Vancouver general sightings and notes

Enviro 500

55 minutes ago, madog222 said:

Today around noon two E60LFR ran off wire along Broadway westbound within a few minutes of each other, spotted just east of Fraser. They may have turned south on Fraser.

There was a fire that resulted in the 20 being on detour for a short time this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2102 said:

18321 was on the 23 earlier

Internal source says this is a “Run as Directed” assignment to address downtown crowds. Additional unscheduled runs on 2/5/6/19 went out over the weekend, but appearances on the 23 were done on supervisors discretion. 

18393 also appeared on the 23 on Saturday.

• Like 1

Spotted what seemed to be a demonstrator BYD K9 (white with some branding on the side, destination sign marked "Electric Bus Demo") on the route of the 337 today (heading southbound on 160th Av between 108 and 104). Didn't get a picture but does anyone have an idea of what it might be doing in Surrey?

Two four-car Mark I consists in a row on the Expo Line. (Didn't catch the numbers of the other cars, but 019-020 is on one end of the second train.) I know you still see short consists on the Expo occasionally, but two in a row? Is BCRTC short of working rolling stock right now?

1 hour ago, Busmanic92 said:

That's nothing new. Before the newer trains came in service, we even had train-to-main, shuttles during high capacity periods (like 2 car train shuttling helping out)

Nothing new to me

By your logic, 1985 is nothing new and the garage transfers thread should not exist.

The last time there were this many 4-car mark 1s was November 2021 with all the mk3s sitting in the yard.

At this rate they’ll need to run shuttles from Columbia to Surrey because by 8:30pm all the eastbound trains are still jam packed

• Haha 1

Update: According to third-hand sources, the maintenance backlog at Edmonds OMC is massive right now, to the point where there's not enough cars to make book-out. They're running the Mark Is in four-car consists instead of cutting frequencies. (No word on how long it will last, and in particular whether it will be cleared up by next weekend when the Gateway switch replacement starts.)

Mark Is seem to be slowly returning to 6-car consists as of yesterday. I caught one in the eastbound direction yesterday evening around 7:00PM and the need for 6-car capacity became evident when train reached Columbia and immediately became full after loading the whole platform.

1 hour ago, GORDOOM said:

@8800GTX: still an issue. Three four-car Mark I consists in a row this morning (07:45, at King George).

I've been trying to submit feedback on this but the website form keeps giving me errors ☹️

I don't mind a few trains being switched to smaller 4-cars as long as most Mark I service is still provided by 6-car trains as is the case now. But if what we had on Friday of "all" of the Mark Is being switched to 4-car is true, then that's an actual cut in service that needs to be communicated to riders through Alerts at minimum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Express691 said:

Regarding the rolling LED ads on the SkyTrain inside the Dunsmuir tunnel: Seems like there is a rotation of ads nowadays with there being ads for Las Vegas, Enchanted, and Spider-Verse lately.

I've also seen a tourism ad for Kelowna along with Rogers/Fido.

56 minutes ago, Express691 said:

Speaking of Mk1:

The last day for Line 3 in Toronto (Scarborough RT) is going to be November 18.

I believe they'll be replaced with the 5 car mk v sets starting this year i believe. That will be a really sad day for me when all of these mk1's are officially gone from Vancouver. 

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...