Jump to content

TTC Application Process


ericgu22
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I always admire when an op is wearing a tie. Very classy and professional!

I also admire proper dress and deportment. I think many transit agencies have gone to far in the casual direction. I understand the need to be comfortable, but you are also representing a transportation department, and having a proper uniform does command more respect than wearing something akin to an unmade bed. At least ditch the ball caps (or toques) and put on a tie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2022 at 2:04 PM, captaintrolley said:

I also admire proper dress and deportment. I think many transit agencies have gone to far in the casual direction. I understand the need to be comfortable, but you are also representing a transportation department, and having a proper uniform does command more respect than wearing something akin to an unmade bed. At least ditch the ball caps (or toques) and put on a tie.

I disagree with this, while I'm all for appropriate dress attire and having a respectful appearance and I despise ball caps with a passion - but we bus drivers are literally the fast food workers of the transportation industry, pretty much at the bottom of the barrel and most uniforms reflect that accordingly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 9924 said:

I disagree with this, while I'm all for appropriate dress attire and having a respectful appearance and I despise ball caps with a passion - but we bus drivers are literally the fast food workers of the transportation industry, pretty much at the bottom of the barrel and most uniforms reflect that accordingly.

I get what you're saying and I agree with you. It's just a real shame how we've strayed from looking respectful, and looking like a fast food worker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

I get what you're saying and I agree with you. It's just a real shame how we've strayed from looking respectful, and looking like a fast food worker.

Just go on a plane these days, used to be a time when people dressed respectfully but today, its flip flops and "juicy" sweats with a couple of matching Walmart bags for luggage 🙄

 

Or going shopping in PJs and Crocs - good Lord - people like that need to be banished from society.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/10/2022 at 4:31 AM, 9924 said:

Just go on a plane these days, used to be a time when people dressed respectfully but today, its flip flops and "juicy" sweats with a couple of matching Walmart bags for luggage 🙄

 

Or going shopping in PJs and Crocs - good Lord - people like that need to be banished from society.

Variety is the spice of life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Crocs and PJ bottoms outside the home are never a "spice" , they're a bane on our society and should be dealt with accordingly, cast out in an exile of shame.  

You can also add sandals/flip flops with socks, baseball caps, "beanie toques" in summer, sweat pants, belt-less pants hanging down, hoodies, Oakley's and Ed Hardy shirts to that list.

 

200.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I feel like these are two extremes of the discussion.

I see people wearing PJ bottoms and crocs (not usually together) at my workplace all the time and it never fails to amaze me how astoundingly trashy of a look it is. I always appreciate seeing a customer come in who is well dressed, because good looking dress and manners are both things that most retail customers have thrown out many years ago.

On the flipside though I feel like bus drivers wearing ties is overkill, especially in the summer time and especially if their profession requires them to perform minor maintenance duties in the event of a failure on the road, like resetting doors that fell out of their rail, having to fumble around in the engine compartment, or coupling dead rolling stock together. I don't object to seeing business casual or even a simple polo shirt. There are a lot of ways someone could appear not homeless.

image.thumb.png.9449b547d3e92b6be9dce97736a29668.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 9924 said:

Crocs and PJ bottoms outside the home are never a "spice" , they're a bane on our society and should be dealt with accordingly, cast out in an exile of shame.  

You can also add sandals/flip flops with socks, baseball caps, "beanie toques" in summer, sweat pants, belt-less pants hanging down, hoodies, Oakley's and Ed Hardy shirts to that list.

 

200.gif

Well, I’ve got a hip replacement on Friday, and I’ll be rocking PJs and crocs for the next two months.

Come and stop me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Well, I’ve got a hip replacement on Friday, and I’ll be rocking PJs and crocs for the next two months.

Come and stop me.

First of all, no one "rocks" PJs and Crocs - that is simply nonviable.

Second, relax Sugarbear, not talking about major surgery, talking about socially inept individuals who's pure laziness to swap out pants or tie shoes under the delusional belief that their choice is about "comfort".  Doesn't take much effort to swap out some jeans and Reeboks.  Lord only knows where else they're failing in life.

Third, forgot to add Ugg's to my list - especially while wearing shorts in the summer.  Obviously, some people still need their parents to dress them - sad really.

 

Now, on the serious side of things - I do hope your surgery goes well and just remember, the open end of the hospital gown goes towards the back - and for the love of God, don't wear Croc's with that gown

 

in-living-color-snap.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 9924 said:

First of all, no one "rocks" PJs and Crocs - that is simply nonviable.

Second, relax Sugarbear, not talking about major surgery, talking about socially inept individuals who's pure laziness to swap out pants or tie shoes under the delusional belief that their choice is about "comfort".  Doesn't take much effort to swap out some jeans and Reeboks.  Lord only knows where else they're failing in life.

Third, forgot to add Ugg's to my list - especially while wearing shorts in the summer.  Obviously, some people still need their parents to dress them - sad really.

