Your wishlist of route changes, try to keep it realistic

Goldeneye

To get those signs installed do they have to get approval from the police?

Police are law enforcers, not law makers. Therefore, either the Ministry or 100 Queen Street West would make the call. I'd go with the latter.

I'm turning into the broken record with this one (posted it at least 3 times elsewhere I think), but ... Overhaul of the branch lettering and naming conventions on the 59 Maple Leaf to simplify the route structure, and remove the confusing X, Y, Z branch letter references from the schedules, and make it easier to understand.

Westbound

59A - to Weston Road via Gary Drive

59B - to Weston Road via Church

59C - to Weston Road via Gary Drive & Gulliver (not as "Benton & Culford")

59D - to Weston Road via Church & Gulliver (not as "Benton & Culford")

Eastbound

59A - to Lawrence West Stn

59B - (signed as 59A, see above)

59C - to Lawrence West Stn via Gulliver (not as "Culford & Benton")

59D - (signed as 59C, see above)

Simple I think. No?

MTO most likely.

MTO only has jurisdiction on its own roads. None of the roads in the City of Toronto fall under that jurisdiction (except for the 400-series highways). The decision would lie with the City of Toronto Transportation Services department. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a deal to get a "TTC Vehicles Excepted" sign to allow for turns...

I'm turning into the broken record with this one (posted it at least 3 times elsewhere I think), but ... Overhaul of the branch lettering and naming conventions on the 59 Maple Leaf to simplify the route structure, and remove the confusing X, Y, Z branch letter references from the schedules, and make it easier to understand.

Westbound

Eastbound

Simple I think. No?

Agreed. Especially off peak westbound the buses are signed as 59C only, based from my spouttings, so that means the riders would have to pretty much guess if the bus is going via Church first or Gary first. Your idea simplified that by having the "C" branch via Gary and "D" branch via Church.

Agreed. Especially off peak westbound the buses are signed as 59C only, based from my spouttings, so that means the riders would have to pretty much guess if the bus is going via Church first or Gary first. Your idea simplified that by having the "C" branch via Gary and "D" branch via Church.

I sometimes ride the 59C on the weekend and i end up with both different outcomes of what comes first. It is a good idea to have a C and D branch. In that case on the weekend it would be every hour for the C and the D separately. Not that it should matter with the riders since the whole route is covered no matter what.

Just to update my wishlist of route changes, including new ones for TTC.

YRT \ Viva

9A Ninth Line (Full day service, weekdays)

Provide better connections to Ninth Line between Steeles Avenue and Highway 7, and to better serve the new Cornell and Hoover Park communities, a new branch of Route 9 should be created. South starting at Steeles (a loop similar to the Islington Loop might be constructed, also connects YRT 2 and TTC 53), passing through M-S Hospital, and resumes routing along 9th Line, extending service north on 9th Line, east on Bethesda Sideroad, and connect to Lincolnville GO Station during rush hours. The frequency of this branch should be 1 hour, providing a combining frequency of the corridor to be around 1 hour for midday (as opposed to 2 hours right now), and maintain current 30 minutes frequency during rush hours (i.e. every 1 hour there's a Route 9 branch, and every 1 hour there's a route 9A branch, combining with 30 minutes frequency). Only Route 9A will reach as far north as Lincolnville GO and as far south as Steeles Avenue. (Steeles Avenue terminus may require more investigation on the technical details...)

Alternate routing: Use 10th Line north of Stouffville Road. That way, Route 9A also serves part of Stouffville Road and 10th Line. (Improves service on Stouffville Road, rather than one-direction service by Route 15)

Third Option: Use Hoover Park Drive to reach to 10th Line. This provides community service to the new subdivision near Hoover Park. (Better enhance service, supplement to Route 15)

21B Brimley North

Contracted TTC route. A new branch of 21B should stretch from Scarborough Town Centre north on Brimley to 14th Avenue, while looping perhaps via 14th Avenue, McCowan Road, and Highglen Avenue. 21B is more "urgent" than 130 (Middlefield) as there are no transit service yet on Brimley Road (while Middlefield Road has portions of Route 2).

