Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

3 hours ago, Orcair said:

Per Mayor's Council, "in April, the launch of a new limited stop, peak-only service, 80 River District/Marine Drive Station, is planned."

Source:  https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/about-translink/governance-and-board/council-minutes-and-reports/2023/january/agenda_mayors_council_public_meeting_jan_2023.pdf

The same file seems to confirm the destinations of the Richmond-Expo Line RapidBus: Richmond Centre and Metrotown Station. Previously there had been speculation that it would terminate at 22nd instead of Metrotown. 

Some blurbs also worth mentioning:

Canada Line peak service returns (at the cost of midday trips AND SNC-Lavalin via PPP)

Changes to the Canada Line will increase peak service and reallocate off-peak services to better align service with ridership demand. These increases will be funded through a small reduction of service during the middays. Implementing this service change is subject to negotiations with the concessionaire. A fifth daily road trip on the West Coast Express will be implemented, pending the delivery of a refurbished locomotive.

Ridership:

As customers began making more transit trips, overcrowding on the bus system started to increase and has been approaching pre-COVD levels. Overcrowding is when the number of passengers on a vehicle exceed the capacity, as defined by TransLink’s Transit Service Guidelines. Overcrowding was approaching pre-COVID levels in November 2023; a large part of this is due to the unexpected pattern of ridership return in September 2022. However, service cancellations, traffic congestion and passenger surges also contribute to overcrowding.

To avoid systemic overcrowding and to better match service to demand, bus services hours have been reallocated throughout the region, with the Southeast seeing the largest increase. More than 9.5% of total bus service hours have already been reallocated to reflect changes in transit demand. We expect that service increases and reallocations made in Jan 2023 will have a large, positive impacts on overcrowding. Going forward, while we will continue to reallocate service hours to address evolving travel patterns, we expect that the April 2023 service changes represent the last opportunity to reallocate substantial amounts of service to address overcrowding. Therefore, if ridership increases more than expected in 2023 it is likely to cause more overcrowding.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Expo Line Single Tracking owing to fibre-optic work in the 22nd St-Edmonds-New West Area: Effective February 11

Expo Line Fibre Optic Work Sat Feb 11, all day. Trains will single track between Edmonds and New Westminster Stations. Platform 2 at 22 Street Station will be closed.

Frequencies are as follows:

Waterfront Station - Edmonds Station - 4 minutes

Waterfront Station - King George Station - 8 minutes

Columbia Station - Production Way - 7.5 minutes

Expo Line customers travelling to/from Surrey should allow up to an extra 20 minutes travel time all day Saturday, February 11.

Expo Line customers travelling towards or from Production Way-University Station through Columbia Station must transfer trains at Columbia Station. Please allow for extra travel time.

Trains in New Westminster and Surrey may wait longer than normal at some stations.

Service between Waterfront and Edmonds stations will operate normally.

Millennium Line and Canada Line are unaffected.

Thank you for your patience as we work to keep SkyTrain safe and reliable for years to come.

• 2 weeks later...

Effective February 27
321 Stop at WB King George at 128 Street is revised to serve PM 321 trips only (in addition to the N19)
Lynn Valley bay reassignments for 227/229

Effective March 13
562 detours via Telegraph, 216, University in both directions due to highway 1 construction.
A schedule revision is in place for March 5.

Looks like the schedule for 080 Marine Drive Express is already available on trip planning site.  Basically every 30min from 6a-9a, 3p-7p.  Trip time is 17-25min.

For other routes... the schedule for Apr 17 is already available, maybe I don't need to post them this time?

