Regional Transit Service - Rochester NY (R-GRTA)

RailBus63

Thanks to my Dad for calling me this morning to let me know this was at a local Walmart (Same one that MTA Xcelsior appeared at a year ago):

(pictures removed)

Day-um! B)

Somebody tell RailBus63 these are coming his way. That bus is the total package when it comes to looks.

(well ok could be even better with a rear window--and I miss the X on the cooling fan grille.)

Love the aluminum wheels.

Excellent photos - looks like I need to take a trip to Rochester soon!

Funny, I was going to say the same thing. I would like to get over there soon while the transition is happening, before the first order of D40LF's are all gone.

I just checked the 'Where's My Bus' tracker on the RGRTA website - not only are the 1300's are in service (1301, 1302, 1306, 1307, 1312, 1316, 1317, 1323) but one of the XD60's is showing up also (372).

Looks like they forgot to tell CPTDB they had these in their possession already :ph34r:B)

Now we need a photo of the artic.

Two D40LF's showed up this afternoon on the bus tracker - 1204 and 1282.

Haven't seen any of the NABI's - must be completely restricted to school trips these days.

There used to be a pie graph from 2008 that I used to be able to google, that showed the mileage of the fleet at that time. I can't find it now, but the NABI's service miles were as low as the Nova Classic's. The New Flyer and Gillig buses had a majority of the service miles. It is always nice to see one when in Rochester, NABI's are becoming pretty rare in this part of the state. The express NABI's are super rare, but saw two my last trip I was there. Never bumped into the MCI's yet though.

Both the NABI's and the MCI's were at the garage when the Motor Bus Society visited last October. They've usually been found on the rush hour express routes that run from the 'Broad St. station' stop downtown, although the 800-series Gilligs tend to dominate those routes.

I'd love to see one of the NABI suburbans in the RGRTA colors - all of the ones I've ever seen have been wrapped. They are mostly high-floor, with just a short low-floor section in front. Gwinnett Transit in Georgia also had single-door NABI's in this configuration.

• 5 weeks later...

Wowzers! Their Xcelsiors look great! Thank you for sharing. Not to nitpick, but couldn't of they put the license plate off to the side? Also notice the block sign in the winshield is an LED sign instead of the old roll number signs used on previous models.

• 3 months later...

Looking at the wiki, wondering if all the New Flyer D40LF and D60LF's are retired. I have scanned through the RGRTA where's my bus online during peak time, and didn't see any of the numbers of those buses. RGRTA has approx 250 buses. I counted from the NABI's (current oldest buses in the fleet?) up to the newest order of buses and got 256. Not counting the older New Flyer buses that I suspect are retired..

Photos from my visit last Monday:

10164114414_dc9abcbd01_t.jpg 10164351263_5607085699_t.jpg 10164287086_9033f8d0b2_t.jpg 10164339563_d8fb2b44a1_t.jpg 10164276376_2e9b6764ea_t.jpg 10164267326_c3e7742215_t.jpg 10164197655_9f6e30e093_t.jpg 10164249306_73a4bd6f37_t.jpg 10164303283_d8c28c91fb_t.jpg 10164295003_abc678b51e_t.jpg

Nice to get a photo of 1332 in service to go with my shots of it in delivery at the Eagan, MN Walmart :P

I saw one other NABI suburban, also one D40LF was on the 24, maybe on a school run? I think there was another on a regional route run as well. They are defintitely disappearing quickly though.

• Like 1

Private deals help RGRTA keep bus fares low

A dollar gets Rochester-area bus passengers much farther than in many other parts of upstate New York. The Regional Transit Service’s $1 regular fare is half as much as in Buffalo and Syracuse. In Albany, dig out your change — a bus ride costs $1.50.Yet it probably is no cheaper to run a bus system here. One difference that sets the Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority apart financially is a series of agreements with large institutions in the region, including universities, a social service agency and a nursing home, that pay subsidies for bus service. ... continue reading

• 1 month later...

Cool find. Always good news for transit when new buses are on the way!

If the oldest buses are only 11 years old, perhaps these are for new service?

Naw, I checked the wiki and there are 20 of the 11 year old NABI buses. Sounds like replacement all the way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...