Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

2 hours ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Those changes would make the transit worst some are good. The senior community shuttle seems like an ok route but I would like to see how pans out if it comes about. Why would they renumbered the 84 to 46? 

I'm confused about your post?

I've made more edits. (again)

• I've replaced the 023 community shuttle extension with a new community shuttle route that only runs between Olympic Village and VCC-Clark.
  • I've split the 019 into two routes. Not sure if the aptly-named 001 should pass by Pacific Central Station, Chinatown and Science World or if it should stop at Victory Square... for now the terminus is set as Kingsgate, where there's a trolleybus turnaround.
  • The 016's eastern half is now the 004's eastern half, while the 016 will terminate downtown. Makes sense?
  • I've also added an alternate (wires already existing) routing to the 016's extension to Marine Drive station, due to the presence of some expensive houses along the route I was originally proposing.

53 minutes ago, cleowin said:

Hey guys, this is my Burnaby/New West Transit Package. It's a bit messy, but hopefully you can follow.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AV1UHgAJjVXJP0ctbYST4J0PWno&usp=sharing

I removed the C## system and gave random route numbers. I modified existing Burnaby service to make it more straight forward.

I can't say I agree with many of the ideas...

• 12 duplicates Broadway routes and proposed Broadway SkyTrain.
  • Ideally I'd like to remove U-shapes where I can as it can confuse novice riders as to the full length of the route and the intended destinations. Impacts 26, 27 and 129.
  • 27 duplicates the 20. Boundary Road facing Central Park might not have the expected patronage.
  • The 25 appears more complicated than before; instead of simply using 22nd, Boundary, and Kincaid, it's using Rupert, 29th, Moscrop, Smith, Fir, Macdonald, Kincaid...
  • Note that 120 has to be on Boundary as bus drivers use it to go to/from BTC. And why is it squiggling around Moscrop?
  • Extending the 100 to Dunbar Loop is an idea, but the route is rather long as it is. It may make more sense to split it.
  • Diverting 100 to Marine Hwy is not recommended; no development near the route apart from the strip mall = low patronage. Separate express route is a possibility, though.

I've noticed a "Douglas" line... perhaps this can be an extension of line 375 which terminates where this proposed line begins.

Another suggestion is perhaps a limited express line along Scott Road from Scott Road Station straight down south to Panorama Ridge that would help alleviate overcrowding on line 319 & any lines south of Scottsdale.

8 hours ago, cleowin said:

Hey guys, this is my Burnaby/New West Transit Package. It's a bit messy, but hopefully you can follow.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AV1UHgAJjVXJP0ctbYST4J0PWno&usp=sharing

I removed the C## system and gave random route numbers. I modified existing Burnaby service to make it more straight forward.

Regarding the 100, there is no way to get to WB Marine drive from 20th street.  The current routing of the 100 leaving 22nd station would have to stay.

To be fair, i did this at 1 am, so ill make adjustments. I was just thinking of it as if its a blank map

9 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

I can't say I agree with many of the ideas...

• 12 duplicates Broadway routes and proposed Broadway SkyTrain.
  • Ideally I'd like to remove U-shapes where I can as it can confuse novice riders as to the full length of the route and the intended destinations. Impacts 26, 27 and 129.
  • 27 duplicates the 20. Boundary Road facing Central Park might not have the expected patronage.
  • The 25 appears more complicated than before; instead of simply using 22nd, Boundary, and Kincaid, it's using Rupert, 29th, Moscrop, Smith, Fir, Macdonald, Kincaid...
  • Note that 120 has to be on Boundary as bus drivers use it to go to/from BTC. And why is it squiggling around Moscrop?
  • Extending the 100 to Dunbar Loop is an idea, but the route is rather long as it is. It may make more sense to split it.
  • Diverting 100 to Marine Hwy is not recommended; no development near the route apart from the strip mall = low patronage. Separate express route is a possibility, though.

