The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

Was just reading how southern Ontario is going to add another area code being 742. Which will add at least another 8 million phone numbers in the pool. 

I am very familiar with 416 and 905. But since they added 289, 647 and 742 effective October 16th, this will be another three digits to remember. Somehow I manage to keep the same phone number for over 10 years even after moving to a different area code. Back then, local calling only meant calling another number with the same area code even though there are a lot more area codes. Though I don't call as much since there are other channels where possible along with free nation wide calling included in a lot of the phone plans too. 

Hope people make sure to check the phone number of the person or business to ensure the area code is accounted for. Especially if the 7 remaining digits are used between two area codes. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7954380/southern-ontario-new-area-code-742/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalToronto&fbclid=IwAR2DkgZjMWKLeGYM0fr1ffcDmCcEtTn6jNZvPo2QNUmkMBxeg965DbagiR0

• Like 2

GPS Video has a chance to get new equipment!

Woohoo!

There's an hour and ten minutes left on the auction and local pickup in Newmarket is possible.  Mike's a good guy.

The machine's nicely tricked out too.  Aftermarket 3M dropout compensator at the bottom of the electronics bay, the servo system's complete, pretty sure that's a later Velcom in the middle, signal system looks complete too, and if you look closely at the bottom right of one of the composite pictures, it's got an expen$$ive Mk. X head drum assembly on it.  This machine does not have editec on it though, the text is a bit misleading, it was optional but isn't present on this one.  The Intersync, that's the servo system, just above the 3M box.  4 seconds to lockup as of September 21, 1984 according to the service sticker which is about what I'd expect.  I remember what I was doing on September 21, 1984 and it sure as hell wasn't the setup on this machine!  Oh man, the rate at which GEEZER territory is approaching is truly frightening.

• Like 1

I know CIBC has had flexible monthly payment plans with terms for 6 months, 12 months and 24 months on their credit cards for major purchases. Paying a specified interest rate for that term. 

Reading today how Scotiabank is planning to introduce Visa Instalments in August for Visa customers. The details still to be confirmed especially since banks are looking to increase revenue (yes, I have heard of the bank fee increases) during a low interest rate environment and not wanting to take on high risk borrowers. If the debt is uncollectible, then it is simply written off as a loss. Having a lot of credit room to leverage for a payment plan. 

Never forgot my high school days regarding credit cards and how they can be bad with the interest rate as high as 29 percent. Plus how people say "credit cards are evil." I simply respond saying "it is the end user who has to learn the responsibility." Noting some places only accept credit cards such as hotels for security deposits in case something is damaged or missing. Some hotels may take a debit card or cash deposit for security, but I simply prefer to be safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been nearly a decade since the province of Ontario - had finally managed to address a problem with regards to people who cannot drive but need to have a form of ID to use (without the need to get a driver's license).

That non drivers ID card is the Ontario Photo Card (it's the purple photo ID card - to distinguish between the green photo health card and the common blue/white driver's license ID that you Ontarians are familiar with).

The cost on getting that purple card: $35CDN. Compared with a driver's license, it's four times that price (what's more you have to write the test every 5 years to get the driver's license - even if you don't like driving)!

I once used to create a video blog about the Ontario Photo Card back in 2011 and since that video blog had been created, other videos suddenly pop up since then describing the same issue.

Since the Ontario Photo Card was introduced a decade ago, many of the designs had changed (with minor differences). Sadly enough (without detection), many black market fake ID places are trying to offer a replica of the Ontario Photo Card (the official one has a cut-off corner at the top right, while the fake one is the same size as a standard Ontario Driver's License) - at half the price of the official Ontario Photo Card.

Another issue (that haunts me to this day) is that not many places don't recognize the Ontario Photo Card (even though it is officially legal ID). Think about this as a "language barrier" (with a twist) I used to write a letter to the editor of my local newspaper about the Ontario Photo Card - but that was back in 2012.

Just received my replacement credit card in the mail since my current one was close to expiring, so the issuer sent me a new card before the month of expiry. 

Difference from the previous time is that I activated it online with the special code attached when I logged onto my online account. This is along with verifying other information and how the process is protected by two-step verification. Something that should be mandatory with online services that handle sensitive info. Some issuers are providing an option to activate online than deal with the automated phone system.

I once had an issue where I couldn't activate a credit card online and ended up going through the automated system. I don't think there are many issuers that still have human representatives activating them manually considering the push to reduce costs for the organization. 

Once the new card is activated, just put the old one through the shredder. 

5 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

It's been nearly a decade since the province of Ontario - had finally managed to address a problem with regards to people who cannot drive but need to have a form of ID to use (without the need to get a driver's license).