27 Highway 27 | 28 Highway 27 - Zenway

Combine Routes 27 and 28 together. Service on Highway 27 is redundant between Steeles Avenue and Royal Group Crescent. Limited diversions may be provided to Royal Group Crescent upon merger of the route. A suggestion upon merger is to increase service frequency to 20 minutes (due to extra vehicle availability upon merger). Until timing is more appropriate (i.e. when the business park is fully completed), Route 28 should be routed via Martin Grove Road (north), then west on Zenway Blvd., following west on Fogal Road, south on Highway 50, then loop back via Highway 7.

42 Berczy - South Unionville (Rush hours service)

In effort to improve to improve travel time, I think the route should be re-routed via east on Manhattan Drive past Shorthill Drive, then north of Saratoga Road, passing 16th Avenue to Stonebridge Drive, resuming current's alignment. This is now deem possible since the intersection at 16th Avenue / Saratoga - Stonebridge is now due to be traffic signaled.

Schedules should also be adjusted, to reflect actual travel times and to better sync with certain GO Train trips at Unionville GO Station.

43 Rodick - Markland (Rush hours service)

This would serve mainly The Woodbine By-Pass, Markland Street, and Rodick Road, and the industrial park south of 407 ETR.

North from the Honda plant, following south on Woodbine By-Pass, turning right (south) on Markland Street, following Markland Street south, continue east on Calvert Road, turn right (south) onto Rodick Road, following Rodick Road to Riviera Drive, west on Riviera Drive, then briefly north on Woodbine, then west on 14th Avenue, then loop via Hobbs Gate, Konrad Crescent, Shields Court, and Woodbine Avenue back east on 14th Avenue to Rodick Road.

88A Bathurst

Provide service along Bathurst Street, south of Steeles Avenue, to Wilson Subway Station. This will replace TTC Route 160 Bathurst North. Routes 88 and 88E will remain current routing.

90B Leslie - Don Mills

In effort to better serve the Seneca Newnham Campus (and since the Finch Loop is now completed), I think the route should be diverted (at least selected trips anyways) to the Seneca Loop (which has now completed construction) on Finch Avenue East. So in essence, 90 can serve the Don Mills / Leslie Corridor proper (i.e. faster travel time), while 90B diverts to places around this corridor (i.e. Seneca and the Beaver Creek Business Park, therefore a bit slower in travel time)

601 Viva Blue

Extension of the line could be implemented from Newmarket GO Terminal north to Green Lane. This would implement 2 more Vivastations at London Road and Green Lane.

603 Viva Purple / 604 Viva Pink / 606 Viva Green

As mentioned in the YRT thread. In an effort to improve travel time, Viva Purple and Viva Green should use the new alignment of Enterprise Drive and Unionville Gate to Kennedy Road, instead of diving south, diverting to the YMCA via Rivis Road. This would involve a new vivastation located at Rivis & Enterprise.

Viva Pink will keep its current alignment.

-------

Note: Some of the suggested service changes above have not been considered due to resource limitations.

TTC

25A Don Mills | 25B Don Mills

Due to cancellation of Route 25D, Route 25 now has (in theory) more vehicle availability. Instead of implementing 25S (short turn) whenever needed, a new branch 25A should be created, short-turning at Thorncliffe Park Drive, following current routing, ending at Finch Avenue, either loop through the Seneca Loop, or via Seneca Hill Drive, or keep the current 25S routing (via Skymark). 25A would be a full-time branch for Mondays - Fridays.

Route 25B will be a rush hour branch. North also ending at Finch Avenue, with the same looping arrangement as 25A. And the south end would be looped via Wynford Drive and Eglinton Avenue. Southbound buses, for example, will follow east and south on Wynford, and then west on Eglinton, then back to original routing.

72A Pape North

To "make up" on the reduced service of 25 Don Mills on Pape Avenue (north of Pape Stn.), a branch of 72A should be implemented, from Union Station, and north on Pape, connecting at Pape Stn, then continue north on Pape, and then loop back on Thorncliffe Park Drive. (or alternatively, the route can loop back via Donlands and O'Connor).

