St. Albert Sightings

A. Wong

• 2 weeks later...
  • Board Admin

St. Albert Transit is inviting the tender for 5 low floor 40' buses. Nova Bus LFS 40' and New Flyer Xcelsior 40' meet the pre-qualification requirements.

They cannot commit to the purchase until the 2015 municipal budget is approved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How long is it going to be demoing there for? I'm hoping to find it and possibly ride it on my visit to the Edmonton area later this month.

Until March 27. I did a breakdown of times if needed from what St. Albert has posted so far. The BYD ran on a number of runs though so we'll just have to see if the New Flyer does a variety or runs of just sticks to the same every day.

http://www.stalbertgazette.com/article/20150307/SAG0804/303079981/0/SAG

The bus will run on various routes that will be posted on the St. Albert Transit website, McDonald said. There’s no charge for rides, but you won’t get a transfer, either.

McDonald said the bus will likely stick around until March 26. A third trial of a different electric bus is planned for this fall.

Maybe but its planned for this fall and would BYD again be a 3rd trial?

Yes. It would be BYD. 2nd bus from BYD, 3rd electric bus for St. Albert. All the first BYD proved was that electric buses might be viable but doesn't prove they would work in the Edmonton area and other winter climates. See this link for the delay on the winterized BYD: http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=16194&p=685097

Apparently all isn't well for the prototype which was supposed to be here in December.

Rode the XE today. Quite impressed. It's what I would expect of an electric bus. Certainly felt sturdier than the BYD, although, it certainly felt top heavy and it sure did like to lean into turns. Not exactly sure where they have all the batteries stashed on that bus, but, obviously lots on the roof. There was a video playing on board advertising 75 miles on a charge, with a lot of clips from around Winnipeg including charging via the quick charge station. I'm not sure if this thing is still equipped the with current collector or not right now. Unfortunately, the run it was on today was out during the height of peak hour and we encountered a lot of stop and go traffic. I want to see how it does with the river valley hills on the 203 and higher speed running on the Yellowhead or St. Albert Trail. Got a few pics but the sun wasn't overly co-operative.

Rode the XE today. Quite impressed. It's what I would expect of an electric bus. Certainly felt sturdier than the BYD, although, it certainly felt top heavy and it sure did like to lean into turns. Not exactly sure where they have all the batteries stashed on that bus, but, obviously lots on the roof. There was a video playing on board advertising 75 miles on a charge, with a lot of clips from around Winnipeg including charging via the quick charge station. I'm not sure if this thing is still equipped the with current collector or not right now. Unfortunately, the run it was on today was out during the height of peak hour and we encountered a lot of stop and go traffic. I want to see how it does with the river valley hills on the 203 and higher speed running on the Yellowhead or St. Albert Trail. Got a few pics but the sun wasn't overly co-operative.

Nice report!

Was this blue bus #996 from Winnipeg?