Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

6 hours ago, Express691 said:

But what's the argument strictly from a political view? I'd like to believe this is internalized and we may never know.

Not surprised however - there are/were a few instances of rumors that involve threatening from politicians/activists (from what I know)

Maple Ridge saying “give us more frequent/rapid transit now or we say no to any Mayors Council plans” seems like the obvious political stance to me.

I genuinely hate politics, but that seems like the most logical reason as to why the R3 got bumped up to Phase 1 of the 10-Year Plan rather than the original planned Phase 3 implementation. We all know Scott Road, Victoria Drive, or Willingdon Avenue should’ve gotten the RapidBus way before Lougheed Highway.

3 hours ago, ephrex said:

The direction was definitely a correct one, albeit years too early. The decision to keep both at FTN levels ensures that overall ridership doesn't tank. Reducing the R3 to any less than 15 minutes will just set it back several years to get to the point where 15 min service is justified over current.

The RapidBus will be necessary, it just isn’t necessary now (in my eyes at least). 10-minute peak frequency with primarily articulated buses on the 701 makes way more sense than the R3 that only makes one stop in Pitt Meadows and three stops in Maple Ridge. How much would R3 ridership (and overall Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows) tank if twice the people are still taking the 701 (which primarily runs with standard 40-footers than articulated 60-footers) than the R3? That just tells me that the 701 is used more given the overall routing.

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

In my mind it would have been the same regardless had the 2020 ridership drop not occured, yeah

I think the planners figured that as well, which is why they temporarily axed the R3 and left the 701 and the other RapidBus routes running.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I said -- it would've been the correct thing to do a few years down the road, and it's ahead of its time.

That said, the point is, now that it's in already, if you took resources out of the R3 and gave it to the 701, the R3 essentially becomes a dead service (as no one would go out of their way for an express where the time savings don't even outweigh the longer wait time), you may as well revert to a 701-only schedule, and you defeat the entire point of implementing it. And we all know that there's very little chance the plug gets pulled on that.

• Like 4

7 bike racks inside the bike bus - so it'll be able to carry 9.  Glad I don't use the bus while riding my bike - the way my luck is, I'd be bike number 10 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://buzzer.translink.ca/2022/06/cycle-into-summer-with-translinks-new-bike-bus/

13 hours ago, 9924 said:

7 bike racks inside the bike bus - so it'll be able to carry 9.  Glad I don't use the bus while riding my bike - the way my luck is, I'd be bike number 10 🤣

Or #14 or even 16 depending on the schedule... haha

In any case bikes are still encouraged on route 620...

Just reminds me of that one summer afternoon where there were 30 bikes off a Nanaimo Ferry at Horseshoe Bay.

===========

Because some people were confused about the layout: it's officially 7 bikes inside, 2 outside, and 18 seats: 17 in the upper gallery and 1 in the jump seat area.

===========
https://www.translink.ca/-/media/translink/documents/about-translink/governance-and-board/council-minutes-and-reports/2022/june/attachment-2-transport-2050-10-year-priorities-for-translink.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1dgjp5LPyAbKheLsie8qAgJaMBG5Esb80ORhXTFoq-_jlpupxEpinIP2g

Transport2050 10-year priorities are out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Express691 said:

“King Edward Overlay” and “Central Royal Oak”… what the hell does that mean? Are they going to split the 25 in two at Nanaimo and extend the 148 to Metrotown?

E 1st Ave will probably be a 20-30 minute shuttle service running between Main Street and Brentwood.

”Park Royal/Edgemont/Lynn Valley” will most likely be the 30-minute shuttle route along Queens/29th St that was proposed like a decade ago in the North Shore Area Transport Plan.

Is there a difference between “Major Transit Network” and the duplicate “RapidBus” routes?

Those Lions Gate RapidBus routes are going to be slow as hell during peak times.

5 hours ago, Transit Guy said:

“King Edward Overlay” and “Central Royal Oak”… what the hell does that mean? Are they going to split the 25 in two at Nanaimo and extend the 148 to Metrotown?

My guess for "King Edward Overlay" would be a peak hour express route similar to the 222 or the 43.

For Royal Oak , there is a gap in N-S service east of Willingdon, so extending the 148 or adding a new route to run along Royal Oak Ave north of the Skytrain would fill in some holes in the Burnaby transit network.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Michael Marriott said:

My guess for "King Edward Overlay" would be a peak hour express route similar to the 222 or the 43.

For Royal Oak , there is a gap in N-S service east of Willingdon, so extending the 148 or adding a new route to run along Royal Oak Ave north of the Skytrain would fill in some holes in the Burnaby transit network.

Your thoughts for the King Edward overlay makes more sense than mine.

There’s also a gap in local service between Patterson and Metrotown, which has quite a bit of redevelopment potential, so hopefully they’ll extend the 129 to Metrotown as well, but I think the Royal Oak-Metrotown connector would make the most sense with the 148.

