cafe" :P

Getting serious though, it'd be nice to see test trains this early :)

Don't worry, you will...there should be a train there this Sunday!!