2023-2025 Standard 40' CNG Bus Procurement (Nova Bus LFS CNG)

Express691

The most recent estimate for delivery of the first batch of 50 is Q2-Q3 of this year, which would be between April and September, with the second batch following after that.

As for where they'll go, my personal theory is HTC because they have both Nova compatible lifts and CNG fueling stations, though PTC is also possible if they update the lifts as part of the depot renovation, but we'll have to wait and see to find out for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TransitFanKid said:

Does anyone know when these CNG Novabuses are coing to metro Vancouver, which transit centre?

41 minutes ago, andrewjoystick said:

The most recent estimate for delivery of the first batch of 50 is Q2-Q3 of this year, which would be between April and September, with the second batch following after that.

As for where they'll go, my personal theory is HTC because they have both Nova compatible lifts and CNG fueling stations, though PTC is also possible if they update the lifts as part of the depot renovation, but we'll have to wait and see to find out for sure.

Going off of a document cited on the CPTDB wiki, the information we have on hand would indicate that the first 50 of them will be allocated to PCTC, while the second batch of 84 will be split between STC, PCTC, and HTC

image.thumb.png.a24c462bb91ba554a7d790442136023e.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 981 said:

For all the members following this thread, I recommend keeping tabs on this thread here for updates on the Nova CNGs for the time being

Fair warning, i believe Calgary’s order of 75 CNG’s are due before Vancouver’s (in Q1 2024) and at the moment none of those have arrived in Calgary yet. So I’d say if any Vancouver Novas appear in that thread they’re more likely to be 232xx LFSe’s at this point in time. (The exception to my logic is if either one of the CNG orders is built at Plattsburgh, because I don’t know how much production is still taking place there now that Nova is leaving the US).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Busmanic92 said:

Consequently, the company has decided to close its Plattsburgh manufacturing and delivery facility by 2025.

https://www.volvogroup.com/en/news-and-media/news/2023/jun/news-4571491.html

Guessing they'll continue current orders but not accept any new ones.

This is old information and your post is highly misleading. They are exiting the US to focus on the Canadian market, where they will continue to operate.

• Like 3

According to a bus operator at PTC in the Tvan discord server, PTC will most likely not get any new buses any time soon until the BEBs arrive. The C40LFRs will run as long as they can (thankfully). He said that any new buses needed will be HTC XN40s. However, this is gonna be close for the CNG tanks life in the C40LFRs, as they are set to expire in 2026.

Some people said the Nova CNGs will be sent to HTC and PTC will receive all 2016 XN40s. So HTC 40 ft buses are just gonna be nova nova nova nova… I feel bad. (I mean the 2nd gens are good though)

Thankfully, (feel free to correct me on this) Im pretty sure Nova CNGs havent even started building process yet. The LFSes for HTC are supposed to be built first. As of right now, we only have 23201 (in service) and 23204 (still being tested)

So thankfully I'm gonna guess that the C40LFRs will go right out the door by some time after spring in 2025. Because why? We are supposed to get Nova LFSes built first, which we only have 2 so far, and im pretty sure building 50 buses is gonna take a long time, and the inspections and all the testing when the Nova CNGs arrive is for sure gonna take a while. Feel free to correct me on any of this.

And yes.. the Novas are gonna be ZF… 🗿

On 3/5/2024 at 7:12 AM, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

According to a bus operator at PTC in the Tvan discord server, PTC will most likely not get any new buses any time soon until the BEBs arrive. The C40LFRs will run as long as they can (thankfully). He said that any new buses needed will be HTC XN40s. However, this is gonna be close for the CNG tanks life in the C40LFRs, as they are set to expire in 2026.

Some people said the Nova CNGs will be sent to HTC and PTC will receive all 2016 XN40s. So HTC 40 ft buses are just gonna be nova nova nova nova… I feel bad. (I mean the 2nd gens are good though)

Thankfully, (feel free to correct me on this) Im pretty sure Nova CNGs havent even started building process yet. The LFSes for HTC are supposed to be built first. As of right now, we only have 23201 (in service) and 23204 (still being tested)

So thankfully I'm gonna guess that the C40LFRs will go right out the door by some time after spring in 2025. Because why? We are supposed to get Nova LFSes built first, which we only have 2 so far, and im pretty sure building 50 buses is gonna take a long time, and the inspections and all the testing when the Nova CNGs arrive is for sure gonna take a while. Feel free to correct me on any of this.

Zeppelin Friedrichshafen are good transmissions... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

No. ZF is absolute dog $h!t.