A lot of the new and improved services are from various area transit plans, or already scheduled at one point before Translink changed their mind, disconsintued service, or being rejected due to consultation... Surprised they're bringing back some planned routes from the old plan that no longer exist in the new version

Park Royal/Edgemount/Lynn - Northshore ATP

Harbourside - 231/Northshore ATP

Stanley Park - 52??

1st Ave - Vancouver ATP

Terra Nova - OLD Richmond ATP

Blundell - New Southwest ATP

Centennial Beach - C89

Sunshine Hill - C77/SOF ATP/Southwest ATP

68th Avenue - 368/2019 Transit Network Review

East Newton North - I remember there was an old route there, was it the 343 or 344?

East Fraser Heights - 338/2019 Transit Network Review

Albion - 745,746/Pitt-Meadows Maple Ridge ATP

Golden Ears - OLD Pitt-Meadows Maple Ridge ATP

Schoolhouse/Chilko - Northeast ATP

Belcarra - C25B/Northeast ATP

• Like 1

I’m curious to see what they’ll do for transit services connecting the First Nations reserves that currently have no transit services. I’m assuming most of those areas would get On-Demand service at some point, but Barnston Island seems to be the least-accessible area in terms of implementing a transit service. I also like the idea of finally seeing some more routes connecting to regional parks.

At the conclusion of STC operations and whalley Blvd. detours, 394 no longer serves bay 3 at King George Station.

On another note, 502 345 395 whalley boulevard detours are over. 

Fraser highway is closed again, but this time it's the full length through green timbers. all buses route via KG, 96, 148 until October. This pushes the current 502 EB route, routing via Whalley, Fraser, King George, 96, 148th to Fraser. My guess is they want to consolidate all EB 502/503 service along a single detour while having the 502 return to the regular King George Bay 3 routing.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-beedie-fraser-mills-coquitlam-bus-route

New shuttle route combined with the 159 will create FTN service between Braid Station and Fraser Mills redevelopment site.

Not sure if anyone posted the latest Phibbs Exchange upgrade renderings:

https://www.delta-optimist.com/bc-news/big-changes-coming-to-north-vans-phibbs-exchange-bus-loop-5523967

Work is anticipated to finally start this fall and finish sometime in spring 2024.

Due to construction the 640 has a shuttle operation in the Alex Fraser Bridge area. 

Simply put it's a 314 that goes  River to Swenson Way and back to Brooke. 

640 goes Brooke, Nordel, BC91 connector, reg route.

Shuttle is an HTC community shuttle bus.

Looks like they're moving Bay 1 at King George a few meters south as there was from my looks a bus stop but it wasn't ready and it had the inserts for a Rapidbus pole. Probably would be moved due to bay 1 NOW blocking cars from turning right and will be infront of a future bus stop and intersection

20220708_110404.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 4:16 PM, 96 Blader Line said:

Looks like they're moving Bay 1 at King George a few meters south as there was from my looks a bus stop but it wasn't ready and it had the inserts for a Rapidbus pole. Probably would be moved due to bay 1 NOW blocking cars from turning right and will be infront of a future bus stop and intersection

This is definitely the case. The adjacent new additional lights and crosswalk will lead directly to the KG Station exit, which as been long planned and is being built now along with the new development on the west side of KGB. The existing stop location a bit further back will presumably be converted for the 503, and I imagine bay 5 will be used for local buses (314/321/326/329).

• 3 weeks later...

From internal source (also could be available on GTFS for those who can program) 
Service changes effective Monday September 5:

Seasonal routes/extensions: Last runs for these routes will be September 5.
School stuff returns September 6

Permanent: (Source states the increase but is not explicit, however it's safe to assume 1 more bus/hour)
100 Increase layover time for Battery Electric Bus charging (specific blocks)
104 Additional Saturday AM trip
106 PM Peak increase 
116 AM and PM Peak increase
128 AM and PM Peak increase
174 Additional PM school trip*
187 Additional AM and PM school trip*
323 Additional Saturday AM trip
430 PM Peak increase
601 M-F Midday service increase
640 AM Peak increase (now for this I think it's safer to assume return of 640 Tilbury trips rather than add trips per direction).

Routes that will readjust frequency (add peak trips at the cost of off-peak/early/late trips)
R4 25 49 211

Routing changes:
28 All SB AM trips begin at Phibbs Exchange
151 discontinue Centennial PM special and renumber to 153 Coquitlam Central, extend start to Porier at King Albert
173/174/175 Formal discontinuation of McAllister routing, route via Maple, Bury, Wilson. Discontinue service along McAllister Avenue and along Mary Hill Road.

* - forgot to mention when initial post was made

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 1:33 AM, Express691 said:

From internal source (also could be available on GTFS for those who can program) 

Thanks, save me a few hours this time 😄

And no, the schedule is not yet available on GTFS or tripplanning API yet.  Only route info is available, which have no change.

• Thanks 2