DRT

2 hours ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

More than likely 

401 Simcoe

910 Campus Connect

915 Taunton 

and 916 Rossland

though they will more than likely appear on 900 Pulse

Ah ok good to know! They drive smooth but kill the neck from having to sit non parallel to the doors! 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lui said:

Anybody seen 8410 lately?

1 hour ago, Bayridgepatriot said:

It's off property getting engine work done pretty sure, I work out of raleigh 

It's in Ottawa, Eastway (spotted on Sunday).

2 hours ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

From my understanding it is, I was also told that 151 and 154 were also supposed to be offsite but saw 151 on the 915 today and 154 on the 405 last night

pretty sure 159 is on the off-property list in the mechanics office at raleigh, havnt seen/serviced it in awhile anyways 

• 2 weeks later...
On August 13, 2016 at 5:39 PM, 900 Highway 2 said:

https://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2016/08/ontario-officially-opens-bus-only-lanes-in-durham-region.html 

Steven DelDuca was in Durham on Wednesday and has committed funding of $10million for Metrolinx to design and build Phase 2 of The Scarborough Durham Highway 2 BRT, 

if anyone knows specifically what phase two consists of please let me know, I believe it is the Whitby Oshawa portion

First, some clarification - this isn't "phase 2".  The current project is fully funded under an early Metrolinx "Quick Win" program.  It included the Pulse buses plus garage facilities, and targeted intersection widening for reserved lanes along with supporting ITS (?) technology.  This is a bit different from what was originally approved - my sense is that more money went into garage facilities and less onto the roadway. By "fully funded" I mean that there is still ongoing lane construction, but there is no plan for the extension of the current BRT lanes anywhere further.

What has been funded now is for *design* work on the Scarborough Durham BRT, which is a significant enhancement to the current transit lanes.  Further, this money is NOT for construction - construction on the Scarborough Durham BRT is likely to be north of $600 million, so this $10 million would hardly make a dent in it.  No, this money is to get the project to the point where it can be approved and funded for construction.

What is the Scarborough Durham BRT?  Basically, the concept is to provide service from Oshawa to Scarborough Town Center via dedicated lanes along Highway 2 and Ellesmere Avenue. The exact portion of those roads to e given dedicated lanes is still to be determined.  It will not include Pickering Village and the downtown Oshawa area, simply because of roadway width restrictions.  Further, some other areas may end up without dedicated lanes if the final design work indicates the benefit to travel time is minimal in those locations, relative to the cost.  The parts that do have lanes may well end up looking at lot like the busways being constructed by VIVA in York Region.  In other words, this will be a "real" BRT, which the current Pulse service isn't in any real sense.

A Metrolinx Benefits Case study on the project 6 years ago studied a number of possible scenarios:

• Base Case: Business as Usual
  • Option 1: Full BRT – Centre Alignment with Significant Transit Priority
  • Option 2: BRT – Centre Alignment with Partial Transit Priority within Durham and Toronto
  • Option 3: BRT – Centre with Partial Transit Priority within Durham and Mixed Traffic Operations within Toronto 

The study did not identify a "best" scenario, but rather pointed out the obvious point that having more transit priority cost more but also produced more benefits.  Presumably the design work that will now occur will need to identify a specific option fairly early on.

In 2011, the year after the study was published, Metrolinx included this project in a list of unfunded "Next Wave" projects it wanted to pursue.  

The study paper is available online and is well worth reading, as - at least for now - it represents the most complete source of information about this project.

There's still  long road to go before this project is built, but the provincial announcement this week is definitely a significant step forward.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BedardZ0754 said:

Also worth noting is that the 501 and 502 will no longer be serving the Bowmanville Carpool Lot and will revent to ending at Church & Temperance. Anyone know why this change was made?

Customer demand. Not many people getting off and on at Park & Ride. Return better service to City Hall too.

10 hours ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

could it have also had anything to do with DRT and GO trying to compete for bus bays in peak periods?

10 hours ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

could it have also had anything to do with DRT and GO trying to compete for bus bays in peak periods?

I didn't really notice any problems at Park and Ride when two buses were there At the  same time.

On 20/08/2016 at 3:24 PM, 900 Highway 2 said:

In peak periods it is possible that 4 routes could be there at one time, 501, 502, 90, 91. I feel that it would work well as Bowmanville is only 3 bus bays.

The 501 and 502 would be there at the same time. The 90 and 91 don't come in at the same times.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2016 at 11:03 PM, 900 Highway 2 said:

PULSE XD40 8605  with no light covers over the lights = bright as hell

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

Fortuntely, I have had no such thing happen to me on any bus. But if that did happen, yes I'd have an issue with my sight while on board no doubt.

On 9/28/2016 at 0:39 AM, 900 Highway 2 said:

Anyone know if 8615 is still sitting at the back of Raleigh with no bike rack?

Man, DRT should be looking long and hard into their reliability issues with the Pulse Xcelsiors. With quite many engine problems or other issues that have been plauging those buses as 900 Highway 2 has mentioned on a few occasions now, it is only hoped that there would be artics for this service. Certainly, not a day too soon that they would need to show up at Raleigh Division...

8615 at the back of Raleigh Division without a bike rack. I can only speculate as I don't have facts. Possible refurb coming or perhaps just awaiting parts for it to be used on it before being re-deployed for revenue service?

Nevertheless, my previous paragraph should be a bigger issue overall.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Needed something else to add in this post.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-10-10 at 0:41 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

Anyone know when Durham College is taking 8050 from Westney it was still sitting there when I was there on Thursday.

It was not purchased by Durham College. As of last month, it is still for sale.

• 4 weeks later...