Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

Not sure if this was noted or not but the R5 SFU has a 20-minute gap at Burrard Station between 7 and 7:30pm. There are two eastbound R5 to Kootenay in that timespan instead, and they cut in at Hastings at Granville.

Edited by Express691
clarify time

Gray area as this pertains to the service thread and the SkyTrain expansion thread:

Beginning February 10, alternating EB service to Braid and Production every 12 minutes each.

https://www.translink.ca/skytrainexpansion?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=skytrainexpansion
https://www.translink.ca/alerts

After 9:30pm trains will run every 12 minutes to production way.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Express691 said:

Gray area as this pertains to the service thread and the SkyTrain expansion thread:

Beginning February 10, alternating EB service to Braid and Production every 12 minutes each.

https://www.translink.ca/skytrainexpansion?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=shorturl&utm_campaign=skytrainexpansion
https://www.translink.ca/alerts

After 9:30pm trains will run every 12 minutes to production way.

Hmm, curious as to how 12 minute service will help them do their work - work for 12 minutes, get out to let train through - work for another 12 minutes, get out to let train through.  I was actually expecting a full shut down between Braid and Lougheed for a while.

19 minutes ago, TransitCurling said:

Hmm, curious as to how 12 minute service will help them do their work - work for 12 minutes, get out to let train through - work for another 12 minutes, get out to let train through.  I was actually expecting a full shut down between Braid and Lougheed for a while.

That’s probably not how this is going to work. 12 minutes is enough time for one train to make its way from Braid to Production and back (while single-tracking between Lougheed and Braid).

Just now, Citaro said:

That’s probably not how this is going to work. 12 minutes is enough time for one train to make its way from Braid to Production and back (while single-tracking between Lougheed and Braid).

Oh I know that's not how it's going to work, hehehe.  But does anyone know if they are just closing one full side to do whatever they need to do, then the other side?  I would assume they have to connect it from both sides?

Vince Ready has invited CUPE 4500 & CMBC back to the bargaining table Saturday morning. If talks break down the 48 hour strike will go as planned shutting down the Buses & Seabus at 3am Monday which will last for 48 hours

17 hours ago, dover5949 said:

Vince Ready has invited CUPE 4500 & CMBC back to the bargaining table Saturday morning. If talks break down the 48 hour strike will go as planned shutting down the Buses & Seabus at 3am Monday which will last for 48 hours

Maybe I'm just confused about labour laws that apply to these pseudo "public sector" organizations.  But where I used to work (private sector), we had two different unions for different aspects of the company.  One for the office people (the techie people like me) and one for the factory.  When the factory workers decided to go on strike, we were told that if we honoured the picket lines with a valid collective agreement, we'd be heavily disciplined.  Our union didn't dispute it and said that's the rules since we had a valid collective agreement and we would be in breach of it if we didn't work because of the other union's strike action.  So we crossed, went to work, and had no issues and no hard feelings.

So what's different about this?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TransitCurling said:

Maybe I'm just confused about labour laws that apply to these pseudo "public sector" organizations.  But where I used to work (private sector), we had two different unions for different aspects of the company.  One for the office people (the techie people like me) and one for the factory.  When the factory workers decided to go on strike, we were told that if we honoured the picket lines with a valid collective agreement, we'd be heavily disciplined.  Our union didn't dispute it and said that's the rules since we had a valid collective agreement and we would be in breach of it if we didn't work because of the other union's strike action.  So we crossed, went to work, and had no issues and no hard feelings.

When a picket line is set up other Unions will respect the picket line & not cross & respect the picket line. It's referred to as "Solidarity" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TransitCurling said:

BC law allows for all unions to refuse to cross another (provincially regulated) company's picket lines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, buizelbus said:

BC law allows for all unions to refuse to cross another (provincially regulated) company's picket lines.

Does it?

There's been a couple of strikes over the last couple of years where Provincially regulated companies set up legal picket lines and other Unions refused to cross them and those actions were deemed illegal by both the LB and courts.

There are so many (legal) questions about this and so few (legal) answers.

Fortunately, I'll be on AV so I get to watch from the sidelines how this all unfolds.

6 hours ago, 9924 said:

Does it?

There's been a couple of strikes over the last couple of years where Provincially regulated companies set up legal picket lines and other Unions refused to cross them and those actions were deemed illegal by both the LB and courts.

There are so many (legal) questions about this and so few (legal) answers.

Fortunately, I'll be on AV so I get to watch from the sidelines how this all unfolds.

Yeah, this is what I was on about.

I've just gone through the laws about this (here) and it doesn't seem to say directly.  It seems like it will depend on where the CUPE workers physically perform their regular work.  Now, the media and union have intentionally been mum about this for some reason, leading to CMBC finally releasing the actual impacted workers' titles and wage offerings (both sides), but the drift I got was these supervisors are for transit planning, communications, and some maintenance.  If any of these work at the actual depots, then yes, I believe that the drivers can legally respect the picket lines.  But I recall the drivers strike in 2019 where Unifor 2200 represented "maintenance workers and supervisors".  It's these that I thought worked at the depots, but I'm not sure if the other "supervisors" do.  CMBC made it clear that the field supervisors are not part of this.  I obviously don't know anything about the logistics here and am very likely wrong (so some insight would be nice 😀), but I see that as the only situation where the drivers could respect a picket line legally.  But it still raises the question about why my former job required us to cross anyway (with our union's support), even though they would have met these conditions (factory vs office at same physical location) - I'm not in that job anymore so I can't ask, hehehe.

It was my understanding, through a good friend who works for a third-party contracted by Translink (even outside these operational contracts, CMBC, Transdev, West Van), that the affected workers that are represented by CUPE are in T-Comm (which is based at STC, right?), some in fleet maintenance at BTC, some at Seabus, and the rest at CMBC's head office on 108th Avenue in Surrey.  If these are the actual locations of work, then the only legal locations that drivers can honour the picket line would be BTC and STC.

Anyway, I could be entirely wrong because CMBC does seem to be acknowledging major impacts.  Then again, all of BTC and STC going down I think would classify as "major" anyway.

I remember ages ago (~2005) when the teachers were on strike and decided to wildcat picket in front of BTC.  The drivers honoured it initially and then were told that they had to cross or they'd be fined.  Bus service out of BTC resumed not long after, even though the teachers were still there.

14 minutes ago, FL04DIFN said:

I cannot believe this is normal for Metro Vancouver. Job action every 4-5 years.

There is a possibility of job action every time a collective agreement expires and its time to negotiate a new one which is typically 3 years - thats just how it works.

Having said that, the last actual work stoppage for transit in Metro Van was in 2001, so thats a wee bit longer than every "4 to 5 years".

• Like 2

Uh, I guess breaking news:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10240779/union-warning-metro-vancouver-transit-shut-down-skytrains/

I completely, utterly, disagree with a union trying to impact other services run by a completely different company.  This is honestly childish of CUPE 4500 to even suggest that they are going to setup picket lines at SkyTrain facilities "to get their way".  How about worrying about negotiating?

I have a lot of support for fair wages, but you can't do it this way to get them.

4 hours ago, TransitCurling said:

Uh, I guess breaking news:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10240779/union-warning-metro-vancouver-transit-shut-down-skytrains/

I completely, utterly, disagree with a union trying to impact other services run by a completely different company.  This is honestly childish of CUPE 4500 to even suggest that they are going to setup picket lines at SkyTrain facilities "to get their way".  How about worrying about negotiating?

I have a lot of support for fair wages, but you can't do it this way to get them.

People in Vancouver these days no longer trustworthy