2023-2025 Standard 40' CNG Bus Procurement (Nova Bus LFS CNG)

Express691

Base order is 50 units by end of Q4 2023

Option 1: 84 units by 2024

Option 2: 30 units by 2025

"Optional works": 

-Passenger counter

-USSC Aries is out. It's either the current SkyTrain seats or the USSC Gemini.

-White LED signs.

============

Pretty sure it's the same as outlined in the CMBC Low carbon fleet strategy, minus the 30 units in 2025 which is new. My hunch is that they took 10 BEBs in 2025 and 20 BEBs in 2026 and combined them into one CNG order for 2025.

TransLink board meeting minutes for meeting on June 23 2022 should come out sometime next week so that might have some answers.

========

Reminder that a separate thread exists for the battery electric bus orders after 2021.

received_5928039213892849.thumb.jpeg.c0aed772f198bb5b9bc88cc5086701de.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

50 units in 2023 replace current 3309-3358

http://www.metrovancouver.org/boards/IntergovernmentFinance/FIC_2021-Nov-10_PPT.pdf

then it starts getting difficult:
84 units in 2024 replace 9601-9725 which is weird because you replace 126 with 84

Then as stated earlier 30 units in 2025 may be a revision of 2025/2026 battery electric bus orders

• 4 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 12:28 PM, Express691 said:

50 units in 2023 replace current 3309-3358

http://www.metrovancouver.org/boards/IntergovernmentFinance/FIC_2021-Nov-10_PPT.pdf

then it starts getting difficult:
84 units in 2024 replace 9601-9725 which is weird because you replace 126 with 84

Then as stated earlier 30 units in 2025 may be a revision of 2025/2026 battery electric bus orders

Anyone think that the C40LFRs will be converted to diesel?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...
On 10/31/2022 at 9:55 PM, Untitled Transit said:

They will just be scrapped this early?

I've been told by some drivers that as far as CNGs go, tank life is what the retirement really depends on, unless the buses for sure have a lot of life left in them, like those old 3200s which were built as C40LFs then later dieselized because (from what I know) the tanks were not rated for as long of a life as the tanks in the C40LFRs.

6 hours ago, 981 said:

those old 3200s ... were built as C40LFs then later dieselized because (from what I know) the tanks were not rated for as long of a life as the tanks in the C40LFRs.

That, and the CNG engines in them were absolute garbage. Dieselizing them made them much more usable vehicles.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

That, and the CNG engines in them were absolute garbage. Dieselizing them made them much more usable vehicles.

Which engines specifically? From what I know, they were built with the Detroit 50 Series CNG and then some were later swapped to the Cummins Westport C Gas Plus, same engine as our C40LFRs.

14 hours ago, 981 said:

Which engines specifically? From what I know, they were built with the Detroit 50 Series CNG and then some were later swapped to the Cummins Westport C Gas Plus, same engine as our C40LFRs.

They had a very bad power train setup (DDS50 x Voith), which lead to a lot of mechanical issues, and even engine fires. They decided screw it, gave nineteen a new diesel power train identification to other D40LFs, and six an engine swap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, madog222 said:

Metro Vancouver approved gas tax funding for the 84 unit order on the 24th.

There's this
https://www.burnabynow.com/local-news/translink-delays-electric-bus-purchases-in-favour-of-natural-gas-6626938

But this part is where it's incorrect

The original plan was to replace diesel buses with electric-battery buses. But TransLink doesn’t have the charging infrastructure in place for such buses.

I thought the original plan was to order 84 CNG units (at least in 2021 when the original plan came out)

56 minutes ago, Express691 said:

There's this
https://www.burnabynow.com/local-news/translink-delays-electric-bus-purchases-in-favour-of-natural-gas-6626938

But this part is where it's incorrect

I thought the original plan was to order 84 CNG units (at least in 2021 when the original plan came out)

Yeah I don't see any deviation from what was already planned.  I believe what he states as how the vote went but everything else is just an oversimplification at best.  I think what he is trying to say is that ideally Translink would only buy battery electric onwards but we don't currently have infrastructure to support that.

4 hours ago, Untitled Transit said:

Anyone know if we will get XNs again, or is that still unknown?

3 hours ago, 96 Blader Line said:

There is a order of 84 or them coming soon.

would be hilarious if TransLink went with CNG Novas though. That's just my opinion though; the door is still open I'd say

16 hours ago, Express691 said:

would be hilarious if TransLink went with CNG Novas though. That's just my opinion though; the door is still open I'd say

I'd personally like to see them acquire something that isn't XNs. I keep hearing from drivers about the various issues the XN40s have, specifically the newer XN40s, and it does make me wish we'd purchase some buses from an alternative manufacturer like ENC or Nova