Quick summary (ok.. maybe not so quick after all):

002 - Bug cuts on all days

005, 006 - Weekday PM/Evening improvement

017, 019 - Small weekday reduction

025 - Some resource allocations from weekday to weekend

031 - AM/PM/Sat increase to 20min (from 30min)

049 - Extra service weekend afternoon

100 - Weekday peak service reduction

119 - Weekday/Sat PM reduction

123 - PM peak improvement

130 - Weekday improvement

144 - Sat midday increase to 20min (from 30min)

145 - Sat evening increase to 15min (from 20min)

147 - Weekday evening increase to 20min (from 30min); Sat midday/evening increase to 20min (from 30min); Sun mid-day increase to 20-25min (from 30min)

179* - Weekend service hours extended to 8a-8p

181*, 182* - Weekend service increase to 30min (from 60min)

186 - Sat evening increase to 20min (from 30min)

187 - PM peak improvement

211*, 212* - Weekend evening improvement

226 - No longer have service scheduled

227 - Weekend service increase to 15min (from 30min) for the full route

301 - Extra early morning trip on weekends

312 - Small peak service improvement

316 - AM peak increase to 20min (from 30min); Sun increase to 30min (from 60min)

319 - Big cut on all days

320 - Sun extra late night trip EB

321 - Weekend early morning/PM improvement

322 - Mid-day/evening/weekend increase to 20min (from 30min)

323 - Peak/weekend improvements

324 - Peak improvement

325 - Sat extra early morning trip NB

326 - AM peak increase to 20min (from 30min)

335 - Small improvements on all days

341 - Sat extra early morning trip SB

345 - Peak improvement

364 - PM peak increase to 15min (from 20min)

371 - Weekend increase to 30min (from 60min)

373 - Midday increase to 30min (from 45min); Weekend increase to 20min (from 30min)

407 - Routing change: Garden City -> Lansdowne -> Gilbert, omits Richmond Centre, transfer at Lansdowne Station Bay 2, 5

410 - Sat midday increase

430 - Weekend PM increase to 15min (from 20min)

501 - Some resource allocations from SB to NB

502 - Sun PM improvement

503 - Small weekday reduction

R1 - Small improvements on all days

R4 - Weekend improvements

R5 - Afternoon/evening reduction on all days

Plus the usual seasonal university and summer changes

* These seasonal increase began on June sheet last year

Really hard to keep up as TransLink is making huge changes every sheet... especially they cut service to a route on one sheet, then add some of them back on the next one...

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, nname said:

Looks like the schedule for 080 Marine Drive Express is already available on trip planning site.  Basically every 30min from 6a-9a, 3p-7p.  Trip time is 17-25min.

For other routes... the schedule for Apr 17 is already available, maybe I don't need to post them this time?

For the 80, the runs are in line group 084. Two runs in the morning, two in the PM, all VTC.

Schedule may be changing but there are going to be big changes when it comes to operations. As far as I know the 640 is going to be transferred to RTC (at least the weekday operations).

=========

Also hearing HTC will be taking over portions of the 319 (from what’s going around it sounds like it’s the peak trippers).
=========
Next thing I'm hearing is 180 will be upgraded to conventional at least for all weekday trips.

10 hours ago, nname said:

Quick summary (ok.. maybe not so quick after all):

002 - Bug cuts on all days

005, 006 - Weekday PM/Evening improvement

017, 019 - Small weekday reduction

025 - Some resource allocations from weekday to weekend

031 - AM/PM/Sat increase to 20min (from 30min)

049 - Extra service weekend afternoon

100 - Weekday peak service reduction

119 - Weekday/Sat PM reduction

123 - PM peak improvement

130 - Weekday improvement

144 - Sat midday increase to 20min (from 30min)

145 - Sat evening increase to 15min (from 20min)

147 - Weekday evening increase to 20min (from 30min); Sat midday/evening increase to 20min (from 30min); Sun mid-day increase to 20-25min (from 30min)

179* - Weekend service hours extended to 8a-8p

181*, 182* - Weekend service increase to 30min (from 60min)

186 - Sat evening increase to 20min (from 30min)

187 - PM peak improvement

211*, 212* - Weekend evening improvement

226 - No longer have service scheduled

227 - Weekend service increase to 15min (from 30min) for the full route

301 - Extra early morning trip on weekends

312 - Small peak service improvement

316 - AM peak increase to 20min (from 30min); Sun increase to 30min (from 60min)

319 - Big cut on all days

320 - Sun extra late night trip EB

321 - Weekend early morning/PM improvement

322 - Mid-day/evening/weekend increase to 20min (from 30min)

