bad news

I was at St. Laurent today and 7926, 8004, 8118 and 8119 were parked on the gravel embankment on the west side of the South garage. Looks like they're done and the days are likely numbered for the rest of them. On the plus side, 8121 was spotted back on the road today.

So the remaining fleet is 8008, 09, 8106, 11, 20, 21, 22, 8238, 39.

WHAT! NOOOOOOOOOO! 7926 was in service just 2 days ago! I cannot believe this! Isn't OC Transpo still short of buses? I really hope that there not retired just yet. Let us now if they get their OC Transpo decals pray painted over red.

Good riddance to crappy buses!!

While the sound of the motor might be a bit too noisy, they are, for the most part, reliable buses that has served many transportation systems well.

(However, I don't happen to prefer it over any other bus from a passenger's point of view :) )

The poster that started this knew exactly what he wanted to do, which was to create a 'war'. There was no point in his post and it was clearly an attack to start something. If you don't like a type of bus, don't comment about it and keep negative trash talk to yourself. That's my opinion and it would avoid this type of stuff from happening.

The poster that started this knew exactly what he wanted to do, which was to create a 'war'. There was no point in his post and it was clearly an attack to start something. If you don't like a type of bus, don't comment about it and keep negative trash talk to yourself. That's my opinion and it would avoid this type of stuff from happening.

I foresee this topic getting locked.

And in the event that it does, I know FULLY who was in the wrong here.

All members are entitled to their opinion.

What R. Serbey has said has been said about other buses in the past. We should give R Serbey the benefit of the doubt and just believe it's his opinion and had no intention of starting a 'war' unless he/she admits it.

All members are entitled to their opinion.

What R. Serbey has said has been said about other buses in the past. We should give R Serbey the benefit of the doubt and just believe it's his opinion and had no intention of starting a 'war' unless he/she admits it.

I know, but there's lot's of die-hard New Look fans on this board soo.. When someone talks negative about them, these situations seem to happen.

I'll Probally get shoot for saying this, but its time to put the "New Looks" to retirement. They dud there job for a good 40 years(1960) plus, let them rest in peace.

But 7926 was only 28 years old! That's YOUNG for a Fishbowl !! Calgary's oldest are 1977's and still going strong and Edmonton's oldest are 1972's and still going strong there as well! I guess you got shot! :-p

Of course the poster knew exactly what he was doing. When he originally posted the comment the moderators deleted it, maybe he should explain to us why he posted again, and also the moderators should tell us why they deleted it the first time, but not this time?

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are ways of expressing an opinion, and this posting isn't it, it was posted in such a way to provoke a flaming war, and if moderators and other members cant see this they must be very naive.

Then you should probably delete all your anti-LFS posts...

But 7926 was only 28 years old! That's YOUNG for a Fishbowl !! Calgary's oldest are 1977's and still going strong and Edmonton's oldest are 1972's and still going strong there as well! I guess you got shot! :-p

Timmins has 74's and 75's still running revenue service. also... didn't i hear somewhere that winnipeg had a 1960 in revenue service. I love the new looks. If the government hadn't have placed preferential treatment for OBI then we might still have buses made that lasted... NFI, ORION, NOVA, DENNIS ETC.. ETC... will never EVER come close to matching the life expectancy of a GM Bus EVER!!!! well maybe in twenty years.

Timmins has 74's and 75's still running revenue service. also... didn't i hear somewhere that winnipeg had a 1960 in revenue service. I love the new looks. If the government hadn't have placed preferential treatment for OBI then we might still have buses made that lasted... NFI, ORION, NOVA, DENNIS ETC.. ETC... will never EVER come close to matching the life expectancy of a GM Bus EVER!!!! well maybe in twenty years.

