GOVA (formerly Greater Sudbury Transit)

Sudbury_Transit

Or is there anything new this year, route-wise?

Did you check this before posting? http://www.city.grea...ubapps/tenders/

In response to the first question, there is one new route change that was made. The introduction of route 314 Lasalle/Boreal. This route runs from Westmount Ave, down Barrydowne Road and then down Lasalle Blvd ending at College Boreal. Its purpose is to relieve the loads on the 401, 014, 301 and 302 buses. Seeing as its still in its trial stage, it only runs during the morning rush hour but may be extended to afternoons if demand is there. As a driver, it sure would take the load off the 014 Kathleen buses during the PM rush!

In response to new buses, none for this year. However next year, the final order of the 5 year NovaBus contract is due to be here, for some reason, they forgot to put 2012 in the contract, instead 2013. Looks like 5 2013 LFS's will be here mid year, ending the days for the final 4 Orion 6's. Myself and Vincent are planning a charter to bid farewell to them sometime in the new year, stay tuned for details! Thats all I have for now!

Good to hear from you again.

I'm itching for a trip north.

Thanks buddy! Yeah its about time I get back on here and start posting, starting to update the old photosite too, my bosses keep bugging me for new pics :P! Anyways yes you should come up for sure! Come for a ride or somethin if you want as well, seeing as I pretty much work everyday. I was down in TO a few weekends ago, thought of you but of course didn't have your #, PM me and we'll set something up for sure!

in response to new buses, none for this year. However next year, the final order of the 5 year NovaBus contract is due to be here, for some reason, they forgot to put 2012 in the contract, instead 2013. Looks like 5 2013 LFS's will be here mid year, ending the days for the final 4 Orion 6's. Myself and Vincent are planning a charter to bid farewell to them sometime in the new year, stay tuned for details! Thats all I have for now!

Sounds good as I will be planning on attending, just hopefully we can get the charter coach that Vincent wants for the trip up!

• 5 months later...

Merto Magazine has an article about new buses for Sudbury. It makes the buses seem positively... futuristic. This is suspicious because we are talking about Sudbury.

It's also funny that they are being delivered to "Canada", since, well that is where they are built.

Nova Bus delivering LFS buses to Canada

Ontario, Canada-based Sudbury Transit is taking delivery of three new Nova LFS buses with newly-designed interiors.

Sudbury’s new LFS Smart Buses include many improvements, from the driver partition to the rear of the vehicle. Inspired by aerospace and rail transportation, their design was optimized based on customer and focus group feedback.

“These new vehicles showcase the evolution of our products through the years,” explained Nova Bus President Jean-Pierre Baracat. “Sudbury is a longtime partner of Nova Bus and we’re committed to providing solutions that make sense in their daily operations.”

Sudbury received their first Nova LFS buses in 1998. Their new buses are easier to maintain compared to previous models. Changes include a seamless floor, cantilevered seat legs and wall extrusions that have fewer dust traps. The redesigned rear tunnel also improves access to main components.

The interior was designed to offer passengers a more comfortable ride. Ceiling headroom through the entire length of the vehicle is increased on the street side. Natural light is optimized during the day. At night, LED lighting makes the passenger environment brighter.

Sudbury’s new buses also mark a step towards greener efficiency. They integrate the Nova eCooling system which reduces fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/news/story/2013/04/nova-bus-delivering-lfs-buses-to-canada.aspx

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Alright so this thread has not been active in a long time but I visited Sudbury recently and I can confirm that there fleet is up to 855 now, The new buses are numbered 851-855 and were delivered in May/June 2015. Also the 1995 D40LF and one of the 1st generation NovaBus LFS's. There was a rumor that the next buses might be New Flyer's. Well that was a little update for ya'll

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
32 minutes ago, MCI102A3 said:

Hot 93.5 posted a couple pics on their FB page, showing what looks like a Gen-3 Nova burned to a crisp in Capreol. Back end and midship is toast, while the front end is barely touched. Safe to say she's a total loss.

I wonder what the cause was. Maybe the rough roads jarred something loose....

2 hours ago, swimmer_spe said:

I wonder what the cause was. Maybe the rough roads jarred something loose....

Yeah, could be. They reported on the news websites shortly before I had dinner that there were four people on board, plus the driver. Everybody's safe. The driver pulled over when he saw smoke coming out the rear according to the news.

4 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

Hot 93.5 posted a couple pics on their FB page, showing what looks like a Gen-3 Nova burned to a crisp in Capreol. Back end and midship is toast, while the front end is barely touched. Safe to say she's a total loss.

The unit that had been completely burnt in the fire was a 2011 NovaBus LFS #817.

• 2 weeks later...