------

That's it for now (until next time when I think of some more...)

J

72A Pape North

To "make up" on the reduced service of 25 Don Mills on Pape Avenue (north of Pape Stn.), a branch of 72A should be implemented, from Union Station, and north on Pape, connecting at Pape Stn, then continue north on Pape, and then loop back on Thorncliffe Park Drive. (or alternatively, the route can loop back via Donlands and O'Connor).

Why complicate things, you can just improve service on the current 81.

YRT \ Viva

Provide better connections to Ninth Line between Steeles Avenue and Highway 7, and to better serve the new Cornell and Hoover Park communities, a new branch of Route 9 should be created. South starting at Steeles (a loop similar to the Islington Loop might be constructed, also connects YRT 2 and TTC 53), passing through M-S Hospital, and resumes routing along 9th Line, extending service north on 9th Line, east on Bethesda Sideroad, and connect to Lincolnville GO Station during rush hours. The frequency of this branch should be 1 hour, providing a combining frequency of the corridor to be around 1 hour for midday (as opposed to 2 hours right now), and maintain current 30 minutes frequency during rush hours (i.e. every 1 hour there's a Route 9 branch, and every 1 hour there's a route 9A branch, combining with 30 minutes frequency). Only Route 9A will reach as far north as Lincolnville GO and as far south as Steeles Avenue. (Steeles Avenue terminus may require more investigation on the technical details...)

Alternate routing: Use 10th Line north of Stouffville Road. That way, Route 9A also serves part of Stouffville Road and 10th Line. (Improves service on Stouffville Road, rather than one-direction service by Route 15)

Third Option: Use Hoover Park Drive to reach to 10th Line. This provides community service to the new subdivision near Hoover Park. (Better enhance service, supplement to Route 15)

21B Brimley North

Contracted TTC route. A new branch of 21B should stretch from Scarborough Town Centre north on Brimley to 14th Avenue, while looping perhaps via 14th Avenue, McCowan Road, and Highglen Avenue. 21B is more "urgent" than 130 (Middlefield) as there are no transit service yet on Brimley Road (while Middlefield Road has portions of Route 2).

Combine Routes 27 and 28 together. Service on Highway 27 is redundant between Steeles Avenue and Royal Group Crescent. Limited diversions may be provided to Royal Group Crescent upon merger of the route. A suggestion upon merger is to increase service frequency to 20 minutes (due to extra vehicle availability upon merger). Until timing is more appropriate (i.e. when the business park is fully completed), Route 28 should be routed via Martin Grove Road (north), then west on Zenway Blvd., following west on Fogal Road, south on Highway 50, then loop back via Highway 7.

In effort to improve to improve travel time, I think the route should be re-routed via east on Manhattan Drive past Shorthill Drive, then north of Saratoga Road, passing 16th Avenue to Stonebridge Drive, resuming current's alignment. This is now deem possible since the intersection at 16th Avenue / Saratoga - Stonebridge is now due to be traffic signaled.

Schedules should also be adjusted, to reflect actual travel times and to better sync with certain GO Train trips at Unionville GO Station.

This would serve mainly The Woodbine By-Pass, Markland Street, and Rodick Road, and the industrial park south of 407 ETR.

North from the Honda plant, following south on Woodbine By-Pass, turning right (south) on Markland Street, following Markland Street south, continue east on Calvert Road, turn right (south) onto Rodick Road, following Rodick Road to Riviera Drive, west on Riviera Drive, then briefly north on Woodbine, then west on 14th Avenue, then loop via Hobbs Gate, Konrad Crescent, Shields Court, and Woodbine Avenue back east on 14th Avenue to Rodick Road.

88A Bathurst

Provide service along Bathurst Street, south of Steeles Avenue, to Wilson Subway Station. This will replace TTC Route 160 Bathurst North. Routes 88 and 88E will remain current routing.

