STO and OC Transpo Routes

Cre47

On 11/16/2023 at 5:49 AM, Loud-Invero said:

So it seems the counselors have given the transit planners hell because a lot of routes have just been rejigged in the proposals. For example, people in Foster Farm were not happy of bus removal service during off peak hours. So it seems the 81 will not go via Greenbank, Craig Henry to Baseline, and will instead go to Bayshore via DuMaurier and Ramsey and Richmomd, filling in the gap. The 82 will also continue to run all day/seven days a week and will still run on its regular route, minus the deviation to Morrison and Lincoln via Pinecrest/Richmond. Morrison will still continue to receive all day service, thankfully. That was my biggest concern, taking transit options away from less fortunate communities. Good to see they're at least listening to something...

Link: http://kitchissippiward.ca/content/oc-transpo-route-review download revised proposals at the bottom.

Councillor Glen Gower (Transit Commission Chair) posted a more up-to-date version of the draft Route Review maps: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ptj8f6gwcqxrk5kldjjkt/Network-Realignment-2024_Route-Maps_Dec-22_1600.pdf?rlkey=6o2vyt14cg7711oyj2tc1b5u1&dl=0 (via https://www.glengower.ca/information/update-draft-route-maps-for-oc-transpos-network-realignment/ )

• Thanks 5

Looking at the new version (December 22, 2023), here an interesting change I have noticed.

N63 Rideau proposed which would most likely be for the final three trips from Kanata on Sunday (hourly frequency). 

10:13 PM to 12:13 AM the next day since Line 1 finishes at 11 PM on Sunday. I didn't include the Saturday departures since Line 1 final departure is 2 AM which wouldn't impact the final arrival for 63 Tunney's Pasture at 1:53 AM unless bus breaks down or other issue. Plus the night stop exists for pickup and drop-off which is pretty close to the station entrance. 

Final comments:

This arrangement of N63 Rideau is more to avoid the need to change buses when trains are finished for the night plus reach a more central point for those looking to go beyond Rideau Station. 

For the 10:13 PM trip from Innovation Park and Ride in Kanata, that trip arrives at Tunney's at 11:09 PM which would miss the final train connection. Especially operating on hourly frequency doesn't help for those who only has the 63 as an option which drops to hourly after 8 PM. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a digitized infobox map for Route 95 in September 1987. Huge thanks to Nick Hauser for providing the photo from his collection and giving me premission to digitze it for me to share with you all. Enjoy! (also, if anyone can inform me on what the correct fonts used for the "effective date" and the "95" on the top, as seen on Facebook, I'd appreciate the help to find that font name)

Route 95 1987.pdfimage.thumb.gif.4edd8c097e1420226349b045203dd170.gif

• Like 2

Twothings I find interesting about that "info Box" 

1- Instead of McKenzie Station it's Canal Station

2- to get route info or other OC info the time says 7:00AM to 23:00(11:00PM). To get info now the times are less, finishes way before 11:00PM(I think it stops at 9 or 10PM on the phone to the  info CSRs?) The times should be 6AM to 11PM 7 days a week.

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

Here's a digitized infobox map for Route 95 in September 1987. Huge thanks to Nick Hauser for providing the photo from his collection and giving me premission to digitze it for me to share with you all. Enjoy! (also, if anyone can inform me on what the correct fonts used for the "effective date" and the "95" on the top, as seen on Facebook, I'd appreciate the help find that font name)

Route 95 1987.pdf 1022.49 kB · 1 download image.thumb.gif.4edd8c097e1420226349b045203dd170.gif

Interesting how it was a lot different how the 95 worked back in September 1987. After St. Laurent Station, it would go directly onto the Queensway and looks like not exiting until Jeanne D'Arc Station and then looping around to Place D'Orleans Station. 

52 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Twothings I find interesting about that "info Box" 

1- Instead of McKenzie Station it's Canal Station

2- to get route info or other OC info the time says 7:00AM to 23:00(11:00PM). To get info now the times are less, finishes way before 11:00PM(I think it stops at 9 or 10PM on the phone to the  info CSRs?) The times should be 6AM to 11PM 7 days a week.

Also noticed that Mackenzie King Station used to be Canal Station. 

Customer info is open until 7 AM to 9 PM on weekdays, 8 AM to 9 PM on Saturday and 9 AM to 5 PM on Sunday currently. Back in the 1980s, you really didn't have the internet that existed in the capacity it has today such as posting detour info in real-time along with different methods of communication (text, email, web posting).

Let alone, trip planning and the ability to track departures in real-time too from a smartphone with data. I know some people are still a bit old school and keep printed schedules on-hand to better keep track. 

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Back during the OTC era, the phone info line was open 24 hours a day.  I don't know when the hours were reduced, but it was some time between May 1967 and December 1972.  The info line went to its current hours (roughly) in 1996, about the same time octranspo.com went online.

1967:
OTC 1967 Downtown Colour.jpg

1972:
OC Transpo 1972-12 Changes.jpg

1995:
image.png

1996:
image.png
image.thumb.png.31fb3e187b75873eeff24f76e28a814d.png

20 minutes ago, MattFor10 said:

Did the old route 95 got renumbered or just got divided in multiple routes?

