General FY Moments

Orion VIII

• 2 weeks later...

Neighbor just bought a new compact front loading washer and dryer. Because there is no agitator there is more room in the tub. I had a comforter that needed freshening up and she asked me to bring it over as she wanted to try the 'bedding settings' - my comforter being the guinea pig LOL.  Worked really well. The cycles ran longer than the machines at the laundromat, but we wiled the time away by playing some card games.

16707477.webp

• Like 1

mifa.thumb.jpeg.c05b76ce83d1e74484181a6a2b3f2c8d.jpeg

Wow, the board mulched the first picture and the handful of people taking pictures at the game aren't the greatest at photography by any stretch.

Anyways, way off in the distance there to the right of the centre, there I am doing my offensive lineman thing.  That stance is awful and I had a monster of a cramp all down my right side.  Over a year and a half of government mandated couch potato has not been kind to anybody and last night's 6v6 pre-season game for the indoor season was so full of bugs with players being rusty.  It was great getting out there and doing that again after so long though!

3 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Agreed.  It was only 6 months of no swimming for me, but even that left me in knots so bad I could barely walk.

Several of us were cooling off and drying off after the game last night before driving home and shooting the breeze because it's been such a long time since we've all been together.  Last night was great in so many ways and we're hoping the indoor football season happens because nobody wants to go back to loafing around after finally being able to put on the equipment and play again for the first time in almost two years, even if it was a pair of half hour 6 on 6 scrimmage games on an indoor sized field to model how the indoor game goes instead of a full blown outdoor summer game.

That whole thing came up like it always does, the damage the inactivity did to everyone's health both physical and mental.  The amount of anger and distrust out there now is palpable.  Nobody trusts the politicians not to drop another lockdown this fall and trash everything again.  The season's slated to start in late September, so about a month from now, and a lot of people there last night think a lockdown could arrive right around the same time as the season start date and that last night might've been the one and only time to put on equipment and play between 2019 and 2022.

Talking about 2022, there's a bunch of us who are committed to going again next summer if it happens and given the amount of time everything's been shuttered, it's going to be hard.  A lot of the older players have already packed it in; team rosters are going to be a lot different between 2019 and 2022.  There's also a lot of speculation out there that a bunch of teams that were barely hanging on before the pandemic are going to fold unless they can find a lot of younger players but where are they going to come from especially if high school and university sports and youth leagues (players ageing out who want to continue playing move up to the semipro league) are scrapped again this fall?

I hope you've been able to pick up swimming again and slowly work off the knots, and I really hope they don't take the pool away from you again.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

I hope you've been able to pick up swimming again and slowly work off the knots, and I really hope they don't take the pool away from you again.

Thanks.  Yes, a few of the pools have been open for a couple of months now.  The pool I normally swim at is still closed for another year (major work being done), and the pool I am presently attending is adequate.  It has a very cold deep tank (8' deep end to end) and another pool which they call the training pool that is about 4' deep end to end that they keep a bit warmer for seniors, children lessons etc.  As much as I would prefer the deep cold pool, I must use the other pool because I need the low entry stairs to exit the pool. I can jump in fine, but my jumping out days are over. They can't put the stairs in the deep pool obviously.  TBH, I am not really enjoying the warm water to swim in, but when I recall not having a pool for 6 months, I tell myself to shut up and be grateful for what I have.

I actually got up early, and STAYED up this morning, 5:30am. So after the usual shower/shave/get dressed/check weather/take the dog walkies/check the buses/piss one more time/check I have everything/dog has water/doors are locked?/leave morning process which always seems to take an annoyingly long time I was still catching a bus to downtown by 8am. Which in turn meant a productive morning of transitfanning on my day off. Usually, as I'm so used to my 2nd shift schedule, I'm lucky if I'm out of bed and out the door by noon.

• Like 1

Domino's has a local promotion with a special coupon code that I get 60 percent off my pizza order. Just applied it to two pizzas (one for myself and another for a family member). Pretty much $16 buys two large pizzas with two toppings each which is a lot different than $10.99/each for the same order.

Good until September 12th because one of the locations is undertaking renovations. The two locations in my part of town one is recently opened and the other was relocated to an old bank location modified to a pizza shop. Pretty much 20 minutes or less to fulfill the order even with the challenge of staffing going around. 

September 17 - the first set of regular season indoor football games is taking place with the full season schedule to be published soon, so that's at least two games if you include the pre-season scrimmage set from a week and a half ago.

I think part of the delay getting a full schedule laid out is going to depend on the specifics of what vaccine mandate/passport are announced today that's rumoured to go into effect on September 22.  The rest of the sesaon might need to be pushed back a couple of weeks to allow players who haven't been vaccinated yet get vaccinated or be scheduled to take place outside to skirt restrictions on indoor activity to provide that time to get it done.

Final invoice issued which pays off the device balance on my current phone which I continue using, just without a contract. Literally did not cave into the offer the wireless carrier is offering by upgrading to the new iPhone 12 and waiving the activation fee.

Noting that the new iPhone is announced on September 14th, better to simply wait until the new models are pushed out leading to the older models discounted. Why spend more money than necessary if knowing the product refresh cycle. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 8:44 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Final invoice issued which pays off the device balance on my current phone which I continue using, just without a contract. Literally did not cave into the offer the wireless carrier is offering by upgrading to the new iPhone 12 and waiving the activation fee.

Noting that the new iPhone is announced on September 14th, better to simply wait until the new models are pushed out leading to the older models discounted. Why spend more money than necessary if knowing the product refresh cycle. 

depends i guess, luckily im not in that boat (my 11 is only a year old and i paid full (i have a good plan you cant get anymore and i wouldve had to forfeit it)   so yeah thats not getting replaced anytime soon lol)

Went to the library and got my vaccine passport printed out. I made three copies, a pair and a spare. The copies were 10 cents each and I had a quarter and nickel in my change compartment. Not wanting to take a chance if the copier machine would give change (I have that kinda luck with coin operated machines)  I just figured this would be easier. So a copy in my wallet, a copy in my swim bag and a spare just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a lovely Celebration of Life for my mom. Only about the third time we tried to schedule it but covid was always derailing our plans. Finally managed to gather up a few of her friends (and my son) for an intimate cozy gathering over good food and warm friendship. It was exactly the kind of gathering mom would have enjoyed and wanted for this memorable occasion.

• Like 2

Just got a call from Carbon Environmental Boutique that I won one of five door prizes. I won't have time until Sunday to collect it.

Fast forward to Sunday.  Collected my 'winnings' today. Basically various things containing essential oils.  A couple of small batch handmade soaps, a couple of body oils, and a scented candle containing essential oil. The candle I won't use, but Christmas is around the corner... someone may get a very nice and expensive candle. I went to their website to check out the items, turns out the total value of the items is $156.00 !!!

PA170002.JPG