Kingston Transit

D40LF

When did route 4 run to CFB Kingston? On the KT sidesign, one of the 4 exposures is "C.F.B." and it was printed in 2005. Was this a short existing route?

Never has. Years ago route 4 used to run from downtown to the VIA station, then it was changed to the Cataraqui Centre. Never did it go to the base.

Route 12 and 12A are the only ones that run to the base, route 12 was the only one for years.

Never has. Years ago route 4 used to run from downtown to the VIA station, then it was changed to the Cataraqui Centre. Never did it go to the base.

Route 12 and 12A are the only ones that run to the base, route 12 was the only one for years.

Would C.F.B. mean something else then?

Would C.F.B. mean something else then?

No, means Canadian Forces Base.

Kingston Transit has had anomilies come up on the roll signs before, so I am not surprised.

I should mention that route 5 runs past the base, but this is a dial-a-bus operated by Kingston Access Bus.

EDIT:

I just dug through the city records on line and looked for the 5 year master plan

http://www.cityofkingston.ca/pdf/transit/T...usinessPlan.pdf

This was from 2005. At the time they proposed a seperate route to the base, but it shows on the map as route 13, not 4, this is shown on page 31.

I guess it was a anomaly,

The sign tag shows Sept 2005, the sign came from 8691.

Interesting photo, I know in 2005 they had ambitious plans to expand the service, obviously this was one that never came to fruition.

Would have been interesting but considering how the Lasalle Causeway can be, especially when the bridge is raised for a boat, it screws up the whole schedule.

Before they changed the rollsigns I got a photo of the guide inside an Orion VI, it had a number of routes that never ran, or were used for a short time.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning, when I was on the 71, as the bus went past the Collins Bay Penetentiary, I saw a weird looking Orion VI sitting in the parking lot of the penetentiary. Upon closer inspection, it was not a KT bus but in fact had a single orange stripe on the side, possibly London Transit?

It was still there when I was on my way home, so I got a picture of it (a very bad one though, it's probably not even identifiable at this range):

ub.jpg

This morning, when I was on the 71, as the bus went past the Collins Bay Penetentiary, I saw a weird looking Orion VI sitting in the parking lot of the penetentiary. Upon closer inspection, it was not a KT bus but in fact had a single orange stripe on the side, possibly London Transit?

It was still there when I was on my way home, so I got a picture of it (a very bad one though, it's probably not even identifiable at this range):

ub.jpg

Most likely an ex Missisauga VI. To my knowledge all the LTC VI's were in the current blue-green stripe livery.

ub.jpg

Looks like ex Mississauga Transit. Only orion vi's I know of that had the orange stripe and they were retired from service not too long ago.

Jesus, 3 posts about it at once lol.

Looks like ex Mississauga Transit. Only orion vi's I know of that had the orange stripe and they were retired from service not too long ago.

Jesus, 3 posts about it at once lol.

Damn it, why do these things happen after I leave Kingston!!!

It does look like a Mississauga bus, the only other system that had orange stripes was Belleville, but they are now red.

The 36 Orion VIs that were retired last year were driven east to new owners. One indication was that they were going to Cuba via Eastway in Pembroke however this is not the first I've heard of them in Kingston. I'll have to check with my local friends and see if they've seen any of them running around.

funny guess Kingston transit has not been getting many people or many qualified people applying for the bus operator jobs over the last year and a half ... i say that cause how often they have post the job in the last year or so...

Did you ever think that the reason they could be looking for new drivers is some senior drivers retired or they have expansion plans? It doesn't necessarily mean people are unqualified to do the job.

Did you ever think that the reason they could be looking for new drivers is some senior drivers retired or they have expansion plans? It doesn't necessarily mean people are unqualified to do the job.

oh thank you mister and I'm sorry i apologize for my over site in not realizing what you have now brought to my attention..

A little cocky today are we?

I would not be spreading that around here as there could be people from the City Of Kingston on here and comments like this on a public forum could come back to haunt you.

little tiny case of cockiness .. come on it's not like i think i rule the city or anything or said anything bad demeaning so i'm not too worried .. but thanks for your concern

little tiny case of cockiness .. come on it's not like i think i rule the city or anything or said anything bad demeaning so i'm not too worried .. but thanks for your concern

So did you have an interview with Kingston then?

They get lots of people applying but the problem with them is they are very very picky so not many people get in.

I've put my name in a few times and never got a call (I have all the qualifications listed on their site)

if you live in oakville that would not help your chances on getting a call would it?

• 3 weeks later...

I had a chance to stop by the Kingston Transit Garage on Friday on my way to Ottawa. Classic 8790 was retired last week (as confirmed via e-mail by the Director of Transit), and is parked quite visibly, with 8791 and 8689, from the Coach Canada Terminal. The other two Classics, 8870 and 8893, were both on Route 7.

I had a chance to stop by the Kingston Transit Garage on Friday on my way to Ottawa. Classic 8790 was retired last week (as confirmed via e-mail by the Director of Transit), and is parked quite visibly, with 8791 and 8689, from the Coach Canada Terminal. The other two Classics, 8870 and 8893, were both on Route 7.

Shame to hear. Rode 8790 and 8893 last August when I was there. Got a recording of 8790 on route 3-which is posted on youtube.