Edmonton BBC's

captaintrolley

I heard a driver call in, saying he has driven trolleys before, but he lost his poles at that location a few times. So he asked for new shoes or a changeover. Now, I don't know if other drivers just know a trick to get through that one, or if he hasn't driven that route before...

I think the Captain commented at somepoint... somewhere...

It will be fun with some new drivers on trolleys, or at least specific trolley routes. Of course, the 3/120 with Stony Plain Rd and 156 St.

I think the Captain commented at somepoint... somewhere...

It will be fun with some new drivers on trolleys, or at least specific trolley routes. Of course, the 3/120 with Stony Plain Rd and 156 St.

The OH is just wonky in some places. You should be able to negotiate all the crossovers the same way and all the switches the same way, but specific locations have their *finer points*. 156 Street and Stony Plain Road W-->S is all about position. Of course someone will dewire, knock something out of kilter just a fraction of a hairline, and effectively 'change the equation'. The switch at 95 Street and 111 Avenue S-->W is another fun spot. Dennis tilts his mirror, goes through the breaker and watches so that he is very close to the signal receiver, sends the signal and then tiptoes through the switch. He says he's made the switch everytime for the last three weeks if not longer. I suppose all this 'wonkiness' is to keep the trolley troopers from becoming complacent. Besides, it's fun to see if you can 'make it through' each time :P Everyone needs a challenge. Right Epcor ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know how true this is, but John on the Route 3 says Charlie (da boss) told him the trolleys will be gone in 6 months. Personally I think he's looking for a reaction from me. I really wish Geoff would come back to the Route 3. John's a bit too weird first thing in the morning.

I don't know how true this is, but John on the Route 3 says Charlie (da boss) told him the trolleys will be gone in 6 months. Personally I think he's looking for a reaction from me. I really wish Geoff would come back to the Route 3. John's a bit too weird first thing in the morning.

Charlie can go to hell with his thoughts. What right does he have to be saying anything like this without any order from council. He has turned into one of them and im really pissed that he lost has fallen into the wrong gang.

I think this John guy is full of it.

I've haven't heard anything about getting rid of the trolleys.

I think this John guy is full of it.

I've haven't heard anything about getting rid of the trolleys.

I tend to agree.

I can't imagine it came from Stolte.

I am aware of something which would seem to indicate the trolleys will be around for at least 1 more year (ie, 2008 when they come up for review next).

There's a lot of rumours floating around. First I hear this 'crappola' from John. Then Rick on the Route 5 tells me that there is going to be another 'trolley vote' in council this summer. That's because the last 'vote' was before Charles Stolte and Rick Ducharme came on scene. He says the two new bosses are demanding another 'vote'. Good grief.

He's full of it unless he means that they are being replaced in six months with new ones! :)

One can only hope :D

Take that with a grain of salt. Having another trolley vote because there's some new management is illogical. Council set the directive in 2004, and when Stolte and Ducharme were hired, they were hired to follow that direction. However, if there is a another vote on trolleys because of this reason, you'd have to follow the reasoning to its logical end, and have another vote on SLRT, hybrids, 30 footers, DATS, etc because that was all decided before they started. Heck, following that line of thinking everything would have to be revoted whenever a new management member came on, because they weren't there when the previous descion was made (Maybe council should also rethink the NE LRT alignment, and whether streetcars should be abandonded). All in all, I don't think there will be another vote this year. The review is scheduled for 2008 (only next year), a majority on council supports trolleys, nothing happened at budget time and there are other more pressing issue in this city than revisiting policy that is due to be reviewed next year anyway. If the new bosses are demanding another vote, then they have too high an opinion of themselves, and are not doing their jobs by paying too much attention to what is a non-issue at the moment (which conviently distracts from all the real issues facing transit at the moment).

There's a lot of rumours floating around. First I hear this 'crappola' from John. Then Rick on the Route 5 tells me that there is going to be another 'trolley vote' in council this summer. That's because the last 'vote' was before Charles Stolte and Rick Ducharme came on scene. He says the two new bosses are demanding another 'vote'. Good grief.

One can only hope :)

Take that with a grain of salt. Having another trolley vote because there's some new management is illogical. Council set the directive in....

Maybe they should vote on when they should clear the damn snow. 245am i bounce out of bed thinking a big accident and theres a grader taking out the ice and snow from 6-7 weeks ago right outside my building on the city streets. Not acceptable and actually not permitted in residential area's. They want to vote, Vote on spending some money to clear the snow right away and not at 245am when im sleeping waking my whole family including my 3 year old up. Yes im totally pissed and needed somewhere to rant. its ERRS AGM meeting tonight which means i wont get home till 1030-11pm tonight and im up already because some jackass in the city is not even directing these people when and where they can do thier job... oh wait thats becoming an ongoing issue here from everything from roads to transit...

ok im done im going back to bed...man im so pissed off and these comments by drivers and staff are not helping. especially since they are not true.

After this thing came out that GM's will be replaced in 2008... I can't help but wonder if there might be some truth to these trolley rumors.

They will certainly be buying enough buses in a short enough period of time that they could defer the retirement of a fleet of GM's (50 or) until 2009 and instead replace the trolleys with some of those low floors.

A decision like this would probaby need to be made soon.

However, in order to get 220 buses here within 2 years they need to get on someone orders book SOON. Especially if that someone is New Flyer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the old stickers were placed on the standee window just to the left of the doors.

The new stickers are larger and placed between the window and door.

This is located at more of an eye level to give ample warning incase anyone has any ideas of attempting to climb to the roof. Could be a legal thing.

On most BBC's there is a sticker on the standee window that says "Authorised Personnel only above this level". On a couple of the Toronto ones, there is a larger sticker on the side just to the rear of the rear doors underneath the window that says "Maintainance personnel on roof only" (subtle difference). I know 192 has this, and I guess 177 does too. If you look over the Toronto BBC's, you'll be able to find some little things that Toronto changed or put one and was never changed back. The most extreme example is 181's numbering, but there are subtler ones. For instance, 156,157 and 180 still have stickers certifying that they have been checked by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the old stickers were placed on the standee window just to the left of the doors.

The new stickers are larger and placed between the window and door.

This is located at more of an eye level to give ample warning incase anyone has any ideas of attempting to climb to the roof. Could be a legal thing.

On most BBC's there is a sticker on the standee window that says "Authorised Personnel only above this level". On a couple of the Toronto ones, there is a larger sticker on the side just to the rear of the rear doors underneath the window that says "Maintainance personnel on roof only" (subtle difference).
172 has this bigger one too!

You can still see the outline of the TTC Logo on it too!