Post TTC Application (You've made it! Now let's talk!)

nokia_b0y

7 hours ago, fidoo66 said:

I have never driven an artic in the snow actually. Are they actually just as bad as hybrids? Aren't they better cause they're diesel :huh:

They can jackknife. like this

B-Y13I3IgAAABJ-.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/2wogug/xpost_from_rwtf_articulated_bus_split_in_half/

Personally I seen a few get stuck on Dufferin.

23 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I was told that 30 or so broke down just from MtD overnight from a snowstorm 2 years ago. Being stranded overnight is terrible for everyone. Better retire all the hybrids or bring some diesels to all divisions if they really want to focus on customer service. They're forecasting a cold and snowy winter this year. Unfortunately MtD and Malvern only have hybrids or artics. Both are horrible during a snowstorm.

MD has a lot of routes with hills. Not a good combination. I remember in that storm doing the 89 being full standing and inching my way up Weston @ Black Creek. Wasn't fun.

Also have bad memories doing the 55, 47 and 161/71B....and that's not even mentioning the 32 or 52. Yikes!

2 minutes ago, andyman said:

MD has a lot of routes with hills. Not a good combination. I remember in that storm doing the 89 being full standing and inching my way up Weston @ Black Creek. Wasn't fun.

Reminds me of the 52's with the old GMs going up the hill on Lawrence west of Scarlett. The worst ones could barely make it up on a dry sunny day with an empty load. Toronto does have a lot of ravines everywhere. 

On 12/5/2016 at 4:53 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

just watch out when it's winter on the 95...

Hmm interesting I have actually seen this video before lol. One question tho, lets say the bus in front rolled a few more feet down, ultimately hitting the driver and the bus behind it...who would be at fault?

Would the driver in front be at fault for not knowing how to get up a hill or would the driver behind him be at fault for being so close to his a** and not keeping a safe space?

Just curious 

3 hours ago, fidoo66 said:

Hmm interesting I have actually seen this video before lol. One question tho, lets say the bus in front rolled a few more feet down, ultimately hitting the driver and the bus behind it...who would be at fault?

Would the driver in front be at fault for not knowing how to get up a hill or would the driver behind him be at fault for being so close to his a** and not keeping a safe space?

Just curious 

Whose at fault is the person supposed to be doing the salting! Lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fidoo66 said:

Just curious 

Most likely non preventable.  Each bus is different even though they are the same model.  Some buses can make it some can't. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I was reading a few pages here and there was a time many people were concerned with master list.  From what I gather it's like a big reshuffling in divisions to even things out?  Lots of worried posting but did something come of it or did I miss a page reading?

Would like to hear more about master lists and the process.

I have just been giving a training start date for Bloor Danforth subway. Any tips or links to good info would be appreciated!  

In training, is there any emphasis on driving smoothly?

I was on a bus the other day where the op constantly stabbed and then released the accelerator. The speed of the bus was governed by how often the pedal was stabbed/released. Since this was a 7900, it was quite jerky. Pulling around Islington station to the bays, I regretted getting up and standing by the door, since the busts of power were pretty abrupt.

Fortunately I don't get seasick....or at least, I haven't been seasick yet, despite being out in the middle of the Atlantic on tossing ferries a few times.

On 24/01/2017 at 10:09 AM, Ed T. said:

I was on a bus the other day where the op constantly stabbed and then released the accelerator. The speed of the bus was governed by how often the pedal was stabbed/released. Since this was a 7900, it was quite jerky. Pulling around Islington station to the bays, I regretted getting up and standing by the door, since the busts of power were pretty abrupt.

Fortunately I don't get seasick....or at least, I haven't been seasick yet, despite being out in the middle of the Atlantic on tossing ferries a few times.

I had a 79 yesterday with the worst harshest retarder ever. Almost didn't even need to touch the brakes but of course people thought it was me who didn't know how to drive...

14 hours ago, andyman said:

I had a 79 yesterday with the worst harshest retarder ever. Almost didn't even need to touch the brakes but of course people thought it was me who didn't know how to drive...

I was on a PCC back in the day (when they were on their last legs) and this streetcar had only two modes, full acceleration and full braking. It was an exciting ride. B) I think that was the time when we went into Connaught and onto the ladder tracks from eastbound Queen. I remember how bouncy it was going over all those switches.

