TTC Application Process

ericgu22

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have an idea for how long it'll take for the shitty schedule to get better? I know its all based towards seniority of the operator but sometimes its actually fucking me up. usually its straightforward but It can get exhausting quickly on bad days and im practically forced on the shitty routes unless someone does a last min cancel and they want me to cover, i have no luck on getting weekends off either. its almost been a year. i heard horror stories of some guys not getting weekends off for at least 3yrs, even 4 for some before getting off the shitty busy routes. im currently stuck on 24 and 924 which is very miserable especially in morning and afternoon rush in the weekdays

the best i ever got was 506 and line 3 replacement. gonna keep hoping on the line 3 downfall and maybe ill get a break down there

12 hours ago, CJ. said:

Does anybody have an idea for how long it'll take for the shitty schedule to get better? I know its all based towards seniority of the operator but sometimes its actually fucking me up. usually its straightforward but It can get exhausting quickly on bad days and im practically forced on the shitty routes unless someone does a last min cancel and they want me to cover, i have no luck on getting weekends off either. its almost been a year. i heard horror stories of some guys not getting weekends off for at least 3yrs, even 4 for some before getting off the shitty busy routes. im currently stuck on 24 and 924 which is very miserable especially in morning and afternoon rush in the weekdays

the best i ever got was 506 and line 3 replacement. gonna keep hoping on the line 3 downfall and maybe ill get a break down there

Aww. Tragic. 

Dry your tears with your pay statement.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Aww. Tragic. 

Dry your tears with your pay statement.

Money isn't everything though. Being extremely worn out on the busiest and roughest routes definitely takes a toll on someone, not to mention dealing with the savages that get on the bus every single day. 

14 hours ago, CJ. said:

Thankfully Victoria Park has both the local 24 and express 924 to contain the crowding and craziness, and supplement one another by spreading out loads. The 46 for example, it is a complete disaster during rush hours with no supplemental express service to take some of the load off.

8 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Money isn't everything though. Being extremely worn out on the busiest and roughest routes definitely takes a toll on someone, not to mention dealing with the savages that get on the bus every single day. 

Thankfully Victoria Park has both the local 24 and express 924 to contain the crowding and craziness, and supplement one another by spreading out loads. The 46 for example, it is a complete disaster during rush hours with no supplemental express service to take some of the load off.

Get in line. You’ll have to do better than one year’s worth of service to qualify for sympathy.

The door marked exit is to the right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Your stone-cold and unsupportive mentality is a prime example of why there is a high turnover of operators at the TTC. 

So explain to me then, what about this noob is more deserving than the 9000 other people ahead of him?

16 hours ago, CJ. said:

Everyone is informed about how demanding this job is right from the beginning of recruitment process, starting at the information session. This is one of the reasons that ride along assignment is there for applicants to complete. This way applicants get an idea that they will be working late and night shifts and on weekends. This point is again made clear at the of training.  None of this is a surprise to anyone who completes training. 

This job is demanding and not for everyone. If someone chooses to quit I don't think any less of them. First few years are the hardest on the job. It does get better with more experience and seniority. You have a year on the job and with the amount of new hires this past year, you already have some seniority. My friend and his training partner were last two on seniority list at their division for almost 3 years because TTC was not hiring at the time. In comparison you have it pretty good. 

You're new and you've already fallen into the trap that a lot of operators fall into. Referring to passengers we pick up as savages shows exactly what your character is. Most passengers are just regular people going about their daily business. Some people we pick up cause issues and its unfortunate that we have to deal with them. But to come in to do your job with the attitude that we pick up savages just makes you one of those asshole bus drivers that people complain about. Fix your attitude dude. 

Your stone-cold and unsupportive mentality is a prime example of why there is a high turnover of operators at the TTC. 

Bus_Medic is blunt and straight to the point and I agree with him. We're all adults here and there is no hand holding. Reality is that everyone is responsible for themselves and no amount of support will change the fact that the work you do as a noob sucks. 

• Thanks 1

2 years for me and scheduling hasn’t changed much. Doesn’t really matter how much are under you, it’s how much people leave (retire) above you that matters. I’ve given up on getting weekends off, and that’s ok. It’s about finding the right crew that would work for you to be able to put and have a social life. Once you accept that, things get better. 
i actually enjoy my wed and Thurs off

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

So explain to me then, what about this noob is more deserving than the 9000 other people ahead of him?

