Selkirk Transit

DavidW

Selkirk Transit bus stop signs have been installed. The stops are numbered. The signs are informative, with arrival time and a route map. That should make it expensive to alter the route or schedule if ever they decide to.

Stop #50:

Yeah, even for weather resistant stickers the costs will add up. It also looks to me like the sign is a bit high to easily read the map anyways. Maybe it's just the photo angle though.

Alex Reglec posted this photo on Flickr of one of the new ARBOCs.

• 4 weeks later...

Spent a few hours in Selkirk riding and photographing Selkirk Transit on Monday June 20th. It's still a free service (until the end of the month) and there were lots of riders on the three trips I took. The bus only seats about 20 and there were seven to twelve riders on each of the mid-day trips I rode.

I think maybe the route is longer than it's scheduled to be. A round trip is supposed to take 58 minutes (and the driver gets a 2 minute rest) but the trips I took were all 5 to 12 minutes late. I was a little tense catching the 2PM departure at Wallmart which was scheduled to arrive at the Beaver depot at 2:14, plenty of time for the 2:30 Beaver Bus to Winnipeg. My Selkirk Transit bus didn't show up at Wallmart until 2:12. We got to the bus depot at 2:26, just in time to catch Beav' to Winnipeg.

selikirk_STchev_daw2011jun20.jpg

Spent a few hours in Selkirk riding and photographing Selkirk Transit on Monday June 20th. It's still a free service (until the end of the month) and there were lots of riders on the three trips I took. The bus only seats about 20 and there were seven to twelve riders on each of the mid-day trips I rode.

I think maybe the route is longer than it's scheduled to be. A round trip is supposed to take 58 minutes (and the driver gets a 2 minute rest) but the trips I took were all 5 to 12 minutes late. I was a little tense catching the 2PM departure at Wallmart which was scheduled to arrive at the Beaver depot at 2:14, plenty of time for the 2:30 Beaver Bus to Winnipeg. My Selkirk Transit bus didn't show up at Wallmart until 2:12. We got to the bus depot at 2:26, just in time to catch Beav' to Winnipeg.

That would explain why I didn't see the Selkirk Transit bus at the Beaver Terminal in Selkirk last week when I arrived there at about 1055 AM from downtown Winnipeg on #62. I waited till 1105 and decided it may have left early, so I went for a walk down a few blocks and when I was on my way back to the terminal a Selkirk bus snuck up on my from the right from behind a building as I approached an intersection. Grabbed cam out of my bag as quick as I could to try and get a couple of shots. I noticed at least 5 people inside the bus as it drive away. They were all watching me! Probably got a laugh out of seeing me scramble for my camera and take pix of the bus! Also caught a Selkirk Handi-Bus as well. See attached images:

I have removed the attached images from this post as they are now available on my website at this direct link: http://www.busdrawings.com/Transit/manitoba/selkirk/index.htm

Edited by BCT-3122-D800-10240

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Transit ridership plummets over summer

Will pick up once school is back in session and weather becomes nastier: Nicol

By John Towns

Updated 10 days ago

While the first month of Selkirk's new transit service's service boasted steady growth in ridership, the month of July didn't paint quite as rosy a picture for the fledgling bus system.

After a month-long free trial period, riders had to start paying for service at the start of last month, and during the month of July the number of riders dipped from a high of over 1100 passengers a week at the start of the month to less than 300 by the end of July.

Read the rest of the article here.

• 4 weeks later...
Transit picks up after lackluster July

Numbers should continue to increase as school and work resumes normal schedule: Nicol

By John Towns

Posted 2 days ago

After slumping significantly in July, Selkirk Transit's ridership numbers showed what Deputy Mayor Duane Nicol calls "positive trending" over the month of August.

While the number of riders dipped from a high of over 1100 a week in June – during a month-long free trial period for riders – to around 300 riders a week in July – the service's first month of paid rides – ridership has seen some steady growth over August, topping out at about 350 passengers mid-month.

Read the full article here:

Transit picks up after lacklustre July [selkirk Journal] 12 Sep 2011

• 1 month later...

