Jump to content

General FY Moments


Orion VIII
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am really pleased with my relatively new Bird Feeding Station.  It's called an Advanced Pole System consisting of hooks, metal 'branches' and an assortment of different hanging feeders on a main pole with a large wide base.  All small enough that pigeons can only watch from afar and feel sorry for themselves. LOL.  Got swarmed today by at least a dozen sparrows and purple finches.  On the balcony ledge itself I have a Suet Cylinder (attracts Magpies and Ravens as well as the little birds) and a Peanut Wreath filled with whole in-the-shell peanuts which attracts Squirrels, Magpies and Blue Jays. Pigeons don't seem interested in those either. YAY !!!

P1010004.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010011.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Well, I did it.  Gave Whack-a-Doodle room-mate two months notice to clear out. She's still asleep, hasn't seen the notice yet. I just can't handle the stress anymore.

Oh no.  I hope she doesn't get ugly and lose it when she does wake up and see the notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had my first swim since my stress episode two weeks ago. Swim pal and I went to Stadium. I figured the salt water would be beneficial, and not have to breathe in chlorinated air since my breathing is still very shallow. I forwent the upper body workout and did an hour of straight kick to get the heart pumping, which in turn will help with the pulmonary edema which I am now battling. Sadly, right now I can barely walk half a block without needing to catch my breathe. When someone says stress is a killer, believe them.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Finally, out of the hospital, but not out of the woods yet.  Far from out of the woods. Nice to know that I have an affliction that only affects less than 10% of the people with sleep apnea.  Central Sleep Apnea.  I'm in queue for a sleep study.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Well, all's well, ends well. 

So I'm bouncing at my airport job just picking up shifts in multiple departments on my day's off until a part-time schedule comes out while I head to school full-time. Originally, I planned to go back to my old job working at the grocery store when my old boss told me I'm welcomed back at anytime. He never got back to me but one of my classmates offers me a job at another company at the airport as I am more than qualified for it. I said I'd consider it yet still wouldn't have a day off for my health and extra time to study. I went to my old work to run errands when I had a couple hours for lunch. This was my first visit in almost two months. My old colleague sees me and tells me that the boss is here and is looking for me. He apologized for not responding to my texts and says he got a job lined up for me part-time with a day off so I can study and focus on myself. He gave me a few days to think about the offer. I said I would consider it but I am likely going to take the offer as this was exactly what I wanted in the first place. Less pay than my current job and I have to officially goodbye to my coworkers on at the airport. But I don't to deal with the mess of staff-shortages, little for too much expectations, burning myself out etc. Will miss it very much though. 

So without submitting my resume or real job searching I was offered multiple jobs and the only real stress I got is staying up-to-date with school. Crazy how things work out for the better even when you least expect it. This wasn't even the first time it happened. It happened nearly a few weeks ago when the school offered me my first program choice just days before I started school. It's f*cking crazy to think that all good things come with time and it all falls into place when you least expect it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bought a new feeder, hoping this one will be more pigeon proof than the last ones I had that they managed to figure out by hitting them and jumping on them to 'spill' the contents. This one has a deeper tray at the bottom and also an adjustable cover so I can set it to just admit the smaller birds. 

I also had a Northern Flicker come by for a whole peanut. First time seeing one of those 'in the flesh'.

P9240003.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shoppers Drug Mart had two promotions going on for Colgate toothpaste along with a sale. Each 70 mL tube was $2.99 each up to a maximum of 4. After the limit of 4, it goes up to $3.49 along with how the sale ended today (September 26th) for the one item.

I bought the maximum of 4 at the lower price. Self-checkout along with scanning my loyalty card. Here is the offers that got applied.

  • PC Optimum points day (4,000 points for every $10 spent on Colgate)
  • Get 3,000 points when you buy two Colgate products (in-store offer)
  • 5,000 points stackable with any offers (for not shopping at Shoppers)
  • Personal offer on Colgate

The total cost including the plastic bag was $13.56. I ended up earning just over 17,500 points in the transaction.

