OPUS/Magnetic Card Discussion

mtltransitguy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm unhappy to mention that I lost my OPUS card yesterday so today I went to Berri-UQAM's service centre to replace it (the only OPUS service centre that is typically open seven days a week).

If you do lose it and you have it registered, it is a good idea to bring the receipt of your previous purchase (ex: Feb 2011 CAM receipt) which has useful information for the employee that will recharge you a new card.

For the record, I caused great confusion to the STM employee because I have two OPUS cards registered. One is with my full name; one is with my first or middle name only. I did not realize this.

The technical term is "CPO" for Carte à Puce Occasionnelle". The STM has branded it as an occasional user's card and has called it "L'Occasionnelle". You can have one of the three fares on your CPO:

• Soirée Illimitée
  • 24 hour pass
  • 3 day pass

L'Occasionnelle is a smart card, and is just like the SOLO card used by the AMT, RTL, RTC, and a couple CITs (the Gestrans ones I think?). You can purchase "L'Occasionnelle" in a metro vending machine (not from a changeur).

• 2 months later...

Just a quick question as to the use of Opus on the CIT systems...

Have all the CITs integrated Opus Scanners into the fareboxes on their buses or are there still some that have yet to install them?

I need to know this since i'm buying a TRAM 8 on my Opus for the month of June and I don't want to be waiting at a stop and told that my card can't be read when I get on the bus in the middle of nowhere...

*EDIT*

My question also includes the CRT Lanaudiere inside the AMT Fare Integration zone (Terrebonne, Mascouche, L'Assomption, Repentigny, etc.) and the Oka Express

Have all the CITs integrated Opus Scanners into the fareboxes on their buses or are there still some that have yet to install them?

I need to know this since i'm buying a TRAM 8 on my Opus for the month of June and I don't want to be waiting at a stop and told that my card can't be read when I get on the bus in the middle of nowhere...

*EDIT*

My question also includes the CRT Lanaudiere inside the AMT Fare Integration zone (Terrebonne, Mascouche, L'Assomption, Repentigny, etc.) and the Oka Express

No, not all transit commissions have integrated them yet, but whenever I use a CIT and show the driver my opus, they let me pass.... Who knows how many people commit fare fraud.

*EDIT*

ALL CITs have OPUS readers on their buses since September 2010. Your TRAM 8 (lucky) will work on all CITs and CRTL services within AMT's Zone 8.

Alex

ALL CITs have OPUS readers on their buses since September 2010. Your TRAM 8 (lucky) will work on all CITs and CRTL services within AMT's Zone 8.

Alex

Thank you very much 170/16.

I'm looking forward to all the travelling i'll be doing in June. First time with a TRAM 8, second time with anything more than a CAM.

Alex

I've experienced boarding some buses that don't have scanners, such as a Classic bus in Chateauguay.

I've experienced boarding some buses that don't have scanners, such as a Classic bus in Chateauguay.

OK, but you were still allowed to board right? It happens also on the rare occasion where Veolia loans St-Jean buses to CRC or Ste-Julie services.

Alex

OK, but you were still allowed to board right? It happens also on the rare occasion where Veolia loans St-Jean buses to CRC or Ste-Julie services.

Alex

Yes, still able to board <_<

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump this topic back up, but I've found out that if you have a full OPUS card, you can request a second card at an AMT billetterie and they'll give you a new one with 4 free slots at no charge!

When I went to renew my card (reduced fare), they again made me two cards at the regular price even though they could have fit the tickets I have on one.

This is great news for people like me who simply can't live with just 4 slots. (I need one for my current month pass, one for the next month's pass, one for STM-Montreal tickets, one for STM-Laval tickets, one for STL tickets, one for TRAIN tickets, and one for CITL tickets)

Can't guarantee the same treatment elsewhere, but I got this service at Montmorency both when the second card was initially produced and when it was renewed.

Sorry to bump this topic back up, but I've found out that if you have a full OPUS card, you can request a second card at an AMT billetterie and they'll give you a new one with 4 free slots at no charge!

When I went to renew my card (reduced fare), they again made me two cards at the regular price even though they could have fit the tickets I have on one.

This is great news for people like me who simply can't live with just 4 slots. (I need one for my current month pass, one for the next month's pass, one for STM-Montreal tickets, one for STM-Laval tickets, one for STL tickets, one for TRAIN tickets, and one for CITL tickets)

Can't guarantee the same treatment elsewhere, but I got this service at Montmorency both when the second card was initially produced and when it was renewed.

Thanks for the info. I usually go for the occassionnelle when full.

• 4 months later...

Indeed, and the media has recently covered this major story

At least the next generation of OPUS cards will inform the cardholder that the bloody thing expires, with the date clearly marked

All the GMA transit authorities, and probably RTC as well, are posting notices on their web sites that the first OPUS cards issued in 2008 are now coming up to their expiry, and people with those cards had better renew soon.

You can check Carte Opus to see when your card/s expire and info on how to renew

It is high time that the transit agencies of greater Montreal create guides to their fare systems, as there are caveats to pretty much all fares!! I'm talking printed leaflets that explain the little details about each fare.

ex:

CAM: Can't be used twice in a 10-minute period

STM tickets: Can't be put on an OPUS card that also has TRAM tickets.

AMT Zone X+1 tickets: Can't be put on a card with a TRAM pass for zone X and be used, as the monthly pass will take precedence.

etc...

Good thing we exist and care to talk about these things. Or else nobody would know.

Then again let's face it, the transit agencies only care about the majority of people that only require a monthly pass and nothing else. They are not looking to cater guys like us that might load an OPUS card with all sorts of fare media.

It is high time that the transit agencies of greater Montreal create guides to their fare systems, as there are caveats to pretty much all fares!! I'm talking printed leaflets that explain the little details about each fare.

ex:

CAM: Can't be used twice in a 10-minute period

STM tickets: Can't be put on an OPUS card that also has TRAM tickets.

AMT Zone X+1 tickets: Can't be put on a card with a TRAM pass for zone X and be used, as the monthly pass will take precedence.

etc...

Right. Back in the summer, I couldn't load STL tickets on my Opus card because I already had an STM day pass, RTL tickets and RTC tickets on my card at the time. <_<