Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

On 10/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, MMP15 said:

So why doesn’t WT ever actually use their winter snow plan? Instead we get a massive list of unorganized reroutes? 

58C8EB35-5F4F-42D0-9539-E5254864D834.png

Was wondering the same thing. I don't think parts of the plan have been updated in a while as it still shows the Chief Peguis Loop, which hasn't existed for about eight years now. However the plan shows the southwest transitway.

15 hours ago, Nick B said:

It sounds like a few Winnipeg Transit buses were brought out to the airport last night to bring stranded passengers to the terminal from a WestJet aircraft stuck in the snow on a taxiway.

I'm amazed... did you get photos? ? would've never seen this day

11 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Was wondering the same thing. I don't think parts of the plan have been updated in a while as it still shows the Chief Peguis Loop, which hasn't existed for about eight years now. However the plan shows the southwest transitway.

I was wondering about that, too... because theres the red and blue service levels too. Were any of them remotely implemented? Because it doesnt seem like they were. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, trebor204 said:

The First Part of the Winnipeg Transit Master Report is out:

I don't know if I should vomit, or if I should get my eyes checked...

That entire plan was the WORST thing that I have EVER seen. And I know that Winnipeg Transit would NEVER approve of that, because that entire plan reeked of Calgary Transit "engagement" and unilateral decision-making...

Long story short: it was bullshit. And in my survey responses, I made it abundantly clear. Especially gutting the routes, feeders, entire sections of Winnipeg out of transit service... I might have had my ideas over the years, plus David giving us all fair advice WT is not interested in our "advice", but I could never see Winnipeg Transit planners ever wanting to wholly and systematically destroy their own creations, decades of work and planning, for that "master plan" that I just saw. So if any of them do see this, I'm blaming the City of Winnipeg for this master plan, because I could never see ATU, Winnipeg Transit or 750,000+ Winnipeggers ever agreeing to this plan. If anything, I see riots on the streets, and people losing jobs and going homeless, because their routes get cut, and they end up losing out big. No feeders, no industrial service, no nothing. That's NOT the Winnipeg I grew up in. My Winnipeg growing up, hey it wasn't the best as anyone on here could see, but even when Winnipeg Transit suggested service cuts, they weren't going to cut every single route there is... this is insane. The City of Winnipeg needs to get their heads out of their asses, especially for them to think that Transit will ever consider this "master plan".

I'm pissed. And everyone else should be, too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, armorand said:

I don't know if I should vomit, or if I should get my eyes checked...

That entire plan was the WORST thing that I have EVER seen. And I know that Winnipeg Transit would NEVER approve of that, because that entire plan reeked of Calgary Transit "engagement" and unilateral decision-making...

Long story short: it was bullshit. And in my survey responses, I made it abundantly clear. Especially gutting the routes, feeders, entire sections of Winnipeg out of transit service... I might have had my ideas over the years, plus David giving us all fair advice WT is not interested in our "advice", but I could never see Winnipeg Transit planners ever wanting to wholly and systematically destroy their own creations, decades of work and planning, for that "master plan" that I just saw. So if any of them do see this, I'm blaming the City of Winnipeg for this master plan, because I could never see ATU, Winnipeg Transit or 750,000+ Winnipeggers ever agreeing to this plan. If anything, I see riots on the streets, and people losing jobs and going homeless, because their routes get cut, and they end up losing out big. No feeders, no industrial service, no nothing. That's NOT the Winnipeg I grew up in. My Winnipeg growing up, hey it wasn't the best as anyone on here could see, but even when Winnipeg Transit suggested service cuts, they weren't going to cut every single route there is... this is insane. The City of Winnipeg needs to get their heads out of their asses, especially for them to think that Transit will ever consider this "master plan".

I'm pissed. And everyone else should be, too.

It’s really their only option if they’re going to improve service without adding to the budget (which they won’t - stop dreaming). Low service areas are sacrificed in order to properly service major corridors. In the end, if you rely on transit, then you can’t buy a house on the edge of the city and expect to get stellar service. Also its nice to see SWRT1 starting to create infill housing.

