TransLink Future - Dream's and Aspirations

cleowin

But the thing is, the trolley system is impeding all possible future expansions due to its height of the wires. You tree huggers could get like XE40.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Please give me an example of how trolley wires are impeding future expansion. It's an interesting argument because in the half a century of trolley bus service in Vancouver, I've never heard of that being an issue. On a side note, congratulations on your audacious move to call the many pro-trolley members of this forum 'tree huggers'.

But the thing is, the trolley system is impeding all possible future expansions due to its height of the wires. You tree huggers could get like XE40.

Future expansions? Clearly you've never been downtown during the summer. Plus if you wanted double deckers you could do one of three things. Go south to the US, go west to Victoria or go back home to your (parents) apartment in Hong Kong and never ever come back. Also if you had a brain, clearly you would have noticed that none of of the depots have the clearance for a double decker. At all.

Really, the height of the trolley wires is impeding expansion. First of all, what expansion? Double decker buses wouldn't be an issue, as tour companies already operate them throughout Downtown Vancouver. Second, even if all the trolley wires were removed to allow for better height clearance that would not change the situation as you would also have to begin a campaign to raise streetlights, traffic lights, street signs throughout the city, not to mention the skytrain guideway isn't even that much higher than the trolley wires at some points.

Double decker buses wouldn't be an issue, as tour companies already operate them throughout Downtown Vancouver. Second, even if all the trolley wires were removed to allow for better height clearance that would not change the situation as you would also have to begin a campaign to raise streetlights, traffic lights, street signs throughout the city, not to mention the skytrain guideway isn't even that much higher than the trolley wires at some points.

Although Micheal has already covered it, here's some stats.

Prevost Entertainer coaches with the slightly raised roofs come out at 12.4', while the Enviro 500 is 13.5'.

A C40LFR tops out at 11'.

So, an Enviro 500 would be 2.5' taller than a CNG. No problems with trolley wire clearance.

I'm afraid we have a case of a FFB. A Foaming Fan Boy. They usually make comments that are not thought out, but somehow make sense to them. These comments leave everyone else rolling their eyes.

If it is impeding all future expansions, then why have we had the trolley system for over 60 years? For those 60 years no one really had a problem and yet within those 60 years we've expanded the trolley system... And who are you to call tree huggers? Nice move man. Keep going.

Unlike several people here... I don't believe BCPublicTransitFan's comments are totally erratic... since the issue with trolley wire height has been brought up a few times in the past. This can simply be rectified by changing the height of the wires in certain places - though then again there doesn't seem to be much need for this. I'd say IF TransLink does get Enviro 500 double-deck buses, perhaps to replace the Orion Vs in five years' time on the busiest suburban routes, it'd be well beyond where the trolley wires go.

However, to lash out at others who favor trolleybuses and call them 'treehuggers' is uncalled for, in any circumstance. Unfortunately this can be the attitude of younger members who are not over the age of eighteen - having been one myself once. All we can do is try to minimize the effect of any of this sort of behavior by letting our younger member know that what he is doing is wrong, and to try and see things from everyone's perspective, not just his own. It might be too much to ask for, but it should be worth a try.

You gotta chill a bit like this is a dreams and aspiration thread. He can say what ever he wants to as this is just a thread to express how you want this transit system too look like.

/snip

Since this is a Dreams and Aspirations thread ... my dream is to see the bus system increased by about 100 or more buses. The current service level sucks.

Regards

NotQuite

Well, how many '95s have we lost recently? A batch of 15 or so have been taken out late September. What routes/yards could definitely use some more buses?

I am thinking that more buses could lessen maintenance costs, but they also need space at the yard.

Since this is a Dreams and Aspirations thread ... my dream is to see the bus system increased by about 100 or more buses. The current service level sucks.

Regards

NotQuite

Regards

NotQuite

Agree many routes in the system needs a increase in the frequency.

Well, how many '95s have we lost recently? A batch of 15 or so have been taken out late September. What routes/yards could definitely use some more buses?

I am thinking that more buses could lessen maintenance costs, but they also need space at the yard.

How many 95's are even left ? Like 10 ? I would say that RTC needs more buses right now.

Future expansions? Clearly you've never been downtown during the summer. Plus if you wanted double deckers you could do one of three things. Go south to the US, go west to Victoria or go back home to your (parents) apartment in Hong Kong and never ever come back. Also if you had a brain, clearly you would have noticed that none of of the depots have the clearance for a double decker. At all.

And do you really need to say go back home to your parents apartment in Hong Kong and never come back. Isn't that a bit to harsh and crossed the line a bit?

And do you really need to say go back home to your parents apartment in Hong Kong and never come back. Isn't that a bit to harsh and crossed the line a bit?