Actually, the last of the Winnipeg 1960 Fishbowls were retired in late summer of 1999. Winnipeg Transit's oldest buses are about 3 or 4 1984 Flyer D901A-10240's. Maybe you were thinking of Beaver Bus Lines which still operates two 1960 GM TDH-4517's on School runs along with 5 other Fishbowls. Here is a link to the Beaver Bus Lines Photo Gallery on my website with photos of their Fishbowls:

http://www.busdrawings.com/coach/beaver/index.htm

Actually, the last of the Winnipeg 1960 Fishbowls were retired in late summer of 1999. Winnipeg Transit's oldest buses are about 3 or 4 1984 Flyer D901A-10240's. Maybe you were thinking of Beaver Bus Lines which still operates two 1960 GM TDH-4517's on School runs along with 5 other Fishbowls. Here is a link to the Beaver Bus Lines Photo Gallery on my website with photos of their Fishbowls:

http://www.busdrawings.com/coach/beaver/index.htm

thats the old girl i was talking about. she looks good for a bus coming upon her 50th birthday in 3 years.

Then you should probably delete all your anti-LFS posts...

We all know you love the LFS more then anyone on this board, but that's not the point here...

Once the LFS reaches a fraction of how good the New Look was, then I might consider it, but we all know that will never happen.

I know, but there's lot's of die-hard New Look fans on this board soo.. When someone talks negative about them, these situations seem to happen.

Yeah, I understand, but I think we should all act appropriately even if the subject brings up a lot emotions.

Of course the poster knew exactly what he was doing. When he originally posted the comment the moderators deleted it, maybe he should explain to us why he posted again, and also the moderators should tell us why they deleted it the first time, but not this time?

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are ways of expressing an opinion, and this posting isn't it, it was posted in such a way to provoke a flaming war, and if moderators and other members cant see this they must be very naive.

Yeah, I agree R. Serbey's opinion wasn't expressed as best as it could have been, but as I have said before, people have said the same thing about other buses.

The first post by R. Serbey was seen as offensive, and was removed. R. Serbey then posted a cleaner version of that post, which is the one in this thread.

You are getting mad because I have an opinion.

The fact that those buses have been on the road for so long, had nothing to do with quality, and reliability.

It has everything to do with availability of parts, and the skill and experience of the mechanics who tirelessly keep those buses running.

GM fishbowls are crap, compared to a modern bus The ride quality is poor, you can only rebuild a bus so many times.

Transit is almost all about image. A transit agency keeping the same bus for 25+ years sends a pretty bleak image about transit in general.

I have said it now, and I say it again:

No bus should never be in service, for more than 15 years

For all you people who are all up in arms of R. Serbey's post regarding the "crappy" buses comment, you all seriously NEED TO RELAX. He is entitled to his opinion, ya know.

Honestly, posting here for the past few months, judging from what I've seen, you all seem to live sheltered lives, and CAN'T take any criticism. For god sakes, it's a messageboard! Loosen up a little bit, and this place might actually be more fun to visit. Many of you remind me of my tight wad high school teachers who always had something up their butts.

I've posted on many forums and you guys take the cake when it comes to strict rules and what not.... but all in all, many of them aren't necessary.

I hope this will be a wake up call to many of you.

Admins/Mods, deleting my post will just prove my point. So, I would advise against not deleting what I have to say. :)

Is Rob a Bus Operator who drive's Fishbowls often? I drive them frequently here at Calgary Transit and some are tired and nearing the end of their life and others are still in very good shape. Very few of these buses need to be towed in due to break downs. Most of the buses that I see being towed back to the shops are much newer buses like Low Floors. Last Thursday I drove 1979 GM #982 with no power steering, and no major refurbishing since new in 1979. Even still has the original paint job from new in 1979. This bus had good steering, only the windows rattled which was very typical of a Fishbowl from that age. Other than that, this bus was very solid and had lots of power and didn't even smoke too bad out the exhaust pipe. The Fishbowls are also in the shop less often than the newer Low Floors of today. I walk through the shops at Spring Gardens quite often, and what do I see mostly? Low Floors ranging from 1993 right to the newest 2005's that are currently active. Also, the GM Fishbowls that I have been driving ride a lot softer than the Low Floors of which I also drive regularly. BANG CRASH RATTLE! :-) I am not trying to stir anything here, but just my opinion as a Bus Operator