That non drivers ID card is the Ontario Photo Card (it's the purple photo ID card - to distinguish between the green photo health card and the common blue/white driver's license ID that you Ontarians are familiar with).

The cost on getting that purple card: $35CDN. Compared with a driver's license, it's four times that price (what's more you have to write the test every 5 years to get the driver's license - even if you don't like driving)!

I once used to create a video blog about the Ontario Photo Card back in 2011 and since that video blog had been created, other videos suddenly pop up since then describing the same issue.

Since the Ontario Photo Card was introduced a decade ago, many of the designs had changed (with minor differences). Sadly enough (without detection), many black market fake ID places are trying to offer a replica of the Ontario Photo Card (the official one has a cut-off corner at the top right, while the fake one is the same size as a standard Ontario Driver's License) - at half the price of the official Ontario Photo Card.

Another issue (that haunts me to this day) is that not many places don't recognize the Ontario Photo Card (even though it is officially legal ID). Think about this as a "language barrier" (with a twist) I used to write a letter to the editor of my local newspaper about the Ontario Photo Card - but that was back in 2012.

I just renewed my photo ID card online since my photo was within the 10 year validity period. Especially since the only other option is to carry a passport, but that is only required if travelling internationally and contains sensitive info. I mean more regions have created a photo ID card option for those that can't drive.

Have to provide proof of address or age and a health card isn't going to suffice. I haven't had an issue provincially showing my photo ID card. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I just renewed my photo ID card online since my photo was within the 10 year validity period. Especially since the only other option is to carry a passport, but that is only required if travelling internationally and contains sensitive info. I mean more regions have created a photo ID card option for those that can't drive.

Have to provide proof of address or age and a health card isn't going to suffice. I haven't had an issue provincially showing my photo ID card. 

Before the Ontario Photo Card was introduced, I have to carry my student transcript (dated June 2008) from my college that has my address along with my passport. 

With the Ontario Photo Card however, that instance was eliminated - to some extent.  While many places now recognize the Ontario Photo Card (the majority of which contributed the revamp of the liquor laws of Ontario back in 2011), many places (to this day) still don't accept the ID (some are living - like the Ontario Photo Card doesn't exist)! 

What's more, you can't hold an Ontario Photo Card and a driver's license at the same time (even if you have a different legal last name)!

I find it so weird... After my drivetest, I've basically ditched the bus. I mean, I don't want to, but OC Transpo in Ottawa is more of a business than a service, according to the heads of city hall, particularly our Mayor Jim Watson... I mean, it's not like I can get to Bayshore to Blair in 15 mins with OC Transpo anyways, but man... What a change. Wish it didn't have to be this way, but I don't expect to return unless they get their crap together and actually make OC a service again...

• Like 1

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the introduction of the Ontario Photo Card - an alternative form of ID for people who can't drive or other things relating to that. 

I was not the only person who had lobbied for this to come true! There's one time I had created a Facebook group dedicating to the discussion about this document (alongside with a petition organized by a former MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament of Ontario) Bob Delaney. While there hadn't been a "connection" between my now-closed Facebook group and that petition, it appeared that the Ontario government finally listened).

As I had stated in my last few posts, getting to know what the Ontario Photo Card is like along with the familiarity of it still continues (even after being introduced). 

Aside from that, I also heard that there's a new statutory holiday in Canada that takes place on September 30th (and will be introduced this year): "Truth and Reconciliation Day".

It would have been nice if that holidays was officially recognized everywhere in Canada regardless of sector. 

Speaking of statutory holidays, Ontario is the only province so far that Remembrance Day isn't recognized as a Statutory Holiday (other than federally or provincially-regulated sectors).

I would really wish that Ontario should remove some provisions that will allow provincially-regulated sectors (i.e. Drivetest, ServiceOntario, etc.) to open on that holiday (for today's society) or even remove provisions that certain holidays won't be observed if a holiday falls on a weekend (but that will upset many people). 

11 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Today marks the 10 year anniversary of the introduction of the Ontario Photo Card - an alternative form of ID for people who can't drive or other things relating to that. 

I was not the only person who had lobbied for this to come true! There's one time I had created a Facebook group dedicating to the discussion about this document (alongside with a petition organized by a former MPP (Member of Provincial Parliament of Ontario) Bob Delaney. While there hadn't been a "connection" between my now-closed Facebook group and that petition, it appeared that the Ontario government finally listened).

As I had stated in my last few posts, getting to know what the Ontario Photo Card is like along with the familiarity of it still continues (even after being introduced). 

