Vancouver Trolleybus Discussion

Vancouvers Trolleys

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 1:12 PM, Express691 said:

The federal government announced they have funded the upgrades of the trolley overhead to extend its lifespan by 30-60 years

https://www.canada.ca/en/canada-infrastructure-bank/news/2023/12/federal-government-invests-in-longevity-of-trolley-bus-service-for-metro-vancouver.html

Page not found.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TransitFanKid said:

Can't wait to see what the new trolleybuses are going to look like!

From NFI, looking like current xd40/xn40/xde60/xe40's But with added poles. I'm not totally excited... Just a new bus.

• Confused 1

To me the New Flyer trolleys still seem to be going pretty strong, even after having been in service for the better part of 20 years.  Seems a shame to retire them if they're still doing the job.  Have they been becoming less reliable, or is this just a proactive measure?

35 minutes ago, SeanNelson said:

To me the New Flyer trolleys still seem to be going pretty strong, even after having been in service for the better part of 20 years.  Seems a shame to retire them if they're still doing the job.  Have they been becoming less reliable, or is this just a proactive measure?

I only have been on a dewired trolley 4 times. However, in the summertime, it is crazy hot inside and there is no AC obviously as they are the older buses in the CMBC fleet.

22 hours ago, TransitFanKid said:

I only have been on a dewired trolley 4 times. However, in the summertime, it is crazy hot inside and there is no AC obviously as they are the older buses in the CMBC fleet.

What I've heard (i wasn't in the region until 2012) these ones came with AC, but translink removed them once they were broken. 

But translink has a 20 year cycle before 2012(?) units, after that units stay for 10-12 without mid life work. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Busmanic92 said:

What I've heard (i wasn't in the region until 2012) these ones came with AC, but translink removed them once they were broken. 

Interesting. I did not hear about this. I always thought (they came without a/c) because trolleys didn't get as hot inside as diesel buses because they have no 'engine heat' to contend with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

But translink has a 20 year cycle before 2012(?) units, after that units stay for 10-12 without mid life work. 

I thought only buses made after 2012 have AC? (Except Orion Vs)

Since this rumor refuses to die, let me restate was has been said about it numerous times over the years.  A/C was not standard on Translink buses before the 2012 Xcelsior orders.  The Orion V's got A/C as part of their premium features for the highway runs.  The LFR trolleys, as well as any other bus order from before.  2012 were NOT delivered with A/C.  No buses have had A/C removed because it failed/didn't work/was too expensive/Translink is evil/whatever rationale people think up.  They never has the system in the first place.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Michael Marriott said:

Since this rumor refuses to die, let me restate was has been said about it numerous times over the years.  A/C was not standard on Translink buses before the 2012 Xcelsior orders.  The Orion V's got A/C as part of their premium features for the highway runs.  The LFR trolleys, as well as any other bus order from before.  2012 were NOT delivered with A/C.  No buses have had A/C removed because it failed/didn't work/was too expensive/Translink is evil/whatever rationale people think up.  They never has the system in the first place.

I thought the 2012 NFI XDE60s have AC?

16 minutes ago, TransitFanKid said:

I thought the 2012 NFI XDE60s have AC?

He said anything before 2012 did not have air conditioning (with the exception of the Orions). Anything 2012 or after has it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d say something about the downtown 19 shuttles using trolleys and being extended to Kingsway at 10th for the spring change, but I guess these days literally all sources are invalid.

mmmmm well I guess the next phase of St. Paul’s hospital is under way (complicating the southern turnaround) and the return of the 23 conventional runs is imminent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

About the wires in Vancouver: besides wires on main trolley routes, there are some that exist on minor streets and where trolleys won’t normally travel. (Such as, Frederick Street, Slocan St, Beatrice St, 34th Avenue). These are apparently for deadheads, unscheduled short turns, and training runs. Now, supposing u-turn wires did exist - would trolleys be able to turn around in the middle of the road using these? Or would they still have to pull poles or use side street wires (when available)?