90B Leslie - Don Mills

In effort to better serve the Seneca Newnham Campus (and since the Finch Loop is now completed), I think the route should be diverted (at least selected trips anyways) to the Seneca Loop (which has now completed construction) on Finch Avenue East. So in essence, 90 can serve the Don Mills / Leslie Corridor proper (i.e. faster travel time), while 90B diverts to places around this corridor (i.e. Seneca and the Beaver Creek Business Park, therefore a bit slower in travel time)

601 Viva Blue

Extension of the line could be implemented from Newmarket GO Terminal north to Green Lane. This would implement 2 more Vivastations at London Road and Green Lane.

As mentioned in the YRT thread. In an effort to improve travel time, Viva Purple and Viva Green should use the new alignment of Enterprise Drive and Unionville Gate to Kennedy Road, instead of diving south, diverting to the YMCA via Rivis Road. This would involve a new vivastation located at Rivis & Enterprise.

-------

Note: Some of the suggested service changes above have not been considered due to resource limitations.

TTC

25A Don Mills | 25B Don Mills

Due to cancellation of Route 25D, Route 25 now has (in theory) more vehicle availability. Instead of implementing 25S (short turn) whenever needed, a new branch 25A should be created, short-turning at Thorncliffe Park Drive, following current routing, ending at Finch Avenue, either loop through the Seneca Loop, or via Seneca Hill Drive, or keep the current 25S routing (via Skymark). 25A would be a full-time branch for Mondays - Fridays.

Route 25B will be a rush hour branch. North also ending at Finch Avenue, with the same looping arrangement as 25A. And the south end would be looped via Wynford Drive and Eglinton Avenue. Southbound buses, for example, will follow east and south on Wynford, and then west on Eglinton, then back to original routing.

72A Pape North

------

That's it for now (until next time when I think of some more...)

9A 9th Line

Agreed on the move south to Steeles but I don't at this time. Maybe few more years down the road.

21B Brimley (14th Ave)

This has been in the planning stage for years and nothing has been done. A rush hour route could be good for the Brimley Rd corridor. Ridership might be an issue tho.

27 & 28 Highway 27

Agreed. Turn the 2 routes into 1.

42 South Unionville

I'll take your word for it. Not too familliar with that route.

43 Rodick

I don't think it's gonna happen. There were talks earlier on the board about this similar issue.

88 Bathurst / 160 Bathurst North

I'll do one better. Keep 88 as is and eliminate the 160 and 160A service. The buses that's used on 160 / 160A could be switched over to the 7 Bathurst (Steeles - Bathurst Stn)

90B Leslie South

I disagree with this one. Keep it running along Don Mills Rd.

VIVA Blue

I believe there were plans a while back to extend the Blue East along Davis Dr to the 404 Mall. I wouldn't bother extending it up to Green Lane. If any extention I'd say Eastwards to the 404 Mall.

VIVA Purple / VIVA Green

Agreed

25A / 25B Don Mills

I think the route is fine as is between Steeles and Pape Stn. Besides all TTC saved was around 3 buses in rush hours and 1 bus off peak. If any change for Don Mills corridor a 25E Don Mills Express would best fit.

72A Pape

Your whole Don Mills / Pape idea doesn't make any sense. You're taking away service just to add service. Another thing is Pape Ave wouldn't be majorly reduced cause riders along Pape Ave has the 81 Thorncliffe Park to fall back on. Another thing about your proposal is it's too confusing.

Yes don't forget 25E Don Mills Express, was going to say that:

Limited stops at Pape Station, Cosburn, O'Connor, Thorncliffe Park, Overlea / Gateway, Eglinton, Lawrence, York Mills, Duncan Mill / Graydon Hall, Parkway Forest / Havenbrook, Don Mills Station, Van Horne, Finch, McNicoll, Steeles

Italic text suggest possible stops of the express route.

Yes don't forget 25E Don Mills Express, was going to say that:

Limited stops at Pape Station, Cosburn, O'Connor, Thorncliffe Park, Overlea / Gateway, Eglinton, Lawrence, York Mills, Duncan Mill / Graydon Hall, Parkway Forest / Havenbrook, Don Mills Station, Van Horne, Finch, