Air Canada

Blue Bus Fan

After public scrutiny, Air Canada executives voluntary decide to return their bonuses that were received especially with the bailout package received from the federal government to stay afloat. Especially having to manage costs with the lower demand. 

You would think the federal government could have put a clause saying that the bailout funds must be used for operations and not executive bonuses. With COVID-19 still happening and once it is contained, will take time for demand to recover. Hearing that there have been cheap dosmetic flight tickets for a round trip to maintain current demand. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-canada-says-senior-executives-to-voluntarily-return-2020-bonuses-1.5458889

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

74 year old man arrested after making bomb threat at AC check-in agents at Fort Lauderdale Airport (FLL) resulting in evacuation of several terminals and delaying dozens of flights 

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-man-threatens-air-canada-agent-at-florida-airport-saying-he-had-bomb-in-his-bag/wcm/866e43e6-64d5-4a97-b025-0265c3f7f93a/amp/

• 1 month later...

I am no aviation photographer, but I spotted C-GBIK (Air Canada Jetz A319) at YYZ today in what appears to be the Liberal Party of Canada’s 2021 election campaign livery.  According to Flightradar24, it’s headed for YVR, and is expected to arrive at YVR at 9:23 PDT.

930D353F-353E-492E-8953-35BA6A37EDB8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Air Canada is planning to operate a route between Toronto Island Airport and Ottawa International Airport starting October 31st. Four trips to Ottawa and four trips to Toronto daily. With plans to increase to 8 trips daily in Summer 2022.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/air-canada-launching-new-ottawa-toronto-island-route-this-fall-1.5615311?fbclid=IwAR3mhfy91TyiT2pCK5rZOBpZJF5_FGPTwxCaTBJJDlRRxPRk68VEeXodQo0

I know Porter Airlines operates the stretch between Toronto Island Airport and Ottawa International Airport taking a trip once including return trip. A lot more convenient than trying to catch a flight from Pearson International Airport to Ottawa or a train/bus ride taking several hours. 

• 5 months later...

Bump.

Thought these would all be dead by now... Fin 225 (C-FKPT, 1992 A320-200) at YVR. I rode it back to YEG yesterday after thinking that my ceremonial last ride on one of these should have been like three years ago at this point lol.

DSC03689.thumb.JPG.76ef7455e9986ab55ff7502bd722e93c.JPG

• 2 months later...

Some major changes happening with Air Canada out of YYZ starting July 1st. May be in response to increasing delay/cancellation issues. I didn't see many of these changes earlier this week so these were likely pushed out in the past few days.

There are some service increases, but a majority of the changes are cuts.

EDIT: Looks like may been a scheduling issue with some destinations (IE - DCA is showing up again)

• Canada
    • Calgary - 11x daily from 10
    • Charlottetown - 1x daily from 3
    • Deer Lake - Cut for the summer 
    • Fort McMurray - Cut for the summer
    • Fredericton - 3x daily from 2
    • Kelowna - Upgauged to mainline MAX 8
    • London, ON - 3-4x daily from 2 (WestJet is also adding a flight)
    • Moncton - No change to frequency, but sole mainline flight is changed to Rouge.
    • Ottawa - 9x daily from 10x
    • Quebec City - 3x daily from 5
    • Saint John, NB - 1x daily from 2
    • Sudbury - 2x daily from 3
    • Vancouver - 12x daily from 13
    • Windsor - 2x daily from 4
    • Winnipeg - 2x daily from 4
  • USA
    • Baltimore - 3x daily from 2x 
    • Boston - 5x daily from 6x
    • Charlotte - 3x daily from 2x
    • Chicago - 5x daily from 6x
    • Cincinnati - Cut for the summer
    • Columbus - 2x daily from 3x
    • Detroit - 2x daily from 3x
    • Los Angeles - 5x daily from 4x in mid-July
    • Miami - 1x daily from 2x
    • Newark - 4x daily Jazz service from 3x (though this may be due to United going from 2x daily to 1x)
    • New York LGA - 8x daily from 9-10x
    • Orlando - 3x daily from 2x
    • Philadelphia - 1x daily from 4x (American still operating 4x daily, upgauging one E145 flight to a CRJ-900)
    • Raleigh-Durham - 2 out of 3 departures upgauged to mainline A220
    • San Francisco - 2x daily from 4
    • Washington DCA - Cut for the summer (American still operating 2x daily)

3 hours ago, Enzo Aquarius said:

Some major changes happening with Air Canada out of YYZ starting July 1st. May be in response to increasing delay/cancellation issues. I didn't see many of these changes earlier this week so these were likely pushed out in the past few days.

There are some service increases, but a majority of the changes are cuts.

• Canada
    • Calgary - 11x daily from 10
    • Charlottetown - 1x daily from 3
    • Deer Lake - Cut for the summer 
    • Fort McMurray - Cut for the summer
    • Fredericton - 3x daily from 2
    • Kelowna - Upgauged to mainline MAX 8
    • London, ON - 3-4x daily from 2 (WestJet is also adding a flight)
    • Moncton - No change to frequency, but sole mainline flight is changed to Rouge.
    • Ottawa - 9x daily from 10x
    • Quebec City - 3x daily from 5
    • Saint John, NB - 1x daily from 2
    • Sudbury - 2x daily from 3
    • Vancouver - 12x daily from 13
    • Windsor - 2x daily from 4
    • Winnipeg - 2x daily from 4
  • USA
    • Baltimore - 3x daily from 2x 
    • Boston - 5x daily from 6x
    • Charlotte - 3x daily from 2x
    • Chicago - 5x daily from 6x
    • Cincinnati - Cut for the summer
    • Columbus - 2x daily from 3x
    • Detroit - 2x daily from 3x
    • Los Angeles - 5x daily from 4x in mid-July
    • Miami - 1x daily from 2x
    • Newark - 4x daily Jazz service from 3x (though this may be due to United going from 2x daily to 1x)
    • New York LGA - 8x daily from 9-10x
    • Orlando - 3x daily from 2x
    • Philadelphia - 1x daily from 4x (American still operating 4x daily, upgauging one E145 flight to a CRJ-900)
    • Raleigh-Durham - 2 out of 3 departures upgauged to mainline A220
    • San Francisco - 2x daily from 4
    • Washington DCA - Cut for the summer (American still operating 2x daily)

Just seeing the service reductions on some routes and how some alternative airlines may be available to cover those trips.

It is pretty hard to provide scheduled service without the flight crews to deliver the service. Especially when they are shifting resources from lower demand routes and putting them onto higher demand corridors most likely based on ticket sales and how likely they can fill seats to ensure a proper balance.

Considering that all of Air Canada's flights from Pearson operate from Terminal 1. It looks to be pretty expensive having to rebook passengers onto alternative flights along with how their business model does rely on overbooking to manage their costs in case of no shows. Air travel will be pretty difficult with the ongoing challenges of staffing. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Air Canada is reducing service from Calgary to several different destinations effective at the end of October. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/air-canada-routes-calgary-eliminating-1.6952225

Final comments:

Have to manage the limited resources especially when Westjet along with low cost airlines are taking away market share. Calgary of course being Westjet main hub for operations along with low cost airlines operating similar corridors. 

• 4 weeks later...

Air Canada has placed a firm order for 18 Boeing Dreamliner aircraft with an option for an additional 12 Boeing 787-10 aircraft if demand warrants. 

Expected delivery is Q4 2025 with the last unit arriving by Q1 2027.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/air-canada-buying-18-boeing-787-10-dreamliner-aircraft-1.1975940

Final comments:

I have noticed Air Canada has added additional routes effective late October. Adding Toronto to Las Vegas evening departure round trip with a Dreamliner. Trying to better service limited long haul trips with higher seating capacity where demand warrants. Especially with the difficulties of hiring and retaining flight crew. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Air Canada unveils first upgraded Airbus A321 with all new interior and cabin technology. 

https://media.aircanada.com/2023-10-23-Air-Canada-Unveils-First-Upgraded-Airbus-A321-with-an-All-New-Interior-and-Industry-Leading-Cabin-Technology

The list of new cabin features are:

