Regional Transit Service - Rochester NY (R-GRTA)

RailBus63

Wow - surprised to find that there was no thread in this forum for the R-GRTA in Rochester, New York. Well, there is now!

Question - the wiki roster page for Regional Transit Service shows five New Flyer XD40 Xcelsiors being delivered last year. Does anyone have photos of these buses? I did not hear a thing about this order - the only buses I was aware of RTS getting in 2011 was the Gillig 900-series.

I tried getting photos of the new Xcelsiors on my way to Albany for the BHA, but none of the five were either in service or visible at the garage. I have a friend who drives for RGRTA and he posted some photos of these new buses. They're numbered 1291-1295. They have a Cummins ISL9 and Allison B400R.

I haven't seen those buses yet either, but only five of them probably would make it difficult to find them. The wiki page doesn't seem right though... The ex Utah D60LF's I thought were retired. Here was a link of some pics with a few for sale... http://transitsales....floor-buses/28/. Also the years and engines always seem to be switched, AFAIK 721-739 were 2005 units. It also says the 2009 and 2011 units have an ISC engine. I thought the 500's (Gillig BRT's) had an ISL, but I wouldn't know for sure unless I would be able to see the builder's plate. Or the engine. The model years for the 1251-1283 have switched back and forth from 1999 to 2000 a few times as well.

RGRTA did redesign their web site recently... http://www.rgrta.com/

I tried getting photos of the new Xcelsiors on my way to Albany for the BHA, but none of the five were either in service or visible at the garage. I have a friend who drives for RGRTA and he posted some photos of these new buses. They're numbered 1291-1295. They have a Cummins ISL9 and Allison B400R.

Did your friend post them on a website or Flickr?

FYI there used to be some good fleet info on this page, you can comb through the editing history a bit (scroll down to see the actual page):

http://cptdb.ca/wiki...&action=history

I'd go though and piece together everything that's already in the wiki so we could have a complete roster of retired and active units, but what's the point if it just gets changed a day later?

Wow - surprised to find that there was no thread in this forum for the R-GRTA in Rochester, New York. Well, there is now!

Question - the wiki roster page for Regional Transit Service shows five New Flyer XD40 Xcelsiors being delivered last year. Does anyone have photos of these buses? I did not hear a thing about this order - the only buses I was aware of RTS getting in 2011 was the Gillig 900-series.

I've seen photos on Facebook page.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI there used to be some good fleet info on this page, you can comb through the editing history a bit (scroll down to see the actual page):

http://cptdb.ca/wiki...&action=history

I'd go though and piece together everything that's already in the wiki so we could have a complete roster of retired and active units, but what's the point if it just gets changed a day later?

Seems the Wiki has RTC historical fleet, and RTS current fleet, but no RTS historical fleet (e.g. 1970 Flxibles). Are these intended to be listed somewhere?

• 1 month later...

Rochester-Genesee, NY Awards New Flyer A New Contract For 129 Xcelsior Transit Buses

New Flyer Industries Inc. NFI

11/9/2012 5:26:00 PM

Rochester-Genesee, NY Awards New Flyer A New Contract For 129 Xcelsior Transit Buses
WINNIPEG, Nov. 9, 2012 /CNW/ - (TSX:NFI; TSX:NFI.DB.U) New Flyer Industries Inc. ("New Flyer" or the "Company"), the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty transit buses in Canada and the United States, announced today that Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority ("RGRTA") has awarded New Flyer a contract for 129 40-foot clean diesel powered Xcelsior buses. The RGRTA board approved the contract for delivery of 33 firm buses with options for an additional 96 buses over the five-year term of the contract.
"New Flyer is delighted to continue building buses for Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority. They are such a great example of a dependable and progressive transit agency that focuses on high quality and best value over the life of a transit bus. Since 1999, New Flyer has proudly delivered 73 buses to RGRTA in a variety of lengths and models," said Paul Soubry, New Flyer's President and Chief Executive Officer. "RGRTA fleet will continue to have the full support of the New Flyer warranty, service, training, spare parts and lifetime Customer Care program."
The 33 Xcelsior buses will begin production immediately and are expected to be delivered in the second quarter of 2013. The buses will be completely manufactured and assembled at New Flyer of America's St. Cloud, Minnesota manufacturing facility.
RGRTA's active fleet size is approximately 250 buses, of which 29% are New Flyer buses.

