General FML moments

vivablue5215

Traipsing around all day with a jacket on because it is supposed to rain.  Then guess what it does after I get home? It rains. A glorious rain at that, and I missed it. I love the rain, but was really hoping to get soaked.

And, to add insult to injury, we were supposed to get a rip roaring thunderstorm tonight. The sky was dark enough, but instead of unleashing fury, the clouds parted and the sun comes blazing out of nowhere. Ugh.

• Sad 2

The other day, I went to the CNE in Toronto - and decide to do a little "experiment".

I've decided to write some "notes" on my phone and this is aimed for people who work at/near the CNE. They include, "what is the nearest subway station near the CNE grounds?' and/or "when is the next train heading east towards Oshawa?".

While I had success from a GO Transit worker (he wrote my response on my phone), I (sadly) didn't get the same treatment from a CNE worker.

While I'm not deaf (though I'm hard of hearing in my left ear and wear a hearing aid), I wanted to see if the "accessibility training" the workers that I interacted with - work. 

This reminds me of a YouTube duo who has a channel (one of them is deaf, the other is his interpreter):

Tried to connect to the local bus from the Go Train over the weekend (both Saturday and Sunday nights).

Saturday, the operator only stopped when 10+ passengers were flagging her down and replatformed. Since it was a short train, there was a lot more walking distance involved. Being a full bus once everyone was accommodated. 

Sunday, I was not as lucky and the operator just departed leaving the passengers stranded. Ended up having to pay $35 for an Uber. To add further insult to injury, it was the final bus which would have ended a few stops later, but it would at least get me closer to home and take a cab versus trying to flag an Uber or asking for a ride home from a family member. The reason why it was $35 is because of surge pricing since public transit finishes early on Sunday. 

6 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

The other day, I went to the CNE in Toronto - and decide to do a little "experiment".

I've decided to write some "notes" on my phone and this is aimed for people who work at/near the CNE. They include, "what is the nearest subway station near the CNE grounds?' and/or "when is the next train heading east towards Oshawa?".

While I had success from a GO Transit worker (he wrote my response on my phone), I (sadly) didn't get the same treatment from a CNE worker.

While I'm not deaf (though I'm hard of hearing in my left ear and wear a hearing aid), I wanted to see if the "accessibility training" the workers that I interacted with - work. 

This reminds me of a YouTube duo who has a channel (one of them is deaf, the other is his interpreter).

I just feel that some people literally lack any kind of accessibility training which you would think is commonplace by now. Especially when some people have communication or language barriers, telling them to look it up online or getting the cold shoulder is pretty much a terrible response. Despite how technological advances such as smartphones, you can communicate via text app or translator if they speak a different language. 

People who are hard of hearing can't always carry pen and paper and the employees can't always understand sign language. I know I had to use pen and paper to communicate with a store employee looking for x item and it was accommodated. At the same time, I think some people just feel it is extra work when it is really an accessibility requirement. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

"when is the next train heading east towards Oshawa?".

I don't know why knowing train departures off by heart would be the responsibility of workers at the CNE. It is the responsibility of the passenger to study up transit timetables themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, T3G said:

I don't know why knowing train departures off by heart would be the responsibility of workers at the CNE. It is the responsibility of the passenger to study up transit timetables themselves.

I appreciate your understanding, but this is not what I meant. I wanted to observe if the "accessibility training" comes into play.

Yes, I know that the CNE workers don't know about the transit schedules per se, but they (the CNE workers) wil be more than pleased to guide people the nearest station to get to where they want to go - regardless of ability.

20 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Tried to connect to the local bus from the Go Train over the weekend (both Saturday and Sunday nights).

Saturday, the operator only stopped when 10+ passengers were flagging her down and replatformed. Since it was a short train, there was a lot more walking distance involved. Being a full bus once everyone was accommodated. 

Sunday, I was not as lucky and the operator just departed leaving the passengers stranded. Ended up having to pay $35 for an Uber. To add further insult to injury, it was the final bus which would have ended a few stops later, but it would at least get me closer to home and take a cab versus trying to flag an Uber or asking for a ride home from a family member. The reason why it was $35 is because of surge pricing since public transit finishes early on Sunday. 

Sorry to drag you in, but - I've been using Uber (along with Lyft) for many years and I had a few instances of surge pricing (Lyft also has a counterpart called "Peak Hour Pricing" - or something like that) in my experience.

