GO Transit #1713

Greetings!

A few days ago, a GO Transit driver gave me a GO Transit 2007 calendar, and it has some interesting old photos of GO Transit vehicles.

A particular one has caught my eye, as it is not on our GO Transit roster, an Orion 01.508 being tested with compressed natural gas:

gotransit1713auz6.jpg

Anybody have any more information this, and what the other one was? (The calendar mentions there were two) I know that one of these was given to York U.

Greetings!

A few days ago, a GO Transit driver gave me a GO Transit 2007 calendar, and it has some interesting old photos of GO Transit vehicles.

A particular one has caught my eye, as it is not on our GO Transit roster, an Orion 01.508 being tested with compressed natural gas:

gotransit1713auz6.jpg

Anybody have any more information this, and what the other one was? (The calendar mentions there were two) I know that one of these was given to York U.

The other one ended up going on tour in Western Canada, eventually Brandon Transit picked it up converted it to diesel and subsequently retired it a few years ago. Last that I remember of it was that it was sitting at the back of the Brandon Transit garage along with two other retired Orion I's.

The other one ended up going on tour in Western Canada, eventually Brandon Transit picked it up converted it to diesel and subsequently retired it a few years ago. Last that I remember of it was that it was sitting at the back of the Brandon Transit garage along with two other retired Orion I's.

I thought that was the ex-TTC one.

I thought that was the ex-TTC one.

That's what I recall as well. When I rode these units in '92 they still had the typical brown seating that was common to many TTC buses at the time. TTC's units were 9360 and 9361 which were based out of Queensway Division for the CNG pilot program and later leased to GO for trial experiments with CNG operations. 1713 and 1714 were allocated to Steeprock and you could ususally find one of these buses operating in the late evening especially on Bayview. Cannot recall any on "C" service but I am sure they made an appearance as the two routes interlined at all times of the day depending on certain runs. I also recognize that driver who was nominated Driver of the Year a couple years back.

That's what I recall as well. When I rode these units in '92 they still had the typical brown seating that was common to many TTC buses at the time. TTC's units were 9360 and 9361 which were based out of Queensway Division for the CNG pilot program and later leased to GO for trial experiments with CNG operations. 1713 and 1714 were allocated to Steeprock and you could ususally find one of these buses operating in the late evening especially on Bayview. Cannot recall any on "C" service but I am sure they made an appearance as the two routes interlined at all times of the day depending on certain runs. I also recognize that driver who was nominated Driver of the Year a couple years back.

I'm going to make a pure guess that 1713 was given to York then? I do personally like the bus, and it still has it's original brown seating.

I'm going to make a pure guess that 1713 was given to York then? I do personally like the bus, and it still has it's original brown seating.

Both were CNG demos, both ran on TTC (9360/61) before going to GO (1713/14) they (or one of them) also demo'ed on ETS and Calgary Transit as well.

I'm not sure which when where but one went to Brandon Transit in Manitoba (as their 35) where it was converted to diesel and later retired, and the other is now used on York University's campus shuttles at YT-01...I saw it zipping east on the 401 a few days ago. Another Orion I, white ex GO 1125 is also used from time to time (which was bought for $1 from GO).

(my notes say 1713 to Brandon T, 1714 to York U)

Both were CNG demos, both ran on TTC (9360/61) before going to GO (1713/14) they (or one of them) also demo'ed on ETS and Calgary Transit as well.

I'm not sure which when where but one went to Brandon Transit in Manitoba (as their 35) where it was converted to diesel and later retired, and the other is now used on York University's campus shuttles at YT-01...I saw it zipping east on the 401 a few days ago. Another Orion I, white ex GO 1125 is also used from time to time (which was bought for $1 from GO).

Odd, I've only seen YT-01 (which I really like) but, in all my time at York, I have not seen the other.

So I talked to one of the main York drivers today. She says the other Orion I was retired (the white one) due to frame problems and another complication that they discovered in the process.

Unless I was mistaken, I think she mentioned that YT-01 (the one pictured above) may be taken out of service too. :lol:

• 5 years later...

there u go, ex-GO 1713 & 14 = TTC 9360 & 61

and ex GO 1714, the ex-York U shuttle bus still exist on planet today, it still parks at Fiba Canning on Markham road and Finch area together with that ex-TTC, ex-Markham Transit #2055, the converted CNG Fishbowl

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump! YT-01 is still there along with the Fishbowl. There were also some YRT D40LFR's there as well but that's a different story I guess. The Orion just sits there rotting away.

I wonder who has taken any recent videos of YT-02, ex-GO Transit 1125?

~Ben

I wonder who has taken any recent videos of YT-02, ex-GO Transit 1125?

~Ben

It wasn't YT-02, one of the ELF's had that number. Ex-GO 1125 ran around painted all-white with no number or markings. It was scrapped a number of years ago, apparently is was a large POS, but it did get flogged daily in regular GO service for years (versus YT-01 which likely had a much lower amount of miles on it).