Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

7 minutes ago, FL04DIFN said:

With STC losing the R1 for weekdays, could this mean that weekends and holidays the R1 exclusively uses non-rapid 15000s?

Or will STC keep some rapidbuses

I think STC will still have some rapid buses, they may give away their 15000s tho as the 323 could use Rapid buses as well

37 minutes ago, FL04DIFN said:

With STC losing the R1 for weekdays, could this mean that weekends and holidays the R1 exclusively uses non-rapid 15000s?

Or will STC keep some rapidbuses

STC loses around 7 blocks to Poco, roughly 6 PM and 1AM. They'll keep some Rapidbus but they'll probably send half of the fleet away. They could maybe gain more regular artics for the 323 depending on the blocks on that route.

5 minutes ago, 96 Blader Line said:

STC loses around 7 blocks to Poco, roughly 6 PM and 1AM. They'll keep some Rapidbus but they'll probably send half of the fleet away. They could maybe gain more regular artics for the 323 depending on the blocks on that route.

9 buses R1 on sat, 8 on Sunday. They can give up 10 RapidBus of their current 19 and can always run 15000 on R1 no problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Transitfan2022 said:

That defeats the whole purpose of Rapid bus

It’s no different than seeing DE60LFRs on the R2 & R5 or D60LFRs on the R3. Even on day one of RapidBus launch there were non-RB units operating RB routes. The RapidBus branding itself is misleading anyway. Originally, TransLink referred to RapidBus as their version of “BRT” in one of their South of Fraser documents, now they’re backtracking and saying RapidBus is not “Bus Rapid Transit” despite having two of those three words in the brand name.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 96 Blader Line said:

They can't keep it always consistent, yes Rapidbuses may be prioritized but they can use any bus if needed.

Even then, the book out guys are more prioritizing vehicle type over branded vehicles, hence why you’ll sometimes see the odd 2015/16 XDE60 on the R2 or R5 while the 44, 99 or 257 gets a RapidBus unit or two

• Like 2

Why cant translink just have R1 and R6 interline so that they dont need runs from Poco R1 and R6 are about same distance in kms of route and give surrey maybe 4 more 60feet buses which may balance the route as it interline .

1 hour ago, dre said:

Why cant translink just have R1 and R6 interline so that they dont need runs from Poco R1 and R6 are about same distance in kms of route and give surrey maybe 4 more 60feet buses which may balance the route as it interline .

STC doesn’t have space for the R6 and I’m pretty sure HTC doesn’t have space for the R1.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dre said:

its not matter of space so much r6 from to newton then coutinues to guildford that way there is no poco buses

It... is a matter of space? HTC has no additional capacity for the R1, and STC can't take either with the 323 being upgraded to artics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dre said:

its not matter of space so much r6 from to newton then coutinues to guildford that way there is no poco buses

Would be nice, r1 also should go right to white rock as an extension by now, 531 is pretty busy sometimes could use r7 langley/white rock rapidbus with just a few extra artics. Have them interline with eachother. 

If bct just shared the contracted 66 route, having compass AND UMO, sharing the farebox. They could use the rapidbus artics, double Deckers and Nova buses also on 555. Once over the port mann isn't that Fraser Valley (Surrey technically isn't but Delta Langley etc is) 

Means they can interline the r1/r6/r7(if created) along port mann

I went far and beyond. Enough with my thoughts most of this won't happen lol 

47 minutes ago, dre said:

the r1 would nt move to hamilton  the r6 bus from scott road station to newton would just interline and switch to do the r1 and r1 at newton switch and do the r6 .

Surrey has no more space for the R1 with routes moving to articulated as of the January sheet. R1 is also slated to be extended to White Rock, eventually, and you wouldn't be reducing deadheading much either. HTC is about the same distance to Scott Rd/Newton as PTC is from Guildford.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was mentioned before already but Canada Line train 120/220 has had the previously removed seats reinstalled (back to 44 seats per car from 34). Anyone know when this happened?

Photo added as evidence for 220, but 120 and 119/219 are the same.

Edit: 119/219 is also reverted to 44 seats per car.

PXL_20231227_233907093.jpg

I had the chance to drive in the bus lanes on Scott rd between 84 Ave and Scottsdale while doing the 301 on Boxing Day, here are my thoughts...

The bus lane is rather narrow; they basically widened the road at several points and then squeezed a third lane in each direction, resulting in the lanes being more narrow. I was swiping tree branches with the double-decker bus in the bus lane. With that, the bus lane is only effective if the traffic in the left lane(s) is positioned in their lanes correctly and not drifting into the right lane. There's potential for buses to make contact with fixed objects and lose their side mirrors.

The speed limit is 60km/h; with narrow lanes, lots of fixed objects, and lights, I would not dare go that fast in the bus lane unless there is no traffic in the left lane, little pedestrian traffic, and I'm sure of the timing of the lights. Otherwise, maybe 50km/h on a good day.

• Like 2

There seems to be a mixup between the PR team and CMBC scheduling regarding the start of the R6. Promotional PR material says the start date is January 2, the CMBC sheets mention January 1.

I would believe the latter takes precedence.

They were never explicit about a soft launch or anything (still incorrect regardless)

not surprised.