TTC Steeles Bus Question

raidercom

I've been taking YRT and Viva for years now, but a new job has me going into Toronto. I know that the 60 and the 53 go to Yonge & Steeles. I tried looking on information, but I couldn't find any on whether the express buses stop at Steeles going northbound from Finch, the one time that I took TTC I seem to remember it not stopping there. Is it just the express buses that do not stop at Yonge & Steeles?

Thanks for any clarification you guys can give me.

Jeff

I've been taking YRT and Viva for years now, but a new job has me going into Toronto. I know that the 60 and the 53 go to Yonge & Steeles. I tried looking on information, but I couldn't find any on whether the express buses stop at Steeles going northbound from Finch, the one time that I took TTC I seem to remember it not stopping there. Is it just the express buses that do not stop at Yonge & Steeles?

Thanks for any clarification you guys can give me.

Jeff

The 60 Steeles West express buses do stop at Steeles/Yonge. The 53 Steeles East Express buses don't - their first stop is at Bayview.

The 53E does not stop there.

Westbound 53E/F buses are express from Don Mills, circle through the Bayview loop (stopping there) and head down expresss via Bayview and Finch, so they skip the intersection entirerly.

The map on the TTC's website does not show an express stop at Yonge/Steeles, so it is assumed buses do not stop there.

As for 60E/F, the TTC's map shows local service starts just west of Yonge St. By this, it should be assumed no stop at Yonge.

Don't worry about it too much; 53 is only every 2nd bus express, and with such high frequencies it's not a very long wait for the next local. Plus, 97 also enters Finch northbound, so if it's there you can run for it.

Westbound 53E/F buses are express from Don Mills, circle through the Bayview loop (stopping there) and head down expresss via Bayview and Finch, so they skip the intersection entirerly.

The map on the TTC's website does not show an express stop at Yonge/Steeles, so it is assumed buses do not stop there.

As for 60E/F, the TTC's map shows local service starts just west of Yonge St. By this, it should be assumed no stop at Yonge.

Don't worry about it too much; 53 is only every 2nd bus express, and with such high frequencies it's not a very long wait for the next local. Plus, 97 also enters Finch northbound, so if it's there you can run for it.

Why don't you read posts that come above yours instead of posting information that is not completely accurate (and entirely unnecessary since the question has already been answered). As I said 60E/F stop at Yonge/Steeles in both directions. The westbound routing of route 53 depends on the driver, I've seen buses go down Yonge.

Why don't you read posts that come above yours instead of posting information that is not completely accurate (and entirely unnecessary since the question has already been answered). As I said 60E/F stop at Yonge/Steeles in both directions. The westbound routing of route 53 depends on the driver, I've seen buses go down Yonge.

I do, and not only did I clarify the above posts for everybody's information I researched using TTC literature from their website. I also gave him an alternate suggestion of routes that will take him to Steeles/Yonge, something nobody else here has done.

I've observed 53 for an entire afternoon rush at Bayview loop, not a single 53E bus went past Bayview Loop. It's usually standard to use Bayview, but I'm guessing that if traffic is heavy along Finch and/or Bayview, dispatch may inform drivers to use Yonge instead.

I've observed 53 for an entire afternoon rush at Bayview loop, not a single 53E bus went past Bayview Loop. It's usually standard to use Bayview, but I'm guessing that if traffic is heavy along Finch and/or Bayview, dispatch may inform drivers to use Yonge instead.

One afternoon rush does not denote all afternoon rushes. I've rode 53E's that go to Finch Subway via Yonge/Steeles. As Mike said, it probably depends on the driver.

Alright, time for some internal clarification on this matter (as much as I know anyway) ...

- The Express 60's (60A to Martin Grove, 60E to Highway 27, 60F to York U) ALL stop at Yonge/Steeles. This is the first Express stop from Finch Subway Station.

- The Express 53's can go either via Steeles/Yonge or Bayview/Finch. Traffic is usually the determining factor, and at times, CIS will notify drivers to take the alternate route (Yonge is the default, Bayview is the back-up).

- Likewise, the Express 60's can go either via Yonge/Steeles or Willowdale/Steeles. Again, traffic is the factor and CIS will usually notify drivers when Willowdale is to be taken.

Alright, time for some internal clarification on this matter (as much as I know anyway) ...

- The Express 60's (60A to Martin Grove, 60E to Highway 27, 60F to York U) ALL stop at Yonge/Steeles. This is the first Express stop from Finch Subway Station.

- The Express 53's can go either via Steeles/Yonge or Bayview/Finch. Traffic is usually the determining factor, and at times, CIS will notify drivers to take the alternate route (Yonge is the default, Bayview is the back-up).

- Likewise, the Express 60's can go either via Yonge/Steeles or Willowdale/Steeles. Again, traffic is the factor and CIS will usually notify drivers when Willowdale is to be taken.

Thank you for the clarification. It was most helpful.

I had no idea that Willowdale route existed. I take 60E every day, and never got a chance to take it through Willowdale. How often does that happen?

I had no idea that Willowdale route existed. I take 60E every day, and never got a chance to take it through Willowdale. How often does that happen?
Not too often from my experience. In 5 years, I've only once was on a bus that went southbound via Willowdale and once on a northbound bus via Willowdale.

Why isn't 60A listed on the schedules?

In fact, how come I don't even see a single express branch listed at Finch Station on the TTC site?

There are only a few westbound trips on the 60A at the very end of rush hours. I think the buses go out of service once they reach Martin Grove.

Or if Yonge was blocked or shut down for some reason eg. accidents or police activity.