CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

20 minutes ago, DarkKeyo said:

Do most places have this many issues with new trains, or is it because Calgary keeps buying questionable trains from Siemens? 

We are the first city receive S200s. Although alot of the design and functionality is from that of the S70, It was a completely customized order from scratch...

Not to mention, the desire of having commissioning time in calgary reduced from the average 14 days to 6 days from when they arrive...

Certainly you can understand and respect some of the challenges that come with that...

There certainly are setbacks but there is some shared responsibility. Remember, 2401, 2402 and 2403 were shipped before it could they coupled in sacramento...which is where alot of these problems come from. They could never test communication issues before they were shipped...

You can blame whoever you desire for the decision to ship them...

I'm no expert, but as a transit customer it's hard for me to say I approve of this rush to get these cars delivered and commissioned. I'd rather wait a little longer for cars that I can trust to get me to work/school on time, than have early delivery of cars that I can't trust. 

These trains are truly a work of art. The interiors are amazing and everything fits nice and true. I've got to commend the people that worked hard that have produced this vehicle.

I've driven 2403 and by far it's the smoothest train I've ever driven. It drove like a souped up series 5 that accelerates quick and smooth and stopped on a dime. Setting up the trouncer is simple and the safety features on this car are great and easy to use. The cameras are HD and provide excellent vision for the operator. The coolest feature on these cars is the"cruise control" if used properly it will provide a consistent speed and smooth drive for the passengers. 

Patience is definitely a virtue. Siemens is working there asses off on this thing and working almost 24 hours a day on them perfecting the product.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LRT said:

These trains are truly a work of art. The interiors are amazing and everything fits nice and true. I've got to commend the people that worked hard that have produced this vehicle.

I've driven 2403 and by far it's the smoothest train I've ever driven. It drove like a souped up series 5 that accelerates quick and smooth and stopped on a dime. Setting up the trouncer is simple and the safety features on this car are great and easy to use. The cameras are HD and provide excellent vision for the operator. The coolest feature on these cars is the"cruise control" if used properly it will provide a consistent speed and smooth drive for the passengers. 

Patience is definitely a virtue. Siemens is working there asses off on this thing and working almost 24 hours a day on them perfecting the product.

Oh so that is why 2403 has already been retired, knew something catastrophic had happened to it :D.

But seriously when you drove it was it by itself or was it in a consist?

20 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

Do most places have this many issues with new trains, or is it because Calgary keeps buying questionable trains from Siemens? 

Teething issues are pretty common with new equipment. Toronto has certainly dealt with its own fair share of equipment suffering from issues when entering service. But in most cases, everything sorts itself out in due course and the equipment becomes reliable for the majority of its lifespan.

Dan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D40LF said:

Oh so that is why 2403 has already been retired, knew something catastrophic had happened to it :D.

Only siemens reps have drivena multi car consist so far.

9 hours ago, D40LF said:

Haha...no it was by itself. 

On 2016-06-20 at 4:34 PM, 1604 said:

There are a couple shots of S200s in this video from Wired: 

Oh dang, now that train in the photo would be quite the Ctrain!

I thought this one at Haysboro was 2406 too.

I haven't heard when there going to be in service. It was supposed to be in the spring sometime but obviously it didn't happen. 

The Siemens techs are working around the clock on them though..