Regarding the Ontario Photo ID card, someone asked on Facebook to Service Ontario regarding why a driver's license is required to renew online. It is to authenticate the residency requirement which is 153 days in any 12 month period along with Ontario being the primary residence. I mean an Ontario Photo ID card can also take the place of the driver's license to verify residency requirement for those that cannot drive or make it to an in-person location to renew.

Noting that photo validity is 10 years in-line with passport photos once a passport application is processed successfully. 5 year option still exists for those that travel frequently and fill up the pages quickly.

• Thanks 1

I really wished that CIII-DT (a TV station in Toronto that is part of the Global Television Network) should provide a separate newcast - serving Ottawa. 

For years, many viewers in Ottawa can receive Global Television over the air (aside from being available on cable/satellite/IPTV) - but sadly, they lack a newscast for Ottawa (covering news stories in that city). 

When I was in Ottawa recently, I saw some news topics covering Toronto (as it had during the TV station's existence). 

• 2 weeks later...

Was chatting with a neighbor today and discovered even more lies and accusations that my mom told about me to her friends. From the absurd to the downright hurtful.

I feel saddened that mom was so compelled to paint me as the ungrateful tramp-like daughter, so that she could emerge as the saint-like savior mother.

I don't care what others say about me.  Quite frankly what others think or say about me is none of my business, but coming from ones own mother really hurts.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Was chatting with a neighbor today and discovered even more lies and accusations that my mom told about me to her friends. From the absurd to the downright hurtful.

I feel saddened that mom was so compelled to paint me as the ungrateful tramp-like daughter, so that she could emerge as the saint-like savior mother.

I don't care what others say about me.  Quite frankly what others think or say about me is none of my business, but coming from ones own mother really hurts.

Sorry to hear that happened. Especially I remember when someone did that to me, I literally just refused to talk to anyone online expect for a few real-life friends. Even set my Twitter account to private and just keep a low profile. 

You try not to let it get to you considering that some people are really toxic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Sorry to hear that happened. Especially I remember when someone did that to me, I literally just refused to talk to anyone online expect for a few real-life friends. Even set my Twitter account to private and just keep a low profile. 

This happened to me simiilarly many years ago. There was one teacher that I knew back in my elementary school days and asked if I'm one of her students.

Judging by the way she treated me badly back in the days, I've severed my ties from her and blocked her from my socials.

On 8/8/2021 at 3:54 AM, GTAmissions1 said:

This reminds me about the time I filed a complaint against my social worker many years ago accusing her of verbally abusing me and offering me biased advice. 

It had literally left a mark to this day. The resources that I had in my disposal - were instrumental on filing a complaint against that social worker. 

Changing gears, I wonder if anyone has heard of or even use what's called a "burner number"? 

1 hour ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

This reminds me about the time I filed a complaint against my social worker many years ago accusing her of verbally abusing me and offering me biased advice. 

It had literally left a mark to this day. The resources that I had in my disposal - were instrumental on filing a complaint against that social worker. 

Changing gears, I wonder if anyone has heard of or even use what's called a "burner number"? 

A burner number is basically a temporary phone number which after a certain amount of time, no longer works which is used for certain purposes or those that don't want to give their permanent phone number. Especially if you don't feel comfortable giving your real phone number to a stranger, some people would give a fake one just to satisfy the request. 

• Like 1

Just got an offer from my wireless carrier that I can upgrade early to the new iPhone 12 and rollover my existing tab (one month left) along with the connection fee waived for activating the new plan. Even with the $0 upfront and $25 monthly along with the $50 plan which offers more data. I mean it is pretty much rolling over existing debt onto a new mortgage talking to a friend who is getting a hand-me down iPhone and getting it setup.

Not going to lie, pretty much a lot of companies try to offer financing as a way to attract new business with the low monthly payment. At the same time, they don't factor in the costs such as interest or the financial capacity of carrying that monthly payment for a certain period of time. 

Trying to clear the old stock for the new products coming out in the next few months. 

Cineplex introudces monthly subscription: 

Reading about the Cineclub (Cineplex monthly paid membership) which grants a free movie ticket which is standard along with a lower priced ticket. It can be redeemed for a higher tier and the difference has to be paid between the two amounts which if unused the one month, it gets rolled over into the next month. This is along with 20 percent off the concession stand, VIP section and Rec Room. 10 percent off purchases related to rentals and purchases on the Cineplex store online. 

