TTC Application Process

ericgu22

yeah from what I remember, it costs roughly 26k a student to do the training so it's pretty pricy to lay off.. I guess since the ops that are all ON are safe for now but the ones in training and coming are in the predicament .. I keep hearing they want to eliminate OT and make all crews 8hrs .. don't know how true it is but I was told from a senior op that's 25 years on so take it for what it's worth lol

Doesn't really cost though they lay them off they go in the pool and get brought back when there's space. Lots of companies do the exact same thing its annoying as an employee but as an employer its pretty smart.

You don't have to pay people you don't need, dont have to worry about finding people last minute. My last company laid off half the drivers last year, they're all back now. Seems to be the way of the world now, either that or agency employees.

yeah from what I remember, it costs roughly 26k a student to do the training so it's pretty pricy to lay off.. I guess since the ops that are all ON are safe for now but the ones in training and coming are in the predicament .. I keep hearing they want to eliminate OT and make all crews 8hrs .. don't know how true it is but I was told from a senior op that's 25 years on so take it for what it's worth lol

Some senior guys like to play mind games with the junior ops through rumor, gossip and innuendo. Unless they're reading Byford's mind they wouldn't have any way of knowing that anymore than you would. Those rumors have been going around forever. Still hasn't happened.

Its roughly a 10k investment per trainee and remember its cheaper to pay OT than hire more people. With all the transit improvements coming everyone should be OK. Only thing to worry about is next contract in 4 years.

So there's major service improvements coming, and people think this is the right time for them to get laid off. And OT isn't always great, because all drivers are still required to get a certain amount of sleep, OT can't cover everything, eventually you need new Ops.

One thing I learned about TTC is that there is way too many rumors, and you find out which ones makes sense, and which doesn't. Most people at TTC don't know whats going on, and the amount of years an employee has is irrelevant. I can honestly, with out a doubt say that. But when your new, you are extremely gullible. I find that most info from this site, CPTDB, is more reliable than the info from your fellow co workers. I'm not joking.

I meet people at TTC that never took the system until they applied for the job and had to do the job Shadowing.

So there's major service improvements coming, and people think this is the right time for them to get laid off. And OT isn't always great, because all drivers are still required to get a certain amount of sleep, OT can't cover everything, eventually you need new Ops.

One thing I learned about TTC is that there is way too many rumors, and you find out which ones makes sense, and which doesn't. Most people at TTC don't know whats going on, and the amount of years an employee has is irrelevant. I can honestly, with out a doubt say that. But when your new, you are extremely gullible. I find that most info from this site, CPTDB, is more reliable than the info from your fellow co workers. I'm not joking.

I meet people at TTC that never took the system until they applied for the job and had to do the job Shadowing.

There will always be a need for new ops, that will never change especially more so if levels are returned to 2011 levels.

I have also noticed a definite reduction in crew values over the last few years as well.

Only thing to worry about is next contract in 4 years.

You keep saying that without any facts to back it up. What are you implying? It's vague, ambiguous and fear mongering to new ops. People say that about every contract year including the last contract year and look how that turned out. 4 years from now is a long way away, no one can predict what will happen.

You keep saying that without any facts to back it up. What are you implying? It's vague, ambiguous and fear mongering to new ops. People say that about every contract year including the last contract year and look how that turned out. 4 years from now is a long way away, no one can predict what will happen.

Relax, don't get your panties in a knot. True who knows what may happen at any time none the less 4 years from now...just things may not always be so rosey. Fear mongering? I would argue opposite that I'm very positive that if service levels are returned to 2011 levels there will be a lot more hiring to come.

There will always be a need for new ops, that will never change especially more so if levels are returned to 2011 levels.

I have also noticed a definite reduction in crew values over the last few years as well.

Subways hasn't changed. Still big paying crews. Any idea what streetcars are like?

are any of the new ops coming to birchmount?

so far, we've got a huge influx of training classes coming in but nobody senior is deciding to retire so its confusing..

as far as the rumor about lay offs, is that just b.s or is that something actually happening ?

i have a friend going for his interview in Feb and was just curious to find out.

Hi

Atleast i m coming to birchmount from 2nd February.

this layoff thing is just rumour.

Car Insurance is increasing, New Immigrants coming everyday, TTC Plans to expand their transit system so how can they give layoff. AND 80% TTC Revenue Coming from Customer.

Anybody knows how many night bus routes in birchmount division?

as far as the rumor about lay offs, is that just b.s or is that something actually happening ?

Layoffs? How can there be any rumours of layoffs, now that the city has released the proposed 2015 budget that includes 797 new TTC staff positions, mostly to increase service. Presumably many of these positions will be operators.

See the gory details in the 66-page briefing notes for the 2015 operating budget - http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toronto/Strategic%20Communications/City%20Budget/2015/PDFs/Operating%20Analyst%20Notes/Final%20-%20BC%20Operating%20Notes%20-%20TTC.pdf

Layoffs? How can there be any rumours of layoffs, now that the city has released the proposed 2015 budget that includes 797 new TTC staff positions, mostly to increase service. Presumably many of these positions will be operators.

See the gory details in the 66-page briefing notes for the 2015 operating budget - http://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20Toronto/Strategic%20Communications/City%20Budget/2015/PDFs/Operating%20Analyst%20Notes/Final%20-%20BC%20Operating%20Notes%20-%20TTC.pdf

No rumours of layoffs, just a rumour that new trainees are signing a document they may be laid off after the Pan Ams but would be first recalled. I've heard it from people at two divisions so either its complete BS and shows you how false rumours spread like wild fire....or ? But as nfitz mentioned many more to be hired and many also due to retire... all good things.

Thnak U very much for informing about night bus routes.

It may be weird but i would like to drive night bus.

Is it easy for new operator to get late relief and/or night bus? At Birchmount Division.

Thanks on Advance.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/8304.shtml

You can use this site to see who has what. Birchmount has Vic park, coxwell, mccowan and bloor Danforth which is shared with 3 other divisions.

Thanks LMESSIAH

I checked the webpage. One question what is the difference between red and black letters.

Hi everyone,

I got call from the ministry of transportation, however, i missed the called. They left a message stating that they have graded class form for my driving license for the TTC and that i can go ahead for my Commercial testing.

Never mind this post. I emailed the recruiter to clear the confusion.

Thnak U very much for informing about night bus routes.

It may be weird but i would like to drive night bus.

Is it easy for new operator to get late relief and/or night bus? At Birchmount Division.

Thanks on Advance.

Thanks LMESSIAH

I checked the webpage. One question what is the difference between red and black letters.

Nothing wrong with night buses. I loved it.