Calgary Transit Tours

LRT

I thought the entire upstairs at VP was a no photo zone

Interesting. Things have certainly changed then when I was given my personal tour back in 1996 of VP Control and bus garage with camera in hand. Guess those were the good ol days when I could actually talk with the controllers.

Yep. We were kept either in front of the desk where rail control is, or in the room behind the communications people looking through the windows for the tour. The reasons stated were mostly related to privacy issues with the huge video wall showing the camera feeds and the as usual 'security' fear if someone happened to take a photo of the rail control map.

There are some shots of rail control (around 1:30) and the communications centre (around 3:30) in this video:

The security camera monitors have since been upgraded, though, and now look like this:

L-SS10transit5.jpg

Photo from this article

One thing that struck me during that part of the tour was how many Help phone calls CT gets each month: 10 000 - the vast majority of which are elevator requests.

• 5 months later...

DO isn't until late September. The "own version" is paraphrased from what I recall hearing Doug Morgan say at an event.

Ya i am just going off of what was communicated to thousands of operators at the 4 major garages...including doug morgan at spring gardens on wednesday....with numerous references to the "2012 doors open yyc" and the success of that all over the city.

Might be wrong....i certainly have been before... i guess we will see monday...but it was at the top of my notes from transit talk..

Ya i am just going off of what was communicated to thousands of operators at the 4 major garages...including doug morgan at spring gardens on wednesday....with numerous references to the "2012 doors open yyc" and the success of that all over the city.

Might be wrong....i certainly have been before... i guess we will see monday...but it was at the top of my notes from transit talk..

Indeed Tallis was correct. "Calgary Transit Backstage Anderson Garage" April 20-21. The official presser should be released at noon today.

However, as was communicated wednesday, Spring Gardens and once again, Victoria park are on the bid (waiting for approval) for Doors Open 2013 at the end of September.

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/backstage_2013.html

I personally wonder how this will work with all the buses they park in the bus service lane and inside the diesel shop. I went to the gym there this weekend. Both were jam packed with parked buses. Unless they park them outside...but they are AG buses...they probably wont start Monday...hmmm

Is this one worth going to? I live in Edgemont so it's ludicrously far to get down there.

If you were lucky enough to go to the doors open at oliver bowen and victoria Park then no, in my opinion, it is not worth it. Call me biased, and believe me i am with all the time i have spent there.... but in my opinion Anderson is boring.

Is this one worth going to? I live in Edgemont so it's ludicrously far to get down there.

Take the bus to Dalhousie and then catch the train to Anderson. Easy enough. As for far, well driving for CT and being all other the city in one day Anderson doesn't really seem that far away!

If you were lucky enough to go to the doors open at oliver bowen and victoria Park then no, in my opinion, it is not worth it. Call me biased, and believe me i am with all the time i have spent there.... but in my opinion Anderson is boring.

I too find Anderson boring, but then our job takes us there. For someone who has never been there it would be interesting. I am thinking of taking my son, however it is the same weekend as the train show.

Was able to go on a tour of Anderson shops not that long ago. Also did the tours of the OBMF and Vic Park for Doors Open. All three were organized with decent lead times and I definitely found all three worthwhile, but Anderson is showing it's age. Also, be prepared to hunch over a lot underneath the c-trains in the Anderson pits... I'm 5'11" and clearance underneath was not much more than 4'10"...

Jon