We did get to see the Xcelsiors on the MBS convention tour on Saturday. Sweet-looking bus in the RGRTA paint scheme!

I'd still be interested in photos.

Interesting that Rochester has ordered more XD40s. Looks like they were buying Gilligs as recently as last year.

Seems the Wiki has RTC historical fleet, and RTS current fleet, but no RTS historical fleet (e.g. 1970 Flxibles). Are these intended to be listed somewhere?

The only historic bus we saw on the MBS tour was the Old Look. If RGRTA has any Flxibles or other historic buses, they were well-hidden.

The only historic bus we saw on the MBS tour was the Old Look. If RGRTA has any Flxibles or other historic buses, they were well-hidden.

Actually, I was reverring to this page http://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Rochester-Genesee_Regional_Transportation_Service which shows fleet going back to the 1970 Flxible New Looks. Did the author want to go back further? (I used to ride on the 1200 Twin Coaches).

• 2 months later...

WINNIPEG, Feb. 11, 2013 /CNW/ - (TSX: NFI; TSX: NFI.DB.U) New Flyer Industries Inc. announced today that Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority ("RGRTA") has exercised options under an existing contract, signed August 2009 for 20 60-foot heavy-duty Xcelsior articulated clean diesel buses.

"We are very excited to build our 60' articulated Xcelsior bus for Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority. This announcement builds on their recent contact award to New Flyer for our 40' Xcelsior buses and demonstrates their commitment to industry leading quality and value," said Paul Soubry, New Flyer's President and Chief Executive Officer.

Ten of the twenty articulated buses are scheduled to begin production in the first quarter of 2013 with delivery anticipated to occur in the second quarter of 2013. The remaining ten will begin production and be delivered in the second quarter of 2013. The buses will be completely manufactured and assembled at New Flyer of America's St. Cloud, Minnesota manufacturing facility.

RGRTA's active heavy duty fleet size remains at 253 buses, after both the 33 bus New Flyer award, announcedNovember 9, 2012 and the above 20 buses are built. These twenty New Flyer buses will be replacements for buses currently in RGRTA's fleet.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/news-sources/?date=+20130211&archive=cnw&slug=C4736

--

XD60s! Looks like RGRTA will be among the first to have them.

Ridership must be strong on certain routes?

For sure. When I was there in January 2012 I rode the 24 downtown for some photos, had a D60LFR going in, which was pretty loaded after picking up the morning group of folks selling their blood at the plasma clinic, plus this was a return trip from dropping off at RIT. On the outbound it was a Gillig 40' suburban, packed with about 45 passengers heading to Marketplace Mall, the plasma clinic and other various locations. Da Roc fell pretty hard on its arse when Kodak was no longer part of the picture, today there are a lot of people struggling and for them transit is likely the only way to get around.

I know in the past RGRTA-RTS was issuing notices of interest for used articulated units, so they have been needing artic buses for a while.

For sure. When I was there in January 2012 I rode the 24 downtown for some photos, had a D60LFR going in, which was pretty loaded after picking up the morning group of folks selling their blood at the plasma clinic, plus this was a return trip from dropping off at RIT. On the outbound it was a Gillig 40' suburban, packed with about 45 passengers heading to Marketplace Mall, the plasma clinic and other various locations. Da Roc fell pretty hard on its arse when Kodak was no longer part of the picture, today there are a lot of people struggling and for them transit is likely the only way to get around.

I know in the past RGRTA-RTS was issuing notices of interest for used articulated units, so they have been needing artic buses for a while.

Im pretty sure RGRTA-RTS has have used artics in the past.

Im pretty sure RGRTA-RTS has have used artics in the past.

They were operating some Neoplans from Houston IIRC. Even with those and the D60LF though they were still having capacity problems, so they issued an RFP for used artics, and then another for new artics. The later being awarded to NF and resulting in the D60LFR order.

I hear you, thanks for the first-hand account!