The ZF transmission is the most fuel efficient automatic transmission for transit buses, and it's actually pretty good. The problem is how the geniuses at Translink decided to program them all in the name of pEnNy PiNcHiNg which is why they're so jerky

TLDR: They screwed with the retarder and locked the entire transmission into eco mode

• Like 4

On 3/5/2024 at 7:12 AM, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

I think you've got this mixed up. From a literal CMBC document, the new CNG Novas are scheduled to arrive April - September 2024 and are scheduled to replace the C40lfrs. The second batch scheduled for later in the year and earlier into 2025 are added to move all XN40s into STC. STC uses these buses to replace D40lfrs. HTC then gets BEBs and PTC also gets an order of BEB in 2025-2026.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TrainWatcher2128 said:

I think you've got this mixed up. From a literal CMBC document, the new CNG Novas are scheduled to arrive April - September 2024 and are scheduled to replace the C40lfrs. The second batch scheduled for later in the year and earlier into 2025 are added to move all XN40s into STC. STC uses these buses to replace D40lfrs. HTC then gets BEBs and PTC also gets an order of BEB in 2025-2026.

No. This is most likely not happening.

PTC cannot even handle the novas.

7 hours ago, 981 said:

The ZF transmission is the most fuel efficient automatic transmission for transit buses, and it's actually pretty good. The problem is how the geniuses at Translink decided to program them all in the name of pEnNy PiNcHiNg

TLDR: They screwed with the retarder and locked the entire transmission into eco mode

Personally, I think the Vicinity and NovaBus program ZF EcoLife transmission is very smooth and powerful Compare to NewFlyer Xcelsior.  I can feel the Engine RPM shift is higher and Retarder don't feel the bus going to heavy brake and Not jerkey at all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Antonov AN-225 Mriya said:

Personally, I think the Vicinity and NovaBus program ZF EcoLife transmission is very smooth and powerful Compare to NewFlyer Xcelsior.  I can feel the Engine RPM shift is higher and Retarder don't feel the bus going to heavy brake and Not jerkey at all.

From what I know, the way Translink programs the Ecolife transmissions makes the retarder function in increments which is why they're so jerky coming to a stop, as well as locking the transmission into eco mode, even going further as to override the transmission's software to keep it in eco mode on inclines which really messes with the shifting

I believe the only buses that don't have eco mode on their Ecolifes are the Nova Suburbans and the double deckers since they feel way too smooth. As for Xcelsiors they're plastic corporate cookie-cutter junk so I'm not surprised lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 981 said:

From what I know, the way Translink programs the Ecolife transmissions makes the retarder function in increments which is why they're so jerky coming to a stop, as well as locking the transmission into eco mode, even going further as to override the transmission's software to keep it in eco mode on inclines which really messes with the shifting

I believe the only buses that don't have eco mode on their Ecolifes are the Nova Suburbans and the double deckers since they feel way too smooth. As for Xcelsiors they're plastic corporate cookie-cutter junk so I'm not surprised lol

Yeah Xcelsiors feel pretty cheap.

15 hours ago, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

No. This is most likely not happening.

PTC cannot even handle the novas.

I guess we will wait and see, but what I stated above was literally written by CMBC lol. If you go back in the thread then you can find it for yourself. Also PTC can handle Novas. They had a few during the 2016 C40lfr shortage.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TrainWatcher2128 said:

I guess we will wait and see, but what I stated above was literally written by CMBC lol. If you go back in the thread then you can find it for yourself. Also PTC can handle Novas. They had a few during the 2016 C40lfr shortage.

P1001-1002 in the "Testing the Power of Tomorrow" phase comes to mind as well

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 12:50 PM, TrainWatcher2128 said:

Just so you know, the CMBC document plans are subject to change. For example, if it said 50 new  LFS HEVs are going to STC, it could change and be going to BTC (this isnt happening its just an example!)

15 minutes ago, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

Just so you know, the CMBC document plans are subject to change. For example, if it said 50 new  LFS HEVs are going to STC, it could change and be going to BTC (this isnt happening its just an example!)

Just so you know, CMBC isn’t going to change their plans simply because it upsets you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Coastal_BusSpotting said:

I don't think STC likes novas or can handle them. That side of Fraser should be xn40/xd40/xde60's (except what's ran by RTC, PCTC, BTC trippers like nightbus routes). 

But PCTC is pretty far behind on getting "new" 40' bus orders. Start sending those retirees from STC to PCTC, send the xn40 to STC. 

What a headache already. I'll just leave that as is.