I know that when CineWorld tried to acquire Cineplex for $2.8 billion dollars before COVID-19 happened and the deal fell apart. A rumour was a monthly subscription that would grant access to movie tickets at a discount. Though, I don't really see movies especially with how the ones I do see are the big budget films like Fast and Furious or James Bond. It is a whole different landscape today when some companies are opting to provide streaming and theatre releases on the same day which cuts into the earnings of the movie stars that get a certain percentage based on revenue generated at the box office. 

Yes, I know about the concession stand and how it is profitable with the high markups that some people are willing to pay. Last time, I bought a bottle of water which came out to $6 versus if I go to Shoppers Drug Mart, it is only 99 cents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Reading about the Cineclub (Cineplex monthly paid membership) which grants a free movie ticket which is standard along with a lower priced ticket. It can be redeemed for a higher tier and the difference has to be paid between the two amounts which if unused the one month, it gets rolled over into the next month. This is along with 20 percent off the concession stand, VIP section and Rec Room. 10 percent off purchases related to rentals and purchases on the Cineplex store online. 

I know that when CineWorld tried to acquire Cineplex for $2.8 billion dollars before COVID-19 happened and the deal fell apart. A rumour was a monthly subscription that would grant access to movie tickets at a discount. Though, I don't really see movies especially with how the ones I do see are the big budget films like Fast and Furious or James Bond. It is a whole different landscape today when some companies are opting to provide streaming and theatre releases on the same day which cuts into the earnings of the movie stars that get a certain percentage based on revenue generated at the box office. 

Yes, I know about the concession stand and how it is profitable with the high markups that some people are willing to pay. Last time, I bought a bottle of water which came out to $6 versus if I go to Shoppers Drug Mart, it is only 99 cents. 

cineplex took a big hit in the pandemic, this doesnt suprise me, they made a premium version of their timeplay  trivia game (alongside a free one) they did online 

In other news, the new permanent Jeopardy host has been announced. Mike Richards will be hosting the regular season syndicated shows and Mayim Bialik will be hosting the primetime and spinoff series. The next spinoff is National College Championships. Mike Richards will still retain being executive producer of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Previously worked on Let's Make A Deal and The Price Is Right and working at Game Show Network. Having the experience and understanding in the field.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-events/jeopardy-welcomes-mayim-bialik-and-mike-richards-new-hosts

Nice to see the hosting duties divided by two people, especially with a female hosting Jeopardy for the first time for the special series. 

Season 38 starts on September 13th. New episodes for the season start in mid-August. Five episodes are taped a day and a total of 46 days to produce an entire season which is around 230 episodes annually. Pretty much a lot of work for one person to host different versions considering Alex Trebek has hosted for 36 years and handling the ever changing format. 

Off-hand, there are around 30 clues in both the first round (regular) and double Jeopardy. Plus the final Jeopardy for a total of 61 clues per episode. 

• Like 1

I really wish that Earls Restaurant should open in Hamilton, ON. I wonder what would it take for a restaurant chain to open a location in Hamilton?... 

Speaking of Hamilton, what would it take - to have Transatlantic flights come back to the YHM airport? I would also believe that some Asian-based routes were to serve that airport. Only problem is - will that market be attractive for offering Transatlantic (or even Transpacific) flights (other than Cargo-based flights)? 

My kitchen has a big window next to the stove and I’m simmering some spaghetti sauce while I enjoy the view of the back yard.  I just watched as the sun just dipped below the house on the next street and twilight begins.

The days are definitely noticeably shorter now as we’re running out the last weeks of summer.  What a shame.  What a waste.

• Like 1

For many years, Costco customers in the USA can use any Visa credit (or Visa Debit) card at Costco stores in that country. The similar case is true for Costco customers in Canada - they can use their MasterCard credit cards at the Costco stores in Canada.

Only concern (that remains unsolved to this day) is this: how will American tourists who use their USA-issued Costco membership card - be able to use them while visiting the Costco outlets in Canada? The same case is true when Canadian tourists who visit the Costco outlets in the states (which at the time of writing, Canadian tourists can't cross south of the border)?

2 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

For many years, Costco customers in the USA can use any Visa credit (or Visa Debit) card at Costco stores in that country. The similar case is true for Costco customers in Canada - they can use their MasterCard credit cards at the Costco stores in Canada.

Only concern (that remains unsolved to this day) is this: how will American tourists who use their USA-issued Costco membership card - be able to use them while visiting the Costco outlets in Canada? The same case is true when Canadian tourists who visit the Costco outlets in the states (which at the time of writing, Canadian tourists can't cross south of the border)?

my dad would perfer costco canada would adopt visa instead of having   a mastercard just for costco (he hated having an amex card just for costco as well )

• Like 1