I think it was an interesting loophole that someone forgot to check the promotions. Even when the low price was only for three days, most likely they could care less about the losses on the sale. I have heard of similar loopholes in the past and it depends how much it is costing them. If it is impacting Shoppers Drug Mart's bottom line, they would fix it before the weekend is over where as something small like this, they probably will let it go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2022 at 7:20 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Shoppers Drug Mart had two promotions going on for Colgate toothpaste along with a sale. Each 70 mL tube was $2.99 each up to a maximum of 4. After the limit of 4, it goes up to $3.49 along with how the sale ended today (September 26th) for the one item.

I bought the maximum of 4 at the lower price. Self-checkout along with scanning my loyalty card. Here is the offers that got applied.

  • PC Optimum points day (4,000 points for every $10 spent on Colgate)
  • Get 3,000 points when you buy two Colgate products (in-store offer)
  • 5,000 points stackable with any offers (for not shopping at Shoppers)
  • Personal offer on Colgate

The total cost including the plastic bag was $13.56. I ended up earning just over 17,500 points in the transaction.

I think it was an interesting loophole that someone forgot to check the promotions. Even when the low price was only for three days, most likely they could care less about the losses on the sale. I have heard of similar loopholes in the past and it depends how much it is costing them. If it is impacting Shoppers Drug Mart's bottom line, they would fix it before the weekend is over where as something small like this, they probably will let it go. 

I'm sure this sort of compound promotion is probably looked at as a loss leader.  Not many many people are likely to have bought four packages of toothpaste inside that narrow window of eligibility in order to clean up like that.

Then there's the reverse.  What I've noticed is they'll put stuff on special where you get some amount of points per x dollars spent on some product and then they'll put the same product on sale so that the price comes in slightly below that x dollars required to collect the points, forcing you to buy two or more.  The other night it was 6,000 points on $20 of paper towels but they were priced so that even the largest package came to $19 and change so it was right below the threshold.  The way it worked out, you needed to buy a minimum of $30 worth of paper towels to get over the threshold to collect the points, which is what I did, but that's a lot of  money for someone on a really tight budget to tie up in paper towels to get the bonus points.

I already had paper towels on hand at home too but I figured I'd stock up, collect the points, and not have to buy any for a while to come.  Even then, I was wondering if I'd overpurchased.  Then yesterday I lifted up the two pieces of carpet in the side door landing of the stairs and took them outside to clean them and the mess I found underneath where the rubber backing had rotted and turned into this black rubber sand that was sticking to the floor was disgusting.  The carpets got thrown out and I then I used a bit more than a whole roll of paper towels cleaning up the mess they left behind.  After that, I was glad I stocked up.  I would've been annoyed if I left the 6,000 points on the table if I hadn't stocked up after going through that in one go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Then there's the reverse.  What I've noticed is they'll put stuff on special where you get some amount of points per x dollars spent on some product and then they'll put the same product on sale so that the price comes in slightly below that x dollars required to collect the points, forcing you to buy two or more.  The other night it was 6,000 points on $20 of paper towels but they were priced so that even the largest package came to $19 and change so it was right below the threshold.

I once had a request from a customer to manually charge them more for a $24.98 item so they would meet the $25 threshold.

On 9/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

I think it was an interesting loophole that someone forgot to check the promotions. Even when the low price was only for three days, most likely they could care less about the losses on the sale. I have heard of similar loopholes in the past and it depends how much it is costing them. If it is impacting Shoppers Drug Mart's bottom line, they would fix it before the weekend is over where as something small like this, they probably will let it go. 

The thing is, to spend those points you need to be using them in a Loblaw store, which generally means you're continuing to patronize Loblaw's and not going somewhere else. Mission accomplished. It's entirely possible that some people will take advantage of a stack of offers like yours, and then not patronize Loblaw other than to use their points, but that is not all that common.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

The thing is, to spend those points you need to be using them in a Loblaw store, which generally means you're continuing to patronize Loblaw's and not going somewhere else. Mission accomplished. It's entirely possible that some people will take advantage of a stack of offers like yours, and then not patronize Loblaw other than to use their points, but that is not all that common.

The other thing is there's the spread that makes it less painful for the retailer when you redeem points because you spend them at retail prices but, to use Loblaws as an example, the things you buy with them are supplied at Loblaws at their cost.  A $20 purchase that you make on points costs them less than that because Loblaws doesn't incur their own markup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...