Last Friday, I took an Uber from a small concert venue in Oshawa to my house in Ajax. Me and the Uber driver had a good conversation and depending on which "class" you choose (the cheapest is UberX while the top-tier classes are Black Premier and Premier SUV), you can also earn Aeroplan points on certain ride classes on Uber.

9 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Sorry to drag you in, but - I've been using Uber (along with Lyft) for many years and I had a few instances of surge pricing (Lyft also has a counterpart called "Peak Hour Pricing" - or something like that) in my experience.

Last Friday, I took an Uber from a small concert venue in Oshawa to my house in Ajax. Me and the Uber driver had a good conversation and depending on which "class" you choose (the cheapest is UberX while the top-tier classes are Black Premier and Premier SUV), you can also earn Aeroplan points on certain ride classes on Uber.

No worries. Especially since with surge pricing, it is more of supply versus demand with how if there is a lot more demand than supply such as final connections or special events where no public transit exists, then of course people will pull out their phone and request a ride.

For me personally, I always just load my account with value via Uber gift cards when there is a promotion at Loblaws. Only using Uber as a last resort if no other options exist.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We do not have real transit here and I am not sure if any of those on-demand services even operate here. I do not even know if there is a taxi operation here and I have lived her eight years now. I have never had a use for them so have never bothered to find out.

EDIT: I just looked in the local phone book and there is no taxi service listed. See, it took me eight years to find out! If I had not logged onto CPTDB this morning, I would, probably, never had a reason to check!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Toronto Public Library's website has been down for the last few days because of a cyber attack.

I have a bunch of books on loan from there at the moment and had hoped to maximize efficiency and save on fuel by taking out new ones when I go return them, but this is already a shockingly long time for the site to be down, so I'm beginning to worry I'll have to return empty handed. 

• Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...

Who here shops at (and/or cares about) a furniture store in Canada called (Lastman's) Bad Boy? Noooooobody - except that the (once popular) furniture chain had filed for bankruptcy.

Sadly, a friend of mine once bought furniture and appliances from that store a while back and planned to purchase more from that chain - but sadly, he's turning red that his favourite furniture chain is simply ran into (a la Athena from Overwatch): Defeat.

Aside from that, I'm not sure if the passing of former Toronto, Canada mayor Mel Lastman - likely attributed to the (eventual) demise of the chain? Excuses for being curious...

Lately, my inbox has been spammed (and riddled) with random junk e-mail telling me that there was a complaint that "there were complaints about my e-mail account.". To make matters worse, the e-mail headers claimed to be sent - from a legitimate e-mail domain (in this case, info@peelregion.ca). A quick whois search of the IP address of the e-mail being sent from - led to me that the e-mail was sent to an unknown party based in the Czech Republic!

It's not just one of the domains I had mentioned. I even received one claiming to be from the CBC (Canadian Broadcast Corporation) with the domain suffix of cbc.ca! 

30 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Damn. I was just recommended for one. 

Good luck with that. They give you a prescription sleeping pill (usually Zopiclone) which is fairly powerful. I've been given Zopiclone before and had no issues falling asleep and actually attaining deep sleep (before some nurse woke me to take blood at some ungodly hour - ruined my sleep)

However, during the sleep study, I was just so uncomfortable with the whole set up that I couldn't sleep properly (worse than usual). Basically you are ensconced in a Medusa head of wires, in ill fitting pajamas and a tangle of sheets and blankets.

27 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

So basically your a genie pig in this "study".

I'm wondering how they "record" some ones 'Dreams" and how they analyze some ones dream? s

Not a guinea pig. A sleep study is not dream analysis. Pretty much everything but that.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-to-expect-in-a-sleep-study-3015121

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I read Beyond Sing The Woods by Trygve Gulbranssen, an extremely rare Norwegian novel. There is a follow up that is even rarer that I tried to buy. 

The first order I placed got cancelled on me as apparently the book had been sold earlier that day. I placed an order from a different seller and that has also been cancelled because the book has already been sold!!! I'm furious. How the hell do I miss out on TWO copies of an extremely old, extremely rare book?!

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 10:49 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

...snip... I remembered when cheques (checks - if you're American) were still a thing...

I have not written a check (cheque - if you are Canadian🙃) in about ten years; my bank has a service that does it now for me.

• Like 1