Divided.  It is now route 39 in the east and 75 in the west:

image.thumb.png.4813b7c40df026e501b796e889afc51f.png
image.thumb.png.8910dd0d0c6168cb4bd86ee237259ebd.png

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bsnider001 said:

What was route 91?

I guess we have some young transit fans here. ;)

Route 91 was a duplicate bus route of Route 95 that was created as a result of the Transitway closure for Stage 1 LRT construction where the old Transitway was converted to LRT (which we know today as LRT Line 1 "Confederation Line"). Route 91 operated between Trim/Place d'Orleans and Baseline Station, skipping the following stations between Blair and Laurier Station by travelling on Hwy 417

• St. Laurent Station (eastbound only)
  • Train Station
  • Hurdman Station
  • Lees Station
  • Campus Station (no service between April 2016 and until October 4, 2019)

Route 91 was a weekday route. 

June 2015 was when the first major Transitway closure took place for LRT construction. 

While at it, feel free to watch some of my Stage 1 LRT detour videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIbum-kAJU8TYU0y-cobVhqOKbvVxlbWj . LRT Construction detour began in 2013 and did not complete until 2019. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JCL said:

Route 91 was a duplicate bus route of Route 95 that was created as a result of the Transitway closure for Stage 1 LRT construction where the old Transitway was converted to LRT (which we know today as LRT Line 1 "Confederation Line"). Route 91 operated between Trim/Place d'Orleans and Baseline Station, skipping the following stations between Blair and Laurier Station by travelling on Hwy 417

• Train Station
  • Hurdman Station
  • Lees Station

June 2015 was when the first major Transitway closure took place for LRT construction. 

While at it, feel free to watch some of my Stage 1 LRT detour videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIbum-kAJU8TYU0y-cobVhqOKbvVxlbWj . LRT Construction detour began in 2013 and did not complete until 2019. 

It should be noted, If I'm not mistaken, 80% of the 91 trips weren't new bus trips when they first came out, but rather former 95X Baseline/Downtown/Blair trips. There were also some routes like the 82/84 that extended from Baseline as the 91 Laurier (which previously were 95 Downtown/Blair trips). Same applies to the old 92 Stittsville/St. Laurent. They just replaced Route 96A trips and didn't actually add more bus trips.

1 minute ago, Loud-Invero said:

It should be noted, If I'm not mistaken, 80% of the 91 trips weren't new bus trips when they first came out, but rather former 95X Baseline/Downtown/Blair trips. There were also some routes like the 82/84 that extended from Baseline as the 91 Laurier

That is correct. Especially after 7 PM on weekdays, it would go back to the 95X schedule. Simply more to differentiate between the regular route and the special trips that end after a certain terminus focusing on the higher peak of passenger trips. 

2 hours ago, JCL said:

• Train Station
  • Hurdman Station
  • Lees Station

Thank you for the details. I guess you *could* say I'm on the younger side, yes, lol. I'm also based in the west end (Kanata/Bayshore) and would never have bothered with a 91 or a 95 (or a 94), but used the 96, 97, and 92 (96A) frequently and the 93 occasionally.

• 2 months later...

No service changes for the spring booking. The current schedules implemented in winter will simply rollover into the spring booking.

Summer weekend service to Petrie Island starts on June 15th (Saturday). Canadian Aviation and Space Museum along with Canada Agriculture and Food Museum on June 23rd (Sunday).

Schedules will be available closer to the date.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

No service changes for the spring booking. The current schedules implemented in winter will simply rollover into the spring booking.

Not even a mention of the usual service reductions to Carleton University and la Cité since classes are out from May to August?  Interesting... 🤔

24 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I suspect Summer assuming Line 2 is operational?

They've stated publically that they won't announce an opening date until it's ready.

(And yes, Councillors have been pushing OC Transpo staff to say when will it open)

I wouldn't bother speculating. 

1 hour ago, tomsbuspage said:

Not even a mention of the usual service reductions to Carleton University and la Cité since classes are out from May to August?  Interesting... 🤔

No reductions since it's a copy/paste, all 25-xx runs are still running to La Cite every 15 during the day. They changed maybe 5 pieces of the work total. If a driver wants to do the same run 6.5ish months straight they can

• Thanks 1

OC Transpo has begun to release the route map PDF's for New Ways to Bus, currently the following routes have maps:

53, 68, 73, 74, 75, 81, 82, 88, 111, 112, 116, 117, 187, 189, 275 and 276,

One thing I've noticed that is different from the current maps is a shopping centre symbol to differentiate it from other landmarks, like hotels in the 116 map. That addition is a nice one

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

OC Transpo has begun to release the route map PDF's for New Ways to Bus, currently the following routes have maps:

53, 68, 73, 74, 75, 81, 82, 88, 111, 112, 116, 117, 187, 189, 275 and 276,

One thing I've noticed that is different from the current maps is a shopping centre symbol to differentiate it from other landmarks, like hotels in the 116 map. That addition is a nice one