323 - Peak/weekend improvements

324 - Peak improvement

325 - Sat extra early morning trip NB

326 - AM peak increase to 20min (from 30min)

335 - Small improvements on all days

341 - Sat extra early morning trip SB

345 - Peak improvement

364 - PM peak increase to 15min (from 20min)

371 - Weekend increase to 30min (from 60min)

373 - Midday increase to 30min (from 45min); Weekend increase to 20min (from 30min)

407 - Routing change: Garden City -> Lansdowne -> Gilbert, omits Richmond Centre, transfer at Lansdowne Station Bay 2, 5

410 - Sat midday increase

430 - Weekend PM increase to 15min (from 20min)

501 - Some resource allocations from SB to NB

502 - Sun PM improvement

503 - Small weekday reduction

R1 - Small improvements on all days

R4 - Weekend improvements

R5 - Afternoon/evening reduction on all days

Plus the usual seasonal university and summer changes

* These seasonal increase began on June sheet last year

Really hard to keep up as TransLink is making huge changes every sheet... especially they cut service to a route on one sheet, then add some of them back on the next one...

Where is the trip planning site?

5 hours ago, Express691 said:

Quick read on the R6 now states that the stop at 128th now reads 126th-KPU.

Pretty sure this is done for wayfinding, though.

https://www.translink.ca/plans-and-projects/projects/bus-projects/r6-scott-road-rapidbus

OK now I'm very curious about this ?

The planning and consultation docs indicated that R6 would stop at a location that is west of 128 St, but clearly east of 126 St. I was very satisfied with this and I imagine so were people at KPU and the KSA. I also imagined that the two existing stops would be consolidated and that 319 and 301 would also stop there.

Perhaps the new crossing and bus stop infra will not be ready in time for R6 launch?

5 hours ago, Express691 said:

Quick read on the R6 now states that the stop at 128th now reads 126th-KPU.

Pretty sure this is done for wayfinding, though.

https://www.translink.ca/plans-and-projects/projects/bus-projects/r6-scott-road-rapidbus

The location on the route map has also changed since the initial consultation.

• Like 1

Overview of Newton Exchange upgrades being done to the layover area:

as far as I’m aware, the idea is to have it similar to Guildford: there will be an actual break room facility with parking for buses. The old culdesac has been removed and there is a temporary parking setup for buses.

8FB9C56A-97EE-4EDE-8DE9-2E475F25CD6E.thumb.jpeg.ae5f7e9352f0948b00a4c5bf5a368f75.jpeg

15 hours ago, Express691 said:

Overview of Newton Exchange upgrades being done to the layover area:

as far as I’m aware, the idea is to have it similar to Guildford: there will be an actual break room facility with parking for buses. The old culdesac has been removed and there is a temporary parking setup for buses.

8FB9C56A-97EE-4EDE-8DE9-2E475F25CD6E.thumb.jpeg.ae5f7e9352f0948b00a4c5bf5a368f75.jpeg

I know that this site was expected to be the new location of the bus exchange (even before SNG LRT; and then when that came along, it was to be the SNG terminus station), but I guess TL has decided that stops and passenger exchange will be mostly kept to the current location.

I am curious though if there will be any new turn-offs from KGB into and out of the layover facility, and ability to run through. If in-service buses could go through the area and onto KGB (such as R1 leaving Newton Exch going north, or 321/394 going south) seems like it'd save time over current exit routes.

3 minutes ago, neopasturquoise said:

Whoever made this map needs to check their work!

BRIDGEPORT: I guess effective April 10 all buses going to Brighouse station will be sent over to Bridgeport!

And last time I checked there was no LANDSDOWNE Road. Not to mention, the 405 is missing from Knight/Marine terminus.

I’m hearing that CMBC’s contract is up next month. I’m not saying expect any labour action yet, but from what I’ve heard the drivers need a bit better than this “guaranteed 45-minute recovery time” they got three years ago because it sounds like some drivers are doing entire round trips and then some with no breaks just to end up with a longer 20-30 minute break, particularly during the weekdays.