Jump to content

Vancouver Trolleybus Discussion


Vancouvers Trolleys
 Share

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Skytrainman in vanwest said:

Spotted a Not in Service trolley on 41st avenue as usual for trolleys to dead heading, but there are no any updates on the return of trolleys on 41. Hoping to see trolleys by end of this month or November.

C2D1FBD4-8206-4F2C-A37A-71821DBCFF3D.jpeg

Joyce station is still under construction, if you go to Joyce station you'll find out why the 41 are not trolleys. The 41's are unable to enter or exit the station with a trolley bus.

It has nothing to do with Oakridge, trolleys go through there all the time and they got pull pullers on site.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Phillip said:

Joyce station is still under construction, if you go to Joyce station you'll find out why the 41 are not trolleys. The 41's are unable to enter or exit the station with a trolley bus.

It has nothing to do with Oakridge, trolleys go through there all the time and they got pull pullers on site.

Ok I see, and I've been hearing some news on Joyce Station construction

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha! I saw 2140 enter Joyce station at 18:50 this evening doing a short turn on a 19. It entered into the East loop no problem, but leaving Joyce station it dewired turning left onto Joyce Street. Not enough room to take that turn.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Phillip said:

Ha! I saw 2140 enter Joyce station at 18:50 this evening doing a short turn on a 19. It entered into the East loop no problem, but leaving Joyce station it dewired turning left onto Joyce Street. Not enough room to take that turn.

Maybe it means that it is possible to use trolley to run 41 for now but just the turn in Joyce station. I just found out that every time if there is a construction or a minor detour on a trolley route translink always despatch diesels for that day or that period of time just because the current trolleys have weaker nickel cadmium batteries and using diesels can be a easier maneuvering but wasting most of the wire on the majority of the route. If translink have trolleys that have IMC and Powerful lithium ion batteries, like the trolleys in most part of Europe and China, keep using trolleys won’t be a problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Skytrainman in vanwest said:

Spotted a Not in Service trolley on 41st avenue as usual for trolleys to dead heading, but there are no any updates on the return of trolleys on 41. Hoping to see trolleys by end of this month or November.

C2D1FBD4-8206-4F2C-A37A-71821DBCFF3D.jpeg

Oh? How interesting. Me just dreamed of a 41 trolley! (Even though this is not a 41, but close enough.)

13 hours ago, Phillip said:

Ha! I saw 2140 enter Joyce station at 18:50 this evening doing a short turn on a 19. It entered into the East loop no problem, but leaving Joyce station it dewired turning left onto Joyce Street. Not enough room to take that turn.

Short-turn? What dids it say?

 

19 JOYCE STN maybe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2020 at 4:13 PM, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Someone change this to Vancouver Trolleybus Discussion, so there is no need to create each of them threads for every single trolley route.

Done, and I merged the other thread into this one. Some posts were removed to eliminate confusion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Done, and I merged the other thread into this one. Some posts were removed to eliminate confusion.

Oh, okay, thanks you!

 

On 10/15/2020 at 6:45 PM, Phillip said:

Joyce station is still under construction, if you go to Joyce station you'll find out why the 41 are not trolleys. The 41's are unable to enter or exit the station with a trolley bus.

It has nothing to do with Oakridge, trolleys go through there all the time and they got pull pullers on site.

Where shoulds I post this?

Here or General Sightings?

Anyways, saw a deadheading artic some weeks ago and them does have pull pullers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

 

8 hours ago, 9924 said:

Hopefully everyone can get off their anti-anxiety pills now 🤣

There was a switch problem at EB 41 Ave Granville St. Power switch not resetting after someone triggers it to turn SB on Granville St. I dewired on it twice this week, they put a slow order effect last night.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, VancouverTrolleybus said:

Yesterday a 20 trolley artic seemingly turned onto Commercial Drive from Broadway Station. 20's don't go on Broadway. Perhaps it a 20 short-turn at Broadway STN and then it turned around?

Yes, likely a short turn, I've seen 20 short turn there before.

Today there was a trolley power outage along Hastings towards Kootney loop and on Renfrew Street, 14 and 16 were sitting with no power.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

Why was that artic stuck at Yukon and Marine on Friday? Couldn’t the driver just put them poles back up and goes forward again?

9423A7AA-DE51-44CC-B9B2-472E5CE02DF5.jpeg

Hard to tell from the photo, but I'd assume that possibly one of the poles is caught in the overhead.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Vancouvers Trolleys said:

Why was that artic stuck at Yukon and Marine on Friday? Couldn’t the driver just put them poles back up and goes forward again?

9423A7AA-DE51-44CC-B9B2-472E5CE02DF5.jpeg

Judging by the pic it looks like the driver wasn’t paying attention which way his poles were going and when the bus and the poles were turning away from each other the poles dewired and got tangled in the overhead wires. I’ve seen that happen on the Cambie & Marine intersection as well as Marine Drive Loop.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's likely the case, I always listen to my poles when they pass through a power switch and I look at my ropes out the rear window to confirm I'm on the correct wires.

The worst spots on the 41 route is the WB Dunbar st power switch and EB Granville St power switch. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

That's likely the case, I always listen to my poles when they pass through a power switch and I look at my ropes out the rear window to confirm I'm on the correct wires.

The worst spots on the 41 route is the WB Dunbar st power switch and EB Granville St power switch. 

I can't see sh!t out of that back window lol!  I always adjusted my side view mirror a bit higher so I can see the poles, worked great on the 60fters.  

I was holiday blocking one sheet, did the 5/6 clockwise for a full 3 weeks straight and then did the 17 the next week.  Took me a week to just to remember to coast and not power the switch at the bottom of Cambie/Nelson.

With 41st/Dunbar, quite a few of the 7s lost their poles a few weeks ago coming through the intersection SB for some reason.  Then one 7 took out some wire making the turn from 41st onto Dunbar around the same time, but wasn't the same wire where people were loosing their poles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...