A breakdown based on the available maps:

• Route 73: Providing service between Fallowfield and Limebank Stations via Leikin/Crestheaven operating seven days a week with extension to Tunney's via Woodroffe/Transitway during weekday peak periods 
  • Route 68/88: It is great that Route 88 is split into two because the major complaints were the length and how buses were frequently late. With duplicate service between Baseline and Queensway Carleton Hospital providing more frequent service along that section 
  • Route 111/112: Route 111 stays on Meadowlands while Route 112 provides service via Viewmount 
  • Route 116: Focusing on direct corridor service on Hunt Club between Woodroffe and Transitway/Airport Parkway
  • Route 117: Covering McFarlane/Arigua/Antares during the peak periods eliminating the confusing milk run operating on Route 96

I do like how additional detail is provided such as nearby hotels on the individual route maps.

Line 1 Stations provide locations of nearby hotels within a few minutes of the station radius and will most likely be the case for Line 2/4 and Line 3 to maintain consistency. Especially to promote public transit usage and know the distance between the nearest station. 

It will take time for the rest of the maps to be uploaded onto the website. Especially with a few dozen route maps, it will take time for the web administrator to upload those files onto the website. With some routes going through small changes such as no more direct service to Gatineau, instead transferring to Route 8 in all time periods or Route 13 during peak periods only.

I would like to see the 75 be split up, have a "175" run fallowfield to cambrian all day and allow the 75 to be what it's intended to be, a rapid route. 

Ever since the 95 extended to cambrian, the reliability of the route went down hill 

3 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I love how on the 189 map they forgot to add Merivale high school as a point of Interest...

Notice how its also Monday to Friday? Chesterton loses weekend service. 1 step forward 3 steps back 

11 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I would like to see the 75 be split up, have a "175" run fallowfield to cambrian all day and allow the 75 to be what it's intended to be, a rapid route. 

Ever since the 95 extended to cambrian, the reliability of the route went down hill 

Doubt that'll happen, they're expanding the 75 to Cambrian for all runs.

Also "Rapid" Routes are ceasing to exist lol.

15 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I agree. I'd also like to see the portion of route 61 west of Terry Fox (and route 62, for that matter) split into different routes, local route(s) feeding into Terry Fox and then transferring to a frequent route (either a 61 or a 62) to Moodie, Bayshore, Tunney's Pasture, etc. depending on timing. I still believe the routes are different enough in Kanata to warrant having both in service alternating as they do now, and if the route 111/112 changes are anything to go by, its setting a precedent for OC Transpo, hopefully.

18 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

A breakdown based on the available maps:

• Route 73: Providing service between Fallowfield and Limebank Stations via Leikin/Crestheaven operating seven days a week with extension to Tunney's via Woodroffe/Transitway during weekday peak periods 
  • Route 68/88: It is great that Route 88 is split into two because the major complaints were the length and how buses were frequently late. With duplicate service between Baseline and Queensway Carleton Hospital providing more frequent service along that section 
  • Route 111/112: Route 111 stays on Meadowlands while Route 112 provides service via Viewmount 
  • Route 116: Focusing on direct corridor service on Hunt Club between Woodroffe and Transitway/Airport Parkway
  • Route 117: Covering McFarlane/Arigua/Antares during the peak periods eliminating the confusing milk run operating on Route 96

I do like how additional detail is provided such as nearby hotels on the individual route maps.

Line 1 Stations provide locations of nearby hotels within a few minutes of the station radius and will most likely be the case for Line 2/4 and Line 3 to maintain consistency. Especially to promote public transit usage and know the distance between the nearest station. 

It will take time for the rest of the maps to be uploaded onto the website. Especially with a few dozen route maps, it will take time for the web administrator to upload those files onto the website. With some routes going through small changes such as no more direct service to Gatineau, instead transferring to Route 8 in all time periods or Route 13 during peak periods only.

I'm a fan of the 68/88 change, specifically... I hated taking the 82 between Baseline and Bayshore... the 88 changes that for me, big time. Hopefully, reliability will improve on the 88 once the 68 comes into service to supplement it.

On a separate note, the one route I didn't like changes to was the 11.. am I the only one who misses the old routing when it used to be route 2? I'd like them to reintroduce the 11 to Westboro once stage 2 opens (and remove service to Tunney's Pasture), but I'd also like to see the reintroduction of some weekend trips on the 11 ending at Westboro. I'd also like to see the 11 west of Lincoln Fields just be dropped when stage 2 is open... no need to have three routes (11, 57, 85) on two roads (Richmond, Carling). As for the 11 detouring to serve Bayview... why? Is there not a station on line 2 in Little Italy people could walk to from Somerset West?

I also don't understand the purpose of local route 58 after the changes... between Bayshore and Carling Campus?! Why... they could easily extend route 57 to loop around the Crystal Beach area, or merge the 58 with trips on the 66 and have all day service on weekdays between Shirleys Bay Campus and Bayshore via Carling Campus and Crystal Beach, and maybe some peak trips extended to/from Solandt.