Again, with the 12, only until the broadway line is built. Then id shorten the 99 b-line from arbutus and remove the "12" all together

On 8/30/2016 at 8:23 PM, Opal said:

They could just switch the N10 and N15 to serve that purpose.  Have the N10 terminate at Marine Dr Stn and have the 15 go into Richmond via Marpole.  That makes more sense anyway, since the N10 is supposed to be the Canada Line's overnight route, which doesn't even connect with the N15 except downtown.

I see I'm not the only one that makes route maps for fun.  I have loads.

This is a great idea.

43 minutes ago, Opal said:

That 23 really should be a 1st Avenue route, considering it is a community shuttle route.  I understand there are road issues with peat that couldn't handle long-term use by big buses, but as far as I know, the shuttles wouldn't have a problem.

And yet, for example, highway coaches between Pacific Central and the Trans-Canada Highway use it all the time. Or is it the whole "servicing bus stops" that is the issue, that the City is worried that mere concrete pads won't be enough? In any case, doesn't the City's own Transportation Plan require it to prioritize such a re-do, in the case of a route with high transit demand but where the road structure makes it impossible to run?

20 minutes ago, Opal said:

Who knows if it'll be high demand though since there's no service now.  But I have a feeling it'll take load off of both Hastings and Broadway.  But maybe it'll just need a shuttle for its entire route, I don't know.

I can't imagine it being any less passenger demand than the #33, given the kind of built-up neighbourhoods through which it runs. You'd need conventional from the get-go.

2 hours ago, Renee said:

Yep, there's now a 98 C40LF (3299) on the 100.  Amazing day.  Wonder what they'll have out tomorrow when it's not a holiday.

How many years has it been since 3299 has been on the 100? An interesting day for transit indeed.

1 hour ago, Opal said:

I don't think it has ever been on.  It was a PTC bus as CNG, then went to RTC after they gave up their 100 trippers.

It has before the days of RTC opened and 100 used to be a PoCo route. As a child I have been on a D60 on the 100 which used to run to New West Stn.

Until the 70s it was called the 100/800 Midway Connector and ran from PoCo along the routing of the 169 New West Stn, I believe.  There were also shorter runs from New West, and I think that's what the different numbering was supposed to signify, but there is not much information available.  And that was to the airport terminal until it was split into the 424 when Airport Station opened.

4 hours ago, cleowin said:

I feel it'll be more mixed up as time goes on.

At the moment, buses are parked according to type so they are kept separate.  The only time they will be parked mixed is if they are BO or coming in after 2230.  

However, when the XN40'S arrive later this year, everything could just be mixed up.

I stand corrected on the aspect of everything getting mixed up.  Even though the buses are separated by type, they are booked out as if they were all parked together as everything is all over the place today.  Curious if weekends/holidays will be what we saw yesterday and mixed during the week or just mixed everyday.

12 hours ago, Renee said:

Until the 70s it was called the 100/800 Midway Connector and ran from PoCo along the routing of the 169 New West Stn, I believe.  There were also shorter runs from New West, and I think that's what the different numbering was supposed to signify, but there is not much information available.  And that was to the airport terminal until it was split into the 424 when Airport Station opened.

it used to run from poco out to the airport with D700 trippers from  new west to airport

• Like 1

Around lunchtime, I saw a four-bus convoy of XDE60s passing by Knight Street. The extra capacity is welcome but the road itself needs more capacity to prevent traffic snarls from bunching them up. Of course, chances that will happen with a bike-friendly and road-hostile city council are rather slim indeed....

The other option would be to convert the 43 to a B-Line ASAP... but even that corridor has some choke points. (Dunbar-Kerrisdale, Granville-Oak, Victoria-Kingsway, Kingsway-Joyce, etc.)

1 hour ago, Opal said:

3299 had never been on the 100 before, which is what was mentioned above.  3299 was in PTC until it became diesel and never operated on the 100.

C40LF's have been on the 100 along with C40's before they were stored. not sure about 3299 as I never thought of recording anything 20 years ago.