Hm, I wonder how possible it'd be for Gimli to have a transit service. Theres Fraserwood, the former RCAF base/industrial park, Seagrams/Crown Royal plant, the city itself and possibly more newer homes on the south side along with condominiums on the northern side. Lets say... 2 routes, 4 cut-aways (2 spare) and two D35LFRs (one spare) during peak hours or the Icelandic Festival? It'd be nice to have a ride around town during that time of the year!

• 8 months later...

http://www.selkirkjournal.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=3588864

Transit continues to get green light

Selkirk Transit celebrates one year, innovation award

By Amanda Lefley

Posted 9 days ago

Statistics collected this past February also speak to the success of the transit system. Nicol said the service has a 95 per cent satisfaction rate and 50 per cent of that indicated they were very satisfied. He also said 91 per cent of riders said the drivers are helpful and informative, and since its start Selkirk Transit has seen a 41 per cent increase in ridership.

“All this hard work is being seen – the payoff is when you receive an award like this for innovation,” said Selkirk mayor Larry Johannson. “They just don’t hand these things out you have to earn them.”

The Province of Manitoba covers fifty per cent of the cost to run Selkirk Transit, and Nicol said the system wouldn’t be in place if it hadn’t been for local MLA Greg Dewar who also spoke to the service’s success.

“We think it is important to provide this alternate source of transportation to our constituents,” said Dewar.

Currently Selkirk Transit will be the installing bus benches at numerous locations along its route.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

http://www.interlaketoday.ca/2014/07/02/selkirk-transit-is-making-summer-travels-lighter

Selkirk Transit is making summer travels lighter

Sophia Street is such an area, specifically the Parkside Terrace’s two apartment complexes that has a bus stop situated close by.

“The discussion at the board level was a marketing initiative. Knowing we have two new buildings coming on stream that are on a bus route and do have a demographic likely that would use the transit if they were exposed to it,” said Cook. “It’s an opportunity to introduce Transit to them, let them experience it.”

Service expansion! And:

And, for the rest of the residents of Selkirk, Transit is offering its services free on Canada Day – July 1. Transit will be running from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on an hourly basis. From 5 p.m. until midnight Transit will be operating every half hour. Also, buses will be stationed at the Selkirk Legion, close to the waterfront, for when the fireworks display ends.

Wonder how that turned out for ridership and overall service.

• 1 month later...

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/selkirk-set-to-boast-new-hotel-229497151.html?cx_navSource=d-popular-views

Another hotel chain is about to enter the Manitoba market.

Canalta Hotels, a 35-year-old, family-owned company that operates 38 hotels in Alberta and Saskatchewan, has a new 84-room hotel under construction in the Selkirk Crossing retail power centre on the western outskirts of Selkirk.

A spokesman for the power centre's developer -- Winnipeg's Shindico Realty Inc. -- said the hotel is scheduled to open next summer and is Canalta's first in Manitoba.

But others could soon follow...

Canalta isn't the only major new tenant coming to Selkirk Crossing. Real Canadian Superstore finally appears close to starting work on its long-awaited big-box grocery store, which had been in the works since before the last global recession.

"We've been advised it will be starting in the near future," Pearson said, noting the Superstore property is already serviced and ready for development.

A hotel boost of tourists, along with boost of employment from the new hotel and Superstore (including a ton of shoppers), along with the article showing new road's being constructed and the potentially significant transit boost... nothing but good news for Selkirk Transit!

• 7 months later...

Grande West Transportation Group Inc. announces the Company has won a competitive public Tender Bid Contract for a 30' model Vicinity bus for the City of Selkirk, Manitoba

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/news-sources/?date=+20150409&archive=ccnm&slug=201504091001171001

That's a bit more exciting than another cutaway!

• 9 months later...

Grande West Transportation Group Inc. announces the Company has won a competitive public Tender Bid Contract for a 30' model Vicinity bus for the City of Selkirk, Manitoba

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/news-sources/?date=+20150409&archive=ccnm&slug=201504091001171001

That's a bit more exciting than another cutaway!

Wonder if anyone knows if it has been delivered yet?