Anyway, I generally have two criteria for a transit operator's driving skill:

1. Knowing how to get the desired speed or braking by pressing the appropriate pedal the appropriate amount is a basic skill. Not constantly switching between "too much....too little....too much....too little...." You'd think this was essential ability, but there are many drivers of private vehicles who have no idea how to do this either. Sometimes these are the people who tailgate with the brake lights on and off in moving traffic, even though I can keep up while hardly varying the gas pedal pressure. The bus driver I had the other day was the worst failure I have come across on the TTC. These kinds of drivers/operators I consider unskilled.
  2. Managing hard braking without a jerk as the vehicle actually comes to a stop. I know I'm in the hands of a skilled driver if the bus or streetcar comes to a rapid stop without that final jerk, and I give the op full props for it.

There is, yes, but there is more emphasis on defensive driving. The "smoothness" will come with time and practice, and as mentioned by the other ops sometimes it's vehicle specific despite the best effort to drive smoothly.

1 hour ago, ttcscarb said:

got my call for Febuary 13  Streetcar training

My division is roncy.

Give me the down low on roncy and tips for streetcar!

Congrats! Nice division with lots of friendly people. It's like a family. Pay attention during training and do your homework, they're going to train you on all 3 types of cars; CLRVs, ALRVs and LFLRVs. Take your time and don't be too hasty, stop for all switches. The only thing with Roncy is that you don't have very many routes to choose from so there isn't a lot of available work which means there is a chance that you may be stuck on spareboard for the first little while. 

I second what TTCopITM said. It's a smaller division that feels like family, really good vibe going on. Shop steward is incredibly helpful and so are all the divisional trainers.

Parking on site is brutal but you can park for free with your pass at Budapest Park and just walk across the bridge.

You'll first train on the new low floor streetcar at Leslie Barns, which is an incredible facility, and then the older A and C cars at Roncy and Russell. Pay attention in class and get ready for a challenging experience.

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎29 at 0:25 AM, slowtyper said:

Any advice for me, going to Bloor Danforth?  

What are the "bad shifts" that new guys get stuck with like and how long do you stay stuck with them?  Split shifts?

With subway you are on sign slip for 2-3 board periods. Which is night work called late reliefs, or on report after 2pm usually. There's really no bad shift, you serve the public based on there travel pattern which for us will not be normal working hours. Theres no 9-5 shift unless you have 15+ years  You may get lucky and never get sent out, but will come to bite you in the ass when your not getting the driving experience. I think they force you on a train if your not getting sent out often enough. You move up slowly in seniority compared to any other mode. They usually send you for SRT training within you probationary period, I guess to put more pressure for you to pass, compared to someone not on probation.

I guess now that I think about it, both YUS and BD, the worst shifts or off days are split off days, which is usually Sunday/Wednesday, Sunday/Tuesday and Sunday/Thursday.  All day work. no split off days on the Afternoon or night shift.

The T1s are a good train to drive, I like driving them over the TRs, I find the T1s handle much better. They brake better when fast, if you drive to slow the brakes can be rough. It sounds weird until you actually drive it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

With subway you are on sign slip for 2-3 board periods. Which is night work called late reliefs, or on report after 2pm usually. There's really no bad shift, you serve the public based on there travel pattern which for us will not be normal working hours. Theres no 9-5 shift unless you have 15+ years  You may get lucky and never get sent out, but will come to bite you in the ass when your not getting the driving experience. I think they force you on a train if your not getting sent out often enough. You move up slowly in seniority compared to any other mode. They usually send you for SRT training within you probationary period, I guess to put more pressure for you to pass, compared to someone not on probation.

I guess now that I think about it, both YUS and BD, the worst shifts or off days are split off days, which is usually Sunday/Wednesday, Sunday/Tuesday and Sunday/Thursday.  All day work. no split off days on the Afternoon or night shift.

The T1s are a good train to drive, I like driving them over the TRs, I find the T1s handle much better. They brake better when fast, if you drive to slow the brakes can be rough. It sounds weird until you actually drive it.

They don't train you guys on the SRT in initial training?

5 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

Thanks for your input!  What would you say the hardest part of subway training is? Hardest part of actual subway operation?  

So when you are on sign slip and "on report"...does that mean you are just waiting there to be called to drive?