Station Refurbishments/Extensions (Outside the downtown)

mersar

Gee, in that case, get rid of the new Chinook station design... No way to get to the platform without a level crossing.

And to me, the safer way is to have the level crossing behind the train... Obviously, that's not going to work in Chinook's situation, and I'd rather they keep the south crossing due to the fact it's another way off the platform if you feel slightly uneasy with going to the north side. And if there are too many close calls, what are the stats everywhere else, like downtown, whitehorn, heritage, Southland, etc.? I'm sure once next week rolls around there are going to be plenty at McKnight-westwinds owing to many wanting to catch a bus and running in front of the northbound train.

Long story short, you can't fix stupid.

• 1 month later...

Yea there is no way that Sunnyside will be done by the end of this month. I'm guessing mid-December because they have certainly been dragging their feet with that one.

Fish Creek and Heritage look like try will be finished by the end of the year. Lol fish creek makes me shake my head, could they not foresee 4-car trains in 2001??

And I'm guessing that 39 Avenue will shut down in the Fall of 2013 after Chinook reopenes and idk about Banff Trail when it will be shut down

Yea there is no way that Sunnyside will be done by the end of this month. I'm guessing mid-December because they have certainly been dragging their feet with that one. Fish Creek and Heritage look like try will be finished by the end of the year. Lol fish creek makes me shake my head, could they not foresee 4-car trains in 2001?? And I'm guessing that 39 Avenue will shut down in the Fall of 2013 after Chinook reopenes and idk about Banff Trail when it will be shut down
Banff Trail should be done in the CFL offseason I'd imagine. So maybe November 2013 until May 2014?

Today I noticed posters at Lions Park Station about its extension. The platform will be extended to the East and will require the current level crossing of the tracks to be moved. The crosswalk on 14 Avenue NW will also be moved with it. Construction will start Spring 2013 and last ~ 6 months. During the construction, everyone will have to go to the West end of the station to get on the platform. Wheelchair ramp access will not be affected and there won't be any total station closures required.

Today I noticed posters at Lions Park Station about its extension. The platform will be extended to the East and will require the current level crossing of the tracks to be moved. The crosswalk on 14 Avenue NW will also be moved with it. Construction will start Spring 2013 and last ~ 6 months. During the construction, everyone will have to go to the West end of the station to get on the platform. Wheelchair ramp access will not be affected and there won't be any total station closures required.

Beat me to it! :)

Cgy9Yl.jpg

XVTy4l.jpg

g1N2bl.jpg

GhCfxl.jpg

Click any of the above images for full size.

Depending on what route you are driving, there are alternatives. For 91,40 there are Children's and Foothills Hospitals. 91 also has Brentwood. For 40, you also have Crowfoot. For 19, you have either Rundle or UofC (if its not locked). To the best of my knowledge, all shuttles stopped running at around 19:00 there. Sure you sacrifice some schedule time, but you gotta go when you go and late at night it's not hard to make up time.

Depending on what route you are driving, there are alternatives. For 91,40 there are Children's and Foothills Hospitals. 91 also has Brentwood. For 40, you also have Crowfoot. For 19, you have either Rundle or UofC (if its not locked). To the best of my knowledge, all shuttles stopped running at around 19:00 there. Sure you sacrifice some schedule time, but you gotta go when you go and late at night it's not hard to make up time.

For the hospitals it is a bit of a walk. But actually I was thinking of the 19, one night I needed to go and they had just locked the doors at UofC. North Hill was closed so ended up waiting till I got to Rundle. I am sure I probably missed a couple but I don't know where they all are yet.

I've been wondering if they'll have to temporarily locate the crosswalk at the west entrance, since they will be digging up the sidewalk for the new east ramp and the east crosswalk according to those pictures. Otherwise, some convoluted walking around the station would be involved to even get to the mall side. A west crosswalk would be very useful there.

I've been waiting a long time for these plans to be unveiled, they affect me more than any other platform extension work.

And, while you're asking for operator facilities, can I ask for some sort of heated shelter? There isn't any protection from the cold.

I've been wondering if they'll have to temporarily locate the crosswalk at the west entrance, since they will be digging up the sidewalk for the new east ramp and the east crosswalk according to those pictures. Otherwise, some convoluted walking around the station would be involved to even get to the mall side. A west crosswalk would be very useful there.

I've been waiting a long time for these plans to be unveiled, they affect me more than any other platform extension work.

And, while you're asking for operator facilities, can I ask for some sort of heated shelter? There isn't any protection from the cold.

It would be interesting to see what they end up doing with the crosswalk during the construction.

And yes, heated shelters at the station would be a great idea, but I don't think that's gonna happen unfortunately

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for a Ctrain ride today through all under construction stations and have the following to report.

Sunnyside appears to have the platform extensions ready to go anytime now. However, the other work that they are doing on the East side of the station is going to take a little longer. I'm guessing the platform may reopen mid-December. The stuff on the East side of the station will most likely take a little longer to finish.

Heritage looks like they still have some work to do. No lights, signs or shelters installed in the extension. I wouldn't be suprised if the construction isn't finished this year.

Fish Creek-Lacombe has the new ramps and stairs all finished but, the actual platform work appears to be even further behind than Heritage. The concrete isn't even poured yet at the end of the platform.

Also, as someone who uses Fish Creek-Lacombe to get to Fish Creek Provincial Park for nice long and peaceful walks, I really miss the easy access to the overpass

Heritage looks like they still have some work to do. No lights, signs or shelters installed in the extension. I wouldn't be suprised if the construction isn't finished this year.

I think you underestimate how long it actually takes to get these tasks done. When southland was closed for the short time during its construction, they had the signs, lights and shelters up within the last 2 days before reopening. As long as the ground work for said equipment is done on all of these, which it appears it is at heritage, its really a quick and easy task to finish off.

What is being done at Brentwood? There seem to be installing new tracks alongside the old ones?

Odd..anyone know any more about this? That would explain why 201s were single tracking through University Station this morning at least. Signage would've been nice too ;).

Odd..anyone know any more about this? That would explain why 201s were single tracking through University Station this morning at least. Signage would've been nice too ;).

Well, if you remember Brentwood well per-Dalhousie extension, there was a substation there. It's going back in as part of the 4-car traction power upgrade.