CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

On 5/3/2016 at 11:48 PM, LRT said:

And my favorite feature...all doors open. It's about time!

Just getting back to this... is this feature something that operators are being trained to use? As in, will we actually see trains using it in revenue service?

11 minutes ago, Nick B said:

What is the risk in using it?

During my orientation we were told during hockey games/stampede concerts...ect. 

I was playing with 2403 the other day and tried that function, it's very cool. Doors will remain open for a minimum 18 seconds and then they all close unless the operator chooses to keep the doors open longer.

To be honest I don't feel I received a proper orientation. It was like "well this is the new train. Read this. Ok let's go drive it." It felt rushed and we didn't go through the features as well as I thought we could of. I really want to spend more time on it some time soon. It's been almost a few months since I drove one..

• Like 2

If a mistake is made the operator will quickly switch the door selector and ALL DOORS will be opened momentarily untill the other set of doors close. But wait! We are all supposed to be professional operators and that's not suppose to happen....

• Like 2

It seems to be an option that's up to the motorman in Edmonton if they use it or not. Granted, Edmonton doesn't have any side loading platforms that require operators to switch back and forth between door banks during a trip.

Frankly, I'm almost a little surprised given the apparent technology on the cars, that something isn't incorporated into the cars that could either automatically choose the correct side for the doors, or, at least provide a safety in case the motorman has the wrong side selected. 

5 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Frankly, I'm almost a little surprised given the apparent technology on the cars, that something isn't incorporated into the cars that could either automatically choose the correct side for the doors, or, at least provide a safety in case the motorman has the wrong side selected. 

Of course that kind of technology exists, but its also most frequently tied in with things like ATO/ATC or cab signalling systems with wayside beacons. It is very hard to do this correctly without relying on fixed devices trackside.

Dan

From a pure technology perspective there are plenty of ways to autonomously know or sense where the platform and different levels of automation or information to an operator.  Automation could remove the operator altogether, it's probably just cheaper to train and pay operators than go with automation.  It's just a matter of whether it's a priority and whether the benefit is worth the cost, ie if the risk justifies the cost to mitigate.  If the risk is low, it's a lot cheaper to add a bullet point to a training manual than design, build, integrate and test a new control system.

43 minutes ago, LRT said:

A bit off topic but...

There was an incident on the Vancouver Sky Train that the doors opened while the train was in motion. 

It's on YouTube somewhere...

There's been incidents in Toronto too, and likely many other cities. It's not supposed to happen, but the safety systems can be bypassed if the protocols are not followed.

It would honestly surprise me if it hadn't happened in Calgary already.

Dan

1 hour ago, LRT said:

A bit off topic but...

There was an incident on the Vancouver Sky Train that the doors opened while the train was in motion. 

It's on YouTube somewhere...

I found an article on it.  Apparently the doors only opened a few cm while the train was emergency braking, not fully open while moving.  The article explained the train lost communication and went into emergency braking and because the doors are designed to deal with things stuck in them the door moved a bit due to the momentum during braking.  The article said it was within the intended design limits.  Not quite the same as the doors fully opening.  Passengers trying to pry doors open seems to be a more common problem.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2014/04/23/translink-investigates-open-skytrain-door

Having traveled by train in India and Turkey I have been on trains that the doors never closed at all.

12 hours ago, LRT said:

If a mistake is made the operator will quickly switch the door selector and ALL DOORS will be opened momentarily untill the other set of doors close. But wait! We are all supposed to be professional operators and that's not suppose to happen....

We are also human and mistakes are made.

A similar incident happened on the Toronto subway about a month ago, though that was human error on behalf of the train crew (crew isolated a faulty door, but failed to place it into the closed position). Honestly, regardless of what the initial cause is, I would say there is quite a dangerous common design flaw visible in both cases here. There should be a failsafe mechanical interlock that doesn't allow the train to move if any one of the doors is not in the fully closed position, under any circumstance. 

It's quite funny how passengers are just laughing in that video as if it was no big deal. I would have been highly concerned, especially given how high above the ground that train was running.

50 minutes ago, Nick B said:

A similar incident happened on the Toronto subway about a month ago, though that was human error on behalf of the train crew (crew isolated a faulty door, but failed to place it into the closed position). Honestly, regardless of what the initial cause is, I would say there is quite a dangerous common design flaw visible in both cases here. There should be a failsafe mechanical interlock that doesn't allow the train to move if any one of the doors is not in the fully closed position, under any circumstance. 