He can't reach out and voice his frustrations? I know this career entails this kind of lifestyle,  but come on. He is human,  and evidently he is going through a rough patch. Wouldn't you say it is better to reach out and talk about what is bothering him rather than just bottle it up?

5 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

Everyone is informed about how demanding this job is right from the beginning of recruitment process, starting at the information session. This is one of the reasons that ride along assignment is there for applicants to complete. This way applicants get an idea that they will be working late and night shifts and on weekends. This point is again made clear at the of training.  None of this is a surprise to anyone who completes training. 

This job is demanding and not for everyone. If someone chooses to quit I don't think any less of them. First few years are the hardest on the job. It does get better with more experience and seniority. You have a year on the job and with the amount of new hires this past year, you already have some seniority. My friend and his training partner were last two on seniority list at their division for almost 3 years because TTC was not hiring at the time. In comparison you have it pretty good. 

You're new and you've already fallen into the trap that a lot of operators fall into. Referring to passengers we pick up as savages shows exactly what your character is. Most passengers are just regular people going about their daily business. Some people we pick up cause issues and its unfortunate that we have to deal with them. But to come in to do your job with the attitude that we pick up savages just makes you one of those asshole bus drivers that people complain about. Fix your attitude dude. 

Bus_Medic is blunt and straight to the point and I agree with him. We're all adults here and there is no hand holding. Reality is that everyone is responsible for themselves and no amount of support will change the fact that the work you do as a noob sucks. 

Nowhere did I say that all of the passengers are savages. But we all know that among the passengers that get onboard, there is a certain percentage of them that actually do behave like savages. That is an undeniable fact. So before you tell me to "fix my attitude " , I would suggest you fix your reading comprehension skills.

And btw, I am not as new as you think I am. I have been in this line of work for over 3 years, with another transit agency previously. I have seen and experienced many things, which have formed my views and opinions as they are right now. 

If you want to know what actually shows my character, it is the consistent yearly safe driving awards that I have received, and no preventable accidents on my record. 

21 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

He can't reach out and voice his frustrations? I know this career entails this kind of lifestyle,  but come on. He is human,  and evidently he is going through a rough patch. Wouldn't you say it is better to reach out and talk about what is bothering him rather than just bottle it up?

Nowhere did I say that all of the passengers are savages. But we all know that among the passengers that get onboard, there is a certain percentage of them that actually do behave like savages. That is an undeniable fact. So before you tell me to "fix my attitude " , I would suggest you fix your reading comprehension skills.

And btw, I am not as new as you think I am. I have been in this line of work for over 3 years, with another transit agency previously. I have seen and experienced many things, which have formed my views and opinions as they are right now. 

If you want to know what actually shows my character, it is the consistent yearly safe driving awards that I have received, and no preventable accidents on my record. 

Vent your spleen on a public forum, expect a public response.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, CJ. said:

Welcome to the world of transit and to the world of Unions.

Your schedule will get better once your seniority dictates - how long that will be or when that will be, no one knows.  If you're lucky, and you have a lot of more senior co-workers retiring or quitting, it can go quickly - if you're in that lull where everyone sticks around, then it can take a lot longer.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:49 PM, CJ. said:

pay your dues like everyone else.  I didn't get sun/mon until my 4th year.  when i got to pick sun/mon, i had to pay for the it by having a very crappy saturday work.

You and others certainly have the right to complaint.  Perhaps do some research first before applying.  I guess the newer employees never have to do the job shadowing assignment.  they give you insights on what is like to be a transit operator.  You should be grateful you are not on the Maintenace side, the senority there is even more senior.  Birchmount is not bad in terms of senority, you go to Malvern or Mcnicol or Queensways, you won't see weekends for years 

19 years in, I’ve got days at malvern, but weekends off is still just out of reach. I’d have to wake up at 5 am and commute to Hillcrest for that.

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

You should be grateful you are not on the Maintenace side, the senority there is even more senior.  Birchmount is not bad in terms of senority, you go to Malvern or Mcnicol or Queensways, you won't see weekends for years