• Larger overhead bins – Latest Airbus Airspace XL design, the largest overhead bins in-class that will also be installed on the Airbus A321XLRs.
  • Upgraded seating – Presents a standardized product across the Air Canada narrowbody fleet in both Business Class and Economy. The new seats are designed to optimize passenger personal space, improve ergonomics, and provide more storage giving customers a more comfortable experience.
  • Bluetooth audio – Air Canada's newest IFE system will feature a Bluetooth-enabled seatback monitor. Customers will be able to connect their personal headsets while watching video on demand, live TV, or listening to podcasts or music. This initiative helps reduce usage of single-use headphones and supports Air Canada's sustainability objectives in reducing waste.
  • New exterior cameras – Customers can now watch their flight live thanks to a new first-in-class narrowbody tail and belly camera system providing high-resolution, real-time video of the aircraft exterior. 
  • Full colour LED mood lighting – New cabin lighting system will allow different ambiances to be set depending on time of day and phase of flight.
  • Fast and reliable Wi-Fi – Upgraded satellite-based connectivity.
  • Power options at all seats – All customers have access to power outlets, USB-A, and USB-C.

The remaining 14 Airbus A321 and 8 Airbus A320 will be retrofitted with the new amenities right now and anticipated to be completed by the end of 2025.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Air Canada will be launching flights (on a seasonal basis) to Stockholm Arlanda Airport (ARN) from Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and Montreal Trudeau (YUL) starting in June 2024.

The service will be twice-weekly (two times a week) from Toronto while the service from Montreal will be offering the service thrice-weekly (three times a week).

Not sure why Air Canada wanted to launch service to this Swedish Capital but this is likely in anticipation of Scandinavian Airlines - to make a grand departure (pun intended) from the Star Alliance airline alliance (in which both Air Canada and Scandinavian Airlines are the founding members) in favour of joining Skyteam (in which Air France and KLM are members of).

Source: https://www.travelweek.ca/news/airlines/air-canada-to-launch-new-summer-seasonal-flights-to-stockholm/

Edited by FutureHeartsJunkie
adding missing points due to the post originally made via mobile device
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Air Canada is better improving their tracking process for checked baggage. That is assuming if the employee scans it into the database.

https://media.aircanada.com/2023-12-01-Air-Canada-Customers-Can-Now-Track-their-Baggage-and-Mobility-Aids-while-Travelling-in-Canada

Right now, it is only within Canada. It will be rolled out to US flights next year and select international destinations after. 

Final comments:

Air Canada can say they have a high reliability rate of delivering checked baggage on-time. Though, I think they are simply being more proactive to avoid dealing frequently asked questions regarding if checked baggage reaches the final destination for pickup or needing to retrieve it between flights. Considering that some passengers are using AirTags or similar items to track their checked baggage.

For me, I always stick to the one carry-on item and earlier boarding zone if possible. I personally don't like checked baggage. Always prefer my carry-on close to me so I can see where it is at all times. 

• 1 month later...

Air Canada is pulling out of Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) effective April 1st. Flying daily from Toronto (YYZ) and Montreal (YUL).

Service to Washington DC will still be provided at Ronald Regan Washington International Airport (DCA) and Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD).

Link here: https://thebulkheadseat.com/air-canada-pulls-out-of-baltimore-after-april-1st/

Final comments:

The last time I visited Washington DC which was back in October 2019, looking carefully because of the three airports in the area. Of course, I picked Ronald Regan Washington International Airport because of the direct connection to the subway back then.

Dulles International Airport also has a subway connection too.

Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport is 40 minutes away from Washington DC driving. I would rather take Dulles or Regan and take the subway to connect to my final destination. 

Used to fly to BWI a few times a year pre-2020. Figured AC would give it the boot eventually with the proximity to IAD/DCA/PHL. 

With the Silver Line extension to IAD and Amtrak connections, BWI is a lot more accessible from the other nearby airports.

• 1 month later...

Air Canada will be launching a new service from Montreal Trudeau (YUL) airport to Seoul Incheon Airport (ICN) starting June 2024. The service will be 4x (four times) weekly though it will run on a seasonal basis from June to October.

Further Reading: 

https://milesopedia.com/en/news/airlines/air-canada-montreal-seoul/
https://blog.rewardscanada.ca/news/air-canada-montreal-seoul/