It is harsh, but I think that a lot of people are losing their patience with those members who are biased or bigoted, careless in the way in which they post (e.g. poor grammar) and lack common courtesy/etiquette.

------------------------

This here is a good demonstration of the issue(s)....

http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=4280&st=7300&p=620322entry620322

Quite a shame, really.

Well yea people are getting impatient these days and I won't lie I too am one of those being impatient. I do get his point as I too don't understand what he is trying to say.

Well for the Viva thread you can see that that smallspy said at what time do you go away exactly. From my POV I saw that comment as when will you GTFO of here. So I thought that wasn't right to say so I stepped in and now you can see I'm having a argument with kit kat. I don't like causing arguments especially over the internet but ones somebody gets me going theirs no stopping. Ill admit that I'm a hypocrite for saying that's harsh while I said he'll go away when you get hit by a bus. But now knowing that this is going nowhere I kinda regret continuing the argument. Hopefully smallspy , I, and many other forum members will use other words than using harsh words.

Well yea people are getting impatient these days and I won't lie I too am one of those being impatient. I do get his point as I too don't understand what he is trying to say.

Well for the Viva thread you can see that that smallspy said at what time do you go away exactly. From my POV I saw that comment as when will you GTFO of here. So I thought that wasn't right to say so I stepped in and now you can see I'm having a argument with kit kat. I don't like causing arguments especially over the internet but ones somebody gets me going theirs no stopping. Ill admit that I'm a hypocrite for saying that's harsh while I said he'll go away when you get hit by a bus. But now knowing that this is going nowhere I kinda regret continuing the argument. Hopefully smallspy , I, and many other forum members will use other words than using harsh words.

It's too easy to get frustrated and then act on those frustrations; people should learn to evaluate themselves and their posts to determine whether they are (a) part of the solution or (B) part of the problem. If someone is going to contribute to the problem by attacking others and getting defensive, they might as well not post at all (it won't do anyone any favours). Having said that, I realise that I sometimes violate this principle (as in my first post on this page), but it is a good general guideline for keeping things civilized.

It's too easy to get frustrated and then act on those frustrations; people should learn to evaluate themselves and their posts to determine whether they are (a) part of the solution or (B) part of the problem. If someone is going to contribute to the problem by attacking others and getting defensive, they might as well not post at all (it won't do anyone any favours). Having said that, I realise that I sometimes violate this principle (as in my first post on this page), but it is a good general guideline for keeping things civilized.

It is a good guideline and I guess now I and the other members have too look twice at what they're posting online and see if their the instigator or not.

Guys...

I am sorry about calling you guys "Tree huggers" but I really was frustrated. This thread is to put out your dreams, and really, there isn't any right or wrong here. It's an open discussion, and let's leave it that way. I really didn't want to do it tho.

Hope you guys accept my apology, I am prepared if you are not anyway.

Guys...

I am sorry about calling you guys "Tree huggers" but I really was frustrated. This thread is to put out your dreams, and really, there isn't any right or wrong here. It's an open discussion, and let's leave it that way. I really didn't want to do it tho.

Hope you guys accept my apology, I am prepared if you are not anyway.

I see your point about this being a thread devoted to the expression of one's ideas and about there not necessarily being a right and a wrong, but I also believe that people have a right to disagree. It was the name-calling that really got people going here. You are free to believe whatever you like, but if you're going to suggest something as radical as removing our entire trolley infrastructure, then at least have a legitimate reason to back it up. In any case, I appreciate and accept your apology; I too apologize for my foolish response.

I wish that the 2001-2002 Mark II will get refurbish with the new interior and the current TransLink livery.

Expensive and wasteful undertaking to reconfigure the 1st generation Mark IIs to resemble the second generation.

It's likely they will receive the new livery when they go in for refurbishment. I think they are due now for a new paint job at the very least or close?

I wish that the 2001-2002 Mark II will get refurbish with the new interior and the current TransLink livery.

Honestly I think they will start on this within the next few years, but it might take up to ten years from now for the whole fleet to be in the current paint scheme.

Adding onto this, I'd like to see the Mk1s and Mk2s all fitted with destination signs on the front and on the sides of the trains - would definitely make things much simpler for people catching a train so they don't have to wait for the announcement or deviate from their route to the train to see the platform display.

Honestly I think they will start on this within the next few years, but it might take up to ten years from now for the whole fleet to be in the current paint scheme.

Adding onto this, I'd like to see the Mk1s and Mk2s all fitted with destination signs on the front and on the sides of the trains - would definitely make things much simpler for people catching a train so they don't have to wait for the announcement or deviate from their route to the train to see the platform display.

I agree with you about the Mk I destination sign on the side of the trains. But for Mk II destination sign in the front because they could match with the new Mk II.