On the other hand the new downtown service is subpar, and will need tweaking - which is exactly what this engagement process is about. They already know what they’re going to do and aren’t going to revamp it due to public engagement, however the engagement process can influence them to make minor tweaks. The only other way to change the plan is to watch them put it into service, and for people to get annoyed to the point where they have to make substantial changes

1 hour ago, MMP15 said:

It’s really their only option if they’re going to improve service without adding to the budget (which they won’t - stop dreaming). Low service areas are sacrificed in order to properly service major corridors. In the end, if you rely on transit, then you can’t buy a house on the edge of the city and expect to get stellar service. Also its nice to see SWRT1 starting to create infill housing.

On the other hand the new downtown service is subpar, and will need tweaking - which is exactly what this engagement process is about. They already know what they’re going to do and aren’t going to revamp it due to public engagement, however the engagement process can influence them to make minor tweaks. The only other way to change the plan is to watch them put it into service, and for people to get annoyed to the point where they have to make substantial changes

My computer keeps randomly exiting me out of CPTDB... so lets go with some basic fixes, that don't require a multi-million "master plan"

- extend Route 14 to Polo Park, branch off Ferry, run Ferry 14 every 2nd bus.

- give the 21 artics, artic run in between Grace and Downtown

- CentrePort service? West: run 82 and/or 98 to West part of CentrePort. East? Extend 28 or 31 into CentrePort.

- Downtown? Seeing WT actually put artics on the 18 lately among others, solves most of the problems to be honest. It's one of capacity, not of service. 

- Cut the 87, replace with DART. Waverley West? DART. "new" Charleswood? DART.

- Get the 74 and 84 out of that mess with IKEA and the Mall. Boom, instant service upgrade to Kenaston, 10-20 minutes of wasted time redirected to actual travel. Implement new route, IKEA/Seasons to Harkness, via Grant. Slash the 86, extend the 95 to Polo Park on a permanent basis.

- If Main capacity issues persist (which it shouldn't with artics...), extend 99 up Main, to Jefferson.

Replacing the worst "offenders" of suburban feeders and cutting off extensions free's up the buses needed, to pull this off, yes. But cutting every single one? That's like shooting every bus rider in the foot... there is some obvious candidates for cuts, but most of these problems would just be solved by upgrading capacity, some increased service and some route extensions, NOT an entirely whole new network. Once rt actually gets built, yeah we will need a whole new network, but it should be based off the organically developed Winnipeg Transit system that we already have. And at best, full rt across the city is still at least a few decades away, at the rate things are going.

Also, this isn't Calgary or Edmonton, with route numbers all over the place... they have a reason though, 2xx is LRT, 3xx is BRT, 4xx is shuttle ops, 5xx paid services and 8xx school runs. Winnipeg Transit should try to use ALL of the numbers before 200, before they start going off the roads with "921 Portage" or "888 Regent" or some other crazy ideas... there's at least 15-20 numbers before 100 they haven't even used yet. And thats not including the recent freed up 60s.

4 hours ago, armorand said:

My computer keeps randomly exiting me out of CPTDB... so lets go with some basic fixes, that don't require a multi-million "master plan"

- extend Route 14 to Polo Park, branch off Ferry, run Ferry 14 every 2nd bus.

- give the 21 artics, artic run in between Grace and Downtown

- CentrePort service? West: run 82 and/or 98 to West part of CentrePort. East? Extend 28 or 31 into CentrePort.

- Downtown? Seeing WT actually put artics on the 18 lately among others, solves most of the problems to be honest. It's one of capacity, not of service. 

- Cut the 87, replace with DART. Waverley West? DART. "new" Charleswood? DART.

- Get the 74 and 84 out of that mess with IKEA and the Mall. Boom, instant service upgrade to Kenaston, 10-20 minutes of wasted time redirected to actual travel. Implement new route, IKEA/Seasons to Harkness, via Grant. Slash the 86, extend the 95 to Polo Park on a permanent basis.

- If Main capacity issues persist (which it shouldn't with artics...), extend 99 up Main, to Jefferson.

Replacing the worst "offenders" of suburban feeders and cutting off extensions free's up the buses needed, to pull this off, yes. But cutting every single one? That's like shooting every bus rider in the foot... there is some obvious candidates for cuts, but most of these problems would just be solved by upgrading capacity, some increased service and some route extensions, NOT an entirely whole new network. Once rt actually gets built, yeah we will need a whole new network, but it should be based off the organically developed Winnipeg Transit system that we already have. And at best, full rt across the city is still at least a few decades away, at the rate things are going.