It's quite funny how passengers are just laughing in that video as if it was no big deal. I would have been highly concerned, especially given how high above the ground that train was running.

But the problem is once a door is isolated it isn't part of the system anymore. When I first started I heard a call from a new operator who couldn't get her D40LF to move as the rear door was stuck open. I had an MCI and was heading back to the garage so offered to do a road change off. Gave her my bus and after she thanked me for waiting for the assistance that was on its way I isolated the door and drove off. I have to admit that the look on her face was priceless as she saw me drive past her!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nick B said:

I can see a use case both ways.  Obviously a state where the doors are open and the train is moving while carrying passengers is bad, there is probably a use case, as D40LF points out to override some sort of interlock to run out of service.  What's worse, a train stuck on the tracks that won't move because of a broken or malfunctioning door or the risk of human error in an exceptional circumstance or the cost or designing for all possible scenarios including the extremely unlikely ones and re-designing/retro-fitting after other scenarios occur?  That's the challenge for designers/engineers. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nick B said:

Reporting live from Tuscany station. 4 car train of S200's on the tail track at the time of this post (08:55), looks like it's about to enter revenue service. Press on location. 

Send us some pics! ;)

Pics along with HD video will be posted when I get home! I'm currently on #2402 (second car from the south end) entering downtown from the northwest at 09:48 for those interested in catching it. Amazing ride quality! Very smooth acceleration and stopping at stations (no more of that jerk that the SD160's make as the friction brakes kick in right before coming to a stop). Very quiet also, with little HVAC noise to overpower the sweet propulsion sound! 

So far I am finding all the seats quite comfortable, especially the transverse seats at the car end! They are certainly better to sit on than they may seem at first sight. Seats are textured to be slip resistant too, which is a huge improvement from the Series 8's (#2333 in particular). 

• Like 1

And here is our new "Mask" C-Train! Rode it from Tuscany to Somerset-Bridlewood and I must say I am very impressed. The amount of improvement over the SD160's is immense, and these cars were totally worth the long wait! I am definitely looking forward to riding these to work and school every day.

Arriving at Tuscany station to excited onlookers (myself being one of them):

28006293922_9001372270_m.jpgIMG_1971 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

27828694440_b44957d679_m.jpgIMG_1974 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

#2401's operator's cab:

28031384111_9e701b5c86_m.jpgIMG_1976 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

#2401's interior:

28108862455_b4fb18174b_m.jpgIMG_1979 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

Nenshi and Co. standing next to #2401 (it was a pleasure for me to finally meet him in person):

27494061073_cdb95541c2_m.jpgIMG_1988 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

Infotainment display showing progressive station information. The analog clock is a cool touch also! I like it, though it would have been better if the line actually stopped at the terminus station instead of continuing and showing non-existent stations.

28075011716_7fe96d7983_m.jpgIMG_2017 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

#2402's interior:

28031345511_bced3ddc5d_m.jpgIMG_2022 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

One of #2402's doors. The doors open very smoothly and quietly, another improvement over the SD160's. As previously mentioned, door buttons repeatedly flash red when they are pressed when the door is locked. A little bit of a delay in unlocking the doors after stopping at stations, which I'm sure will be rectified eventually as the same thing was visible when the Series 8's were new.

28031331031_59e43c0eaf_m.jpgIMG_2024 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

#2401 at Somerset:

27494219264_c574d61a49_m.jpgIMG_2025 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

Don't the Series 8's just look so boring now compared to the S200's?

28031300271_bb7547675c_m.jpgIMG_2026 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

#2404:

28031288711_f33cb70286_m.jpgIMG_2029 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

#2403:

28074904766_8b203e6863_m.jpgIMG_2030 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

#2402:

27494188634_482af2f71c_m.jpgIMG_2032 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

Took one last photo before it departed:

28006180372_16eaa4bbb6_m.jpgIMG_2034 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

And of course, I got plenty of obligatory video footage which will be uploaded later today! 

8 minutes ago, LRT said:

You don't find the side mounted seating diggs into your spine?

Perfect let us know where and when it breaks down!

I still did find that quite noticeable and annoying as I was sitting in the side facing seats, but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. The seating is fairly similar to that of New York's newer subway cars and is still far better than that of #2333. I am extremely impressed by the non-slip surfaces of the seats also. 

• Like 4

We had a training car breakdown yesterday, so I was wondering if they are going to run a 4 car train

Excellent pictures I'm glad you enjoyed the new train I can't wait to drive it this week

• Like 1