 

Now, on the serious side of things - I do hope your surgery goes well and just remember, the open end of the hospital gown goes towards the back - and for the love of God, don't wear Croc's with that gown

 

in-living-color-snap.gif

Okay, deal. 🙄

66D88E2C-F924-4956-A091-00C91F5C9F91.thumb.jpeg.d93134d87679d15f69dcdad33fb0bd57.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow - if ties and ballcaps elicit such strong responses, what would a discussion of summer shorts bring? 😬

There's nothing wrong IMO with polo shirts being part of a transit uniform - they are widely accepted in the business world for sales representation and customer service at all levels, not just fast food.  And why the hate on ballcaps?  I wear one all the time in my personal life and enjoy the opportunity to include one as part of my uniform.  Outside of the MTA in NYC, I can't remember the last time I saw a transit operator wearing a badge, let alone a peaked cap.  

The bigger issue is employees who lack the self-respect to wear a uniform properly, but given the ongoing operator shortages in the industry I don't see transit agencies cracking down on this unless the sloppiness is at an extreme level. 

On 10/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, T3G said:

On the flipside though I feel like bus drivers wearing ties is overkill, especially in the summer time and especially if their profession requires them to perform minor maintenance duties in the event of a failure on the road, like resetting doors that fell out of their rail, having to fumble around in the engine compartment, or coupling dead rolling stock together. 

Ties have probably fallen by the wayside in public transit because a proper tie is a safety hazard (strangulation or crash risk if someone grabs it).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Wow - if ties and ballcaps elicit such strong responses, what would a discussion of summer shorts bring? 😬

There's nothing wrong IMO with polo shirts being part of a transit uniform - they are widely accepted in the business world for sales representation and customer service at all levels, not just fast food.  And why the hate on ballcaps?  I wear one all the time in my personal life and enjoy the opportunity to include one as part of my uniform.  Outside of the MTA in NYC, I can't remember the last time I saw a transit operator wearing a badge, let alone a peaked cap.  

The bigger issue is employees who lack the self-respect to wear a uniform properly, but given the ongoing operator shortages in the industry I don't see transit agencies cracking down on this unless the sloppiness is at an extreme level. 

Ties have probably fallen by the wayside in public transit because a proper tie is a safety hazard (strangulation or crash risk if someone grabs it).

Nothing wrong with shorts, just those who wear shorts over top a pair of base layer pants - looks just as bad as gramps with his socks and sandals.  Make up your mind, do you want to wear shorts or long pants?  Pick one and be done with it - yeesh.

Ballcaps are cool - when you're eight years old.  As an adult, they're cringe.

As far as ties in the bus industry goes, as drivers, like I said, we're the fast food worker level of the industry, where a tie simply cheapens our already low command of respect.  As far as safety goes, most ties over the last 50-60 years issued are clip-on's for those very reasons.  I refuse to wear a clip-on tie, I need to preserve the little bit of self respect I have left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

It has me wondering, the TTC 10 month probation, does it start on day 1 of training at OTC? Or does it start after successfully completing the day 25 test and officially being handed over to the assigned division?

Training doesn't count. 10 months probation starts on your first day at your assigned division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2022 at 1:29 AM, Gluttonous mofo said:

This says nothing about whether training is included lol.

You are not in service during training. The wording is “Ten months of continuous service with the TTC”

that’s why if you’re new (it’s the same with all agencies) and you pause your employment for whatever reason, your probation stops and starts on your leave/return. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone experienced their application status says in progress but the next step section says not translated in selected language? I can see that someone has looked at my application yesterday. So far I have completed the wonderlic test. Thanks in advance! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 4:41 PM, av2002 said:

Has anyone experienced their application status says in progress but the next step section says not translated in selected language? I can see that someone has looked at my application yesterday. So far I have completed the wonderlic test. Thanks in advance! 

I am at the end of the paperwork and all of that just waiting for a training start date and it still says the exact same thing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 4:41 PM, av2002 said:

Has anyone experienced their application status says in progress but the next step section says not translated in selected language? I can see that someone has looked at my application yesterday. So far I have completed the wonderlic test. Thanks in advance! 

Did you get a call for a phone interview after that ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/25/2022 at 7:49 PM, ZümmyZüm said:

You are not in service during training. The wording is “Ten months of continuous service with the TTC”

that’s why if you’re new (it’s the same with all agencies) and you pause your employment for whatever reason, your probation stops and starts on your leave/return. 

Literally everyone I've asked has told me 10 months from training date but ok lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In regards to probation periods, its all in how the collective agreement is worded.  For example, where I work, new hires are on probation for "X" number of days of actual work which means not in training.  While you are in training, you are still on a probation period but those days are in addition to the "X" number days of actual work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, 9924 said:

In regards to probation periods, its all in how the collective agreement is worded.  For example, where I work, new hires are on probation for "X" number of days of actual work which means not in training.  While you are in training, you are still on a probation period but those days are in addition to the "X" number days of actual work.

Lol I know for a fact it's 10 months from training date. That's why our seniority is based on first day of training. Smh done with this 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...