Also, this isn't Calgary or Edmonton, with route numbers all over the place... they have a reason though, 2xx is LRT, 3xx is BRT, 4xx is shuttle ops, 5xx paid services and 8xx school runs. Winnipeg Transit should try to use ALL of the numbers before 200, before they start going off the roads with "921 Portage" or "888 Regent" or some other crazy ideas... there's at least 15-20 numbers before 100 they haven't even used yet. And thats not including the recent freed up 60s.

I agree, you make a lot of good points here. But the zig-zag feeder network definitely needs to be refined. DART is a great way to replace a lot feeder routes city wide - Kildonan Place, South St Vital, Waverley West, Sage Creek, Royalwood - these all could use DART routes.

What's really interesting to me is that potential route 131 that goes between Roblin and Portage at the zoo is Autonomous (see West side survey).

Royalwood is criminally underserviced despite being well over a decade old now. One of my aunts and uncles has a nice house out that way, and it's honestly a dream place (especially with the view out the back it had until Island Lakes started creeping up closer and closer), aside from that fact. It's a little crazy how the 93 runs every day yet the 96 can only be bothered to show up on weekday rush hour periods when there's already 57 service for the west part of Southdale that the 75 skips during then, 16 service in most of the southeast part with DART filling in that one small gap around Shamrock, and 50 in East Mint. Aside from letting it run even just weekdays and Saturdays, I'd cut it totally and just have 58s go up Shorehill and start/end at Bishop Grandin, or send some 59s down that way to at least maintain the weekday rush status quo it has in a bit of a more optimized fashion. Ideally a third 55 "via Shorehill" split would be perfect for Saturdays/Sundays.

8 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Royalwood is criminally underserviced despite being well over a decade old now. One of my aunts and uncles has a nice house out that way, and it's honestly a dream place (especially with the view out the back it had until Island Lakes started creeping up closer and closer), aside from that fact. It's a little crazy how the 93 runs every day yet the 96 can only be bothered to show up on weekday rush hour periods when there's already 57 service for the west part of Southdale that the 75 skips during then, 16 service in most of the southeast part with DART filling in that one small gap around Shamrock, and 50 in East Mint. Aside from letting it run even just weekdays and Saturdays, I'd cut it totally and just have 58s go up Shorehill and start/end at Bishop Grandin, or send some 59s down that way to at least maintain the weekday rush status quo it has in a bit of a more optimized fashion. Ideally a third 55 "via Shorehill" split would be perfect for Saturdays/Sundays.

First off, welcome to CPTDB.

Secondly, Route 52 is supposed to solve that, but it hasn't been implemented at all yet. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

That wouldn't work. The idea is to straight-line routes, not make them more complex so that the routes can stay on schedule. The point of the TMP is not a whole bunch of curvy/zig-zag/scenic route type of stuff.

I see they have something pencilled in for service along Jubilee, but no route. Something between Stafford Stn. and Riverview Health Centre is all it needs. No zig zag through Ft. Rouge like the 95 does now.

2 hours ago, trebor204 said:

Would like to see service to the Airport via Portage instead of Sargent and Ellice. 

Visitors to the city might have a bad impression of the city when they travel down Sargent.

I recently went to the FedEx building at the Airport to pick up an item ordered online. Rode the 15 Sargent Airport from Sargent @ Sherbrook (sketchy area) during the afternoon, to the Airport. It was nicer than I expected. Closer to the Airport were office workers on the return trip. Sargent probably has a different vibe in the evening.

Better lighting at night would probably do wonders to give the area a more safe aesthetic. Maybe some LED signage, a la Tokyo's Shinjuku could be a model. At the same time, too much lighting can make an area appear "seedy". Don't want that. For example, before Portage Pl. was the Colony movie theatre. It was well lit. But it played XXX movies that kind of gave that corner where Staples or IG is now a seedy vibe.

Someone commented to the TMP task force that he/she estimated at least 5 possible routes that could serve the Airport. I didn't comment on it, but I guess imagine a route coming from St. Vital, along Bishop, over the Moray Bridge and towards the Airport.

