Boston, Massachusetts

For my school's annual music department trip, we are going to Boston this year. It was paid for in the fall, the itinerary will be released next week, and I am getting excited about what I will be doing that's not on it. I'm expecting they'll be giving us something like 4-5 hours at a mall, tourist area, etc. I say screw that.

When I get the detailed itinerary next week, I'll let you guys know where I'll be, but I'm looking for anything I should try to see, transit-wise. All I know now is that we are staying at the Fairfield Inn in Woburn, MA, and that we leave school at 1300, Friday, April 18, and return in the evening of Wednesday the 23rd.

Boston certainly is amazing. It's one of my favorite cities, both transit-wise and non-transit-wise.

One warning, though: bus and train operators can be rather surly, especially when one takes photos of their vehicles. However, they don't have a leg to stand on if they confront you about it.

If you want more detailed Boston information, send me a private message!

Boston certainly is amazing. It's one of my favorite cities, both transit-wise and non-transit-wise.

One warning, though: bus and train operators can be rather surly, especially when one takes photos of their vehicles. However, they don't have a leg to stand on if they confront you about it.

If you want more detailed Boston information, send me a private message!

I will be the only one with a leg to stand on: No permit is required for non-commercial/personal use pictures taken in public areas.

I think I would qualify as "railroad buff," "student," AND "tourist!" :(

It also says photography is allowed on their property as long as proper identification is given when requested by the transit police. So, you really shouldn't have any problems while your there. As soon as they see your from Canada they'll probably assume your a tourist anyways ... either that or some sneaky Canadian spy sent to see what a transit system that actually has funding operates like. :(

What instrument do you play? I used to play the piano.

How are you getting to Boston? I imagine either bus or plane.

Do you know a MBTA driver by the name of Bob Hussey? He's a cool guy, very pro-busfan. Perhaps you've seen his pics online.

What instrument do you play? I used to play the piano.

How are you getting to Boston? I imagine either bus or plane.

Do you know a MBTA driver by the name of Bob Hussey? He's a cool guy, very pro-busfan. Perhaps you've seen his pics online.

Euphonium.

Bus.

Yes and yes.

That was easy! :P

I-90 is the best way there I am guessing? I hope your coach bus has EZPass!

I'm not sure which way we'll go, although I'd assume I-90. They usually get Safeway Tours buses, so I'm hoping we get one with a programmable Horizon sign! :P

They always have E-Z Passes.

From what I heard boston has some nice CNG buses that you can't see on TTC, get some pictures/videos of that too. :P

I'm more interested in trolley buses than anything, although CNG is increasingly rare!

However, if I have to pick between a trolley and a CNG, sorry CNG. :P

Do they still have flashing advertising in the tunnels in between Central and Kendall stations on the pink line? Also, I was in Boston in 2005 and distinctly remember signs saying Pink Line. I just looked at the MBTA website and it is labeled as Red Line. Was it recently changed or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

Do they still have flashing advertising in the tunnels in between Central and Kendall stations on the pink line? Also, I was in Boston in 2005 and distinctly remember signs saying Pink Line. I just looked at the MBTA website and it is labeled as Red Line. Was it recently changed or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

The only "Pink Line" in the world is the Pink Line in Chicago.

The Red Line has always been the Red Line, ever since the MBTA created the color-coded lines in the 1960s.

I'm more interested in trolley buses than anything, although CNG is increasingly rare!

However, if I have to pick between a trolley and a CNG, sorry CNG. :P

You can find plenty of Neoplan AN-440LF ETB trolleys at the Harvard Square area in Cambridge (Red Line to Harvard station). The Silver Line Waterfront routes use Neoplan AN-460LF DMA dual-mode trolleybuses as well.

As for CNG, Boston has a number of NABI 40-LFW CNGs, New Flyer C40LFs and Neoplan AN-460LF CNGs (the latter two in both Silver Line and regular MBTA livery.)

Unfortunately, your school picked a lousy hotel for transit fanning. :P Both the route 355 bus and the adjacent Mishawum commuter rail station are only serviced by reverse-commuting trips (outbound from Boston in the a.m. rush, inbound in the afternoon). If you can get a hotel shuttle or a taxicab (or don't mind a 30 minute walk), you can get to the Anderson commuter rail station to the north. Service is hourly on weekdays and every two hours on weekends.

