2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

:P

Well, this will be my last post for a while, as I am heading out to Hawaii tomorrow ;)

I won't be bringing my laptop, but I will try to keep in touch.

And I'll be back on the 12th :lol:

Enjoy Hawaii. Thanks for Coming out yesterday afternoon!

That explains the Brain Damage! Finally an Answer!

Now if only the doctors could get to the bottom of yours...

4460 was being towed back to Ferrier.

GM's out in force.... sort of. Saw a total of 5. Beats the hell out of 0. 3/5 were on trolley routes. yay mass dieselization. It meant Old Dean was able to get a ride on one, and some shots of the others. Strathcona also put on a good show of GM's. More than on Friday.

:lol:

Well, this will be my last post for a while, as I am heading out to Hawaii tomorrow :o

I won't be bringing my laptop, but I will try to keep in touch.

And I'll be back on the 12th :P

Come back when you've warmed up. You'll have to ask Santa for a sweater next year, much cheaper than going to Hawaii ;)

No ETB sightings this afternoon :P .

I did have a nice supper at LAZIA with Martin and Mike.

A guy trying to fight with everyone at Belvedere.

Someone got robbed at WEM.

The usual onslaught of calls from drivers with patron inquiries as to when the last this or that is tonight.

Detours began at 1900 for the Routes, 1, 2, 86 & 401 (SHPK)

I talked to a lady at the pool who is a writer for the Edmonton Journal. The Edmonton Journal is downsizing. All their copy editing will be done in Hamilton. So most if not all the local copy editors have been 'edited'. BTW, the writers are not called writers anymore.....they are.... (ready for this ?) 'Content Providers'. ;) I dropped my soap when I heard that.

Well, in 2004 when New Year's Eve was on a weekday, they started out with trolleys on everything, but started changing the trolleys over to diesels around 1700-1800. I can sort of understand dieselising route 3, but the 5 doesn't get near enough to Churchill Square for there be a reason to turn power off.

And frankly, if they're worried about the danger of the trolley lines, then there is greater danger with the live LRT lines in Churchill Station.

I really wouldn't mind knowing the reason for dieselizing on NYE. The detours do not impact the trolleys, detours on NYE are for the Routes 1, 2, 86. & SHPK.

If *they* are afraid of a wire break, then why not ensure proper OH maintenance/ proper trolley training / and sound equipment ?

If *they* are afraid of fireworks falling on the OH or 20' participants swinging from the OH, then why not diselize the LRT also ?

Methinks it is just a growing trend of laziness. (Or sparing the trolleys from the INC ~ Ineffective Night Crew).

Inconsistency is not the way to operate / manage any system. (Just my opinion).

Like I said, I can understand if they want to dieselise route 3, as crowd control at Churchill Square may require that 102 Ave be closed, and the buses may need to be on detour with little notice.

Route 5 (and 7, for that matter) should be trolleys plain and simple, as they stay a good long block or two away from Churchill Square.

I really wouldn't mind knowing the reason for dieselizing on NYE. The detours do not impact the trolleys, detours on NYE are for the Routes 1, 2, 86. & SHPK.

If *they* are afraid of a wire break, then why not ensure proper OH maintenance/ proper trolley training / and sound equipment ?

If *they* are afraid of fireworks falling on the OH or 20' participants swinging from the OH, then why not diselize the LRT also ?

Methinks it is just a growing trend of laziness. (Or sparing the trolleys from the INC ~ Ineffective Night Crew).

Inconsistency is not the way to operate / manage any system. (Just my opinion).

4903 dead NB 97 St with some sort of fluid everywhere. Probably coolant, maybe oil or fuel. I saw that bus heading northbound I believe around 18:00 on 101 St, so it's been sitting there awhile (I saw it sometime between 22:00 and 23:00).

Saw a ETS Peace Officer heading SB on 75 St sometime between 22:00 and 23:00 south of Argyll Rd. Great place to be. Guess they were maybe heading to Mill Woods, although I would have assumed they would have already had a car floating around on the southside.

Could this be an EPCOR thing? Perhaps they're worried if there's a wire break, it may be an issue to get a crew out? Seeing as it's a holiday and all..

Epcor provides 24/7 emergency service. They're at least able to cut a broken wire down and make the scene safe even if they can't restore service. I think the reason has more to do with ETS not wanting to deal with an incident or interruption (which it could be argued says more about the way incidents are dealt with than anything else, but...).

Uh, that would be the underground LRT, right?

Here's a thought about the trolley coach situation, perhaps they are scared of the partiers getting out of hand and crawling of cars/vans/etc. and getting to the lines, or maybe even pulling down trolley coach poles?

Yeah, playing the devils advocate, but hey, I'll try anything once :P

Hey, there's a good idea for some inexpensive NYE entertainment for 2008-2009 :P

1 Year until SLRT opening...

Then we can hang from a new LRT/ ETB crossing.

OK :P

On at least one occasion several years ago, trolleys were out for the free overnight service on New Year's Eve. There was an article in the Journal, with a picture, about Don driving a trolley on the route 9 overnight service.

You still have that article ? Can you bring it to the next meeting ? I don't recall this (I'm getting a lot of this lately), it could have been before I knew Don. He would have been a 'rookie' by his own standards back then. The whole time I knew Don he was a day run guy. I knew him since 1978-ish.

I do recall trolleys being out ALL the time. Late Nights / Sundays / Holidays / Weekends. You name it. They were out there, just like the streetcars. They were no different than any other bus. They were maintained and provided a much needed service and were out there during all operational hours. Plain and simple. None of this namby pamby wishy washy stuff.

I'm pretty sure that I don't have it. It did mention that Don normally drove days, but that he signed up for this special late night run. It also mentioned that he preferred driving trolleys.

He probably just needed the New Years Eve Pay.

I'll have to mention it next time he phones. IF I REMEMBER. Something else I was going to ask him....Oh yeah, a letter we got from work with our Centennial Calendar mentions a 'Staff Homecoming Event' in the spring. Whatever that entails, I wouldn't mind seeing that. Digging a bunch of old geezers out of retirement. Should be good for a laugh. Hey Denny, ya goin' to that ?

I'll try to remember to bring that letter to the next meeting, if I remember to go to it. :P