Currently W (77 Crosstown North) and M (75 Crosstown East) operate. We still need a Crosstown South route! https://winnipegtransit.com/assets/2449/WTMP_Proposed_Primary_Network_Oct22-19.pdf

21 hours ago, armorand said:

I believe the reasoning behind the route numbers as preposed by the Transit Master Plan (TMP) is signify the area of the city that the feeder routes run. You can already see this in the April 2020 service plan for the second stage of the Southwest Transitway as all the feader routes are in the 600-series with the last two digits signifying which service they are replacing. The 664 replacing the current 64 for example. The busstop numbers also start with a 6 in that area. The area that will be part of the Eastern Corridor service area has feeder routes in the 400-series and the busstop numbers start with a 4. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:38 AM, armorand said:

First off, welcome to CPTDB.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

On 10/27/2019 at 9:38 AM, armorand said:

Secondly, Route 52 is supposed to solve that, but it hasn't been implemented at all yet. 

On 10/27/2019 at 11:46 AM, LilZebra said:

That wouldn't work. The idea is to straight-line routes, not make them more complex so that the routes can stay on schedule. The point of the TMP is not a whole bunch of curvy/zig-zag/scenic route type of stuff.

I see they have something pencilled in for service along Jubilee, but no route. Something between Stafford Stn. and Riverview Health Centre is all it needs. No zig zag through Ft. Rouge like the 95 does now.

Yeah, in the context of the master plan it obviously wouldn't work at all, plus there's already that one Warde feeder shown. That would be entirely contingent on getting Warde connected over, or right across CPR. I was more so referring to a short-term band-aid that could work in the near-term or if the master plan got sent all the way back to the drawing board.

On 10/26/2019 at 5:28 PM, armorand said:

Replacing the worst "offenders" of suburban feeders and cutting off extensions free's up the buses needed, to pull this off, yes. But cutting every single one? That's like shooting every bus rider in the foot...

Cutting every single one?? There are tons of suburban feeders in the master plan. Are you sure you're looking at the right map?  There's one that only shows the primary network and another that includes the feeders.

The proposed primary network looks excellent to me, and the feeder network looks pretty good too (except the northeast quadrant seems a bit more loopy than necessary). The success will, of course, depend on the "rapid" routes actually being rapid, frequent, and reliable.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Winnipeg Transit is saying that their number crunching says limiting their budget over the next 4 years to a 2% increase will mean cuts to routes, including the "free bus", weekend service, letting 20 year old buses still running on the streets, buying fewer replacements, etc...

Coun. Allard (St. Boniface) asked how much of a fare increase would be necessary to save the $6 M budget difference.  WT said another 25 cents would do it.

So, with the Low Income pass, the widening of Youth fares, the 1/2 billion on "rt", this was coming. The working class transit rider is gonna have to cough up the extra quarter to pay to keep service at current levels, let along these improvements of the Transit Master Plan. These cutbacks, if implemented, are going to drive (pardon the pun) to buy a car and to say "to heck with our lousy transit service, I'm getting my freedom back and am buying a car". This will lead to just more on the road congestion.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/city-winnipeg-transit-public-works-budget-1.5358366

I agree though that the individual printed schedules should end. Most people nowadays either use Telebus, BusText, or look up at the electronic schedules at their stop (if they're working).

2 hours ago, LilZebra said:

Winnipeg Transit is saying that their number crunching says limiting their budget over the next 4 years to a 2% increase will mean cuts to routes, including the "free bus", weekend service, letting 20 year old buses still running on the streets, buying fewer replacements, etc...

Coun. Allard (St. Boniface) asked how much of a fare increase would be necessary to save the $6 M budget difference.  WT said another 25 cents would do it.

Actually they said a 25 cent fare increase would only stave off one year's worth of cuts. So it wouldn't be a real solution.

The cuts that would be required are pretty horrific and I'm sure a way will be found to avoid them (at least I hope so).

The budgets of many departments are being frozen for at least four years, but the police service and transit are getting increases.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mayor-brian-bowman-police-budget-winnipeg-1.5357560

Must be those increases the ATU fought for in the recent contract negotiations. That's why I hate unions, because they drive up the cost of living.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

Recently noticed that the front sign of route 68 is off center and misspelled cresent instead of crescent, I’ve only seen that on the outbound 68s while the signs on the inbound 68s are perfectly fine, does anyone know why that is 

04921360-36D3-46D9-A59A-C4EFD70806D7.jpeg

Data entry error. Report it to 311.

• Like 1