Unfortunately, your school picked a lousy hotel for transit fanning. :P Both the route 355 bus and the adjacent Mishawum commuter rail station are only serviced by reverse-commuting trips (outbound from Boston in the a.m. rush, inbound in the afternoon). If you can get a hotel shuttle or a taxicab (or don't mind a 30 minute walk), you can get to the Anderson commuter rail station to the north. Service is hourly on weekdays and every two hours on weekends.

We won't be at the hotel much at all, at most, 9 hours a day. I'll be downtown most of the time, closer to the transit action!

Have fun with that :P i went a few years ago with my school band.. it was so much fun playing at all the schools.

hopefully the pigs dont bug you like they did to me.

As I always say, they can bug me all they want, but I will have a copy of that photography policy with me.

I plan to go to Boston in early July. I intend to be in Boston July 4-8. I'll be staying in a dorm downtown to save money. However, on the 5th, I plan to visit the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine. I was originally planning on renting a car, but I am now considering taking Amtrak's Downeaster to Saco, Maine and taking a cab (8 miles to the museum).

When I'm transitfanning in Boston, I will bring a copy of the photography policy, and am seriously considering laminating it just in case I get a real anal MBTA employee, so I'll actually be preparing myself for any run-ins. :P

We won't be at the hotel much at all, at most, 9 hours a day. I'll be downtown most of the time, closer to the transit action!

As I always say, they can bug me all they want, but I will have a copy of that photography policy with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible transit ops:

Saturday the 19th I have an hour or so at the YMCA at 316 Huntington. It appears to be just east of where the green line goes underground.

Sunday the 20th I have two hours to "explore the Freedom Trail", then an hour later to "explore the quaint shops of Salem's pedestrian-only downtown.

Monday the 21st I have an hour and a half at South Market Street by Faneuil Hall, then another two hours later that evening.

Tuesday the 22nd I have an hour and a half around the museum of fine arts, then an hour later at Downtown Crossing.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Possible transit ops:

Saturday the 19th I have an hour or so at the YMCA at 316 Huntington. It appears to be just east of where the green line goes underground.

The YMCA is adjacent to the Northeastern stop on the Green Line's E branch. The busy route 39 bus also passes this site and uses the Neoplan AN460LF articulated buses.

Sunday the 20th I have two hours to "explore the Freedom Trail", then an hour later to "explore the quaint shops of Salem's pedestrian-only downtown.

There are numerous subway stations downtown, and you would probably have enough time for a quick trip such as the Green Line to Lechmere or the Blue Line to East Boston and Revere. Downtown bus service on the MBTA is limited on Sundays. If you are near the Boston Commons, the Silver Line BRT buses turn onto Tremont Street on their outbound run back to Dudley and run every 8 to 10 minutes. This route also uses the Neoplan artics although in a special silver paint scheme. Most of the other downtown buses that run on Sundays (11, 43, 55 and 93) have longer headways.

Sunday bus service in Salem is limited to routes 450 and 455, both of which are on hourly headways. These will likely be Neoplan AN440LF's. The commuter rail station is a few blocks from downtown and service runs about once an hour in each direction.

Monday the 21st I have an hour and a half at South Market Street by Faneuil Hall, then another two hours later that evening.

The downtown service is much busier on weekdays, and you should see a mix of RTS, Neoplan and New Flyer D40LF's.

Tuesday the 22nd I have an hour and a half around the museum of fine arts, then an hour later at Downtown Crossing.

The Green Line and 39 bus run past the museum. A few blocks away is Ruggles station, which is a major transfer point featuring the Orange Line, commuter rail and many busy bus routes. You'll see mostly NABI CNG low-floor buses here plus the occasional RTS and D40LF - the RTS's are mostly operated on the 'Crosstown' routes and feature a special paint scheme. You may also see blue and white RTS and Neoplan buses that belong to Paul Revere Transportation and are used on shuttle routes in the nearby medical area.

Have fun!

Jim

Great, thanks. Someone mentioned that all the trolley buses are in Harvard Sq, is this correct?

I was planning to hop on the red line to get there for a bit, would you recommend that?

Just don't do it on a Sunday. Once you walk out of the station, walk a bit north and look for where the trolley buses exit. Wait here, and shoot away. I have used that as a photo spot.

For Red Line pics, an outdoor shot is on the north end of Charles/MGH station.