2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

Little birdie informed me that Next signup may see some hybrids out on the route 5.

If the Orions can fit in Westwood!

Trolleys on virtually every trolley run today, except the infamous 301. Naturally, today was the day I was hoping a GM would make it out, but no, they actually put trolleys on trolley runs. Imagine that!

A couple of 120 trippers got diesels this afternoon, as did the last 3 out of the garage (was supposed to have unit 193, but apparently the interior lights wouldn't turn on).

I spotted a GM at coliseum at 07:18 this morning but don't know which one lol

I think Laura said she had # 614 on the Route 141/142 today.

Ok, paid a little more attention this morning. I had 181 on my 133. :huh: It was nice to see so many trolleys out!

I had Unit # 161 on the Route 133 back from Kinsmen at 1509.

Just before 9:00 p.m. last night I saw an Epcor truck working on the overhead at one of our new favorite spots - 107 Avenue just west of Groat Road. 198 was sitting there, 2 lanes over from the overhead, with poles down and emergency flashers on. The left pole was bent almost double. I didn't stop to take a close look at what the damage to the overhead consisted of.

Just before 9:00 p.m. last night I saw an Epcor truck working on the overhead at one of our new favorite spots - 107 Avenue just west of Groat Road. 198 was sitting there, 2 lanes over from the overhead, with poles down and emergency flashers on. The left pole was bent almost double. I didn't stop to take a close look at what the damage to the overhead consisted of.

Ken told me he saw this, obviously someone didn't 'move over' when they should have.

REAL trolleys out today :huh: I caught Unit # 145 on Run 302. Run 303 had Unit # 129 (I think). 12-something and it was a refurb anyways. I just saw it pulling away from the library as I emerged from Second Cup.

Wow... now does this really mean Edmonton has frozen over? lol

Maybe ETS should put up a sign at that location saying "All Trolleys move to the right hand lane" or something so that this stops happening. It would be similar to the signs on either side of the LRT crossing.

Maybe ETS should put up a sign at that location saying "All Trolleys move to the right hand lane" or something so that this stops happening. It would be similar to the signs on either side of the LRT crossing.

Or just get the training department to teach drivers to follow the overhead.

Over many, many years of riding the 7 through that section I think I saw one or two buses that forgot to change lanes and lost their poles. It's only in the last few months that this has become a "problem spot". Since the buses and the overhead haven't changed, it's pretty clearly a training issue.

Combined with the fact that now all 3, 120 and 133 runs that end at Jasper Place are heading back to Westwood along that wire. When the 7/133 were pretty much the only trolleys using that wire, they pretty much had to pull over to get to the stop, and see if people were waiting there. Now, all the garage bounds are sometimes just warping past there, and don't pay attention to/don't know the layout of the wire. I believe it's pretty much been all garage bound buses that have had problems there, and rarely an in service 133.

Or just get the training department to teach drivers to follow the overhead.

Over many, many years of riding the 7 through that section I think I saw one or two buses that forgot to change lanes and lost their poles. It's only in the last few months that this has become a "problem spot". Since the buses and the overhead haven't changed, it's pretty clearly a training issue.

Well, in 2004 when New Year's Eve was on a weekday, they started out with trolleys on everything, but started changing the trolleys over to diesels around 1700-1800. I can sort of understand dieselising route 3, but the 5 doesn't get near enough to Churchill Square for there be a reason to turn power off.

And frankly, if they're worried about the danger of the trolley lines, then there is greater danger with the live LRT lines in Churchill Station.

Looks like all D40LF/R's today. From a source of mine regarding NYE, don't expect any trolleys out in the evening. So only the stuff that goes back in by suppertime *should* be trolley. Looks like Vanna won't be out on NYE.

For New Year's Eve, if ETS sends out diesels on the night runs, then all runs of the 5 (except 501) and runs 301,303,308 and 315 should have diesels, with everything else trolleys.

Here's How it should break down for each route, assuming that's what is done.

Route 3: AM Rush 2 diesels, 7 trolleys; Midday (with 120) 3 diesels, 4 trolleys; PM Rush 4 diesels, 5 trolleys; All diesels after 1800

Route 5: 1 trolley, 7 diesels to 1800; all diesels after 1800

Route 120: AM Rush 1 diesel, 5 trolleys; Midday (withe 3) 3 diesels, 4 trolleys; PM Rush 6 trolleys

Routes 133 and 135: All trolleys.

For New Year's Eve, if ETS sends out diesels on the night runs, then all runs of the 5 (except 501) and runs 301,303,308 and 315 should have diesels, with everything else trolleys.

Here's How it should break down for each route, assuming that's what is done.

Route 3: AM Rush 2 diesels, 7 trolleys; Midday (with 120) 3 diesels, 4 trolleys; PM Rush 4 diesels, 5 trolleys; All diesels after 1800

Route 5: 1 trolley, 7 diesels to 1800; all diesels after 1800

Route 120: AM Rush 1 diesel, 5 trolleys; Midday (withe 3) 3 diesels, 4 trolleys; PM Rush 6 trolleys

Routes 133 and 135: All trolleys.

I *slept* in and caught run 304 this morning (I really didn't want to end the year catching Mr. Smug and his diesel) and was rewarded with a nice fella on Unit # 189 :P

I did see lots of trolleys. (It looks like someone ~ other than Mike Marriott ~ took the time to sort out which trolley runs go in and which stay out). I saw Unit # 183 on the Route 133 also :o

Lots of Monday Morning Disease with the Diesel fleet today *snicker*.

Why do they do this? It's an absolute waste of time as far as I'm concerned. Why the 135's? They go back in early anyways. :P

I should send an email and find out.

I only *heard* those three runs getting c/o during my lunch break. I dunno if it was the start of a mass dieselization effort or not. I'm off in 15 minutes, I hope to see some bunny buses....but I will not hold my breath (Laura's grandson holds his breath when he sees a trolleybus).

I only *heard* those three runs getting c/o during my lunch break. I dunno if it was the start of a mass dieselization effort or not. I'm off in 15 minutes, I hope to see some bunny buses....but I will not hold my breath (Laura's grandson holds his breath when he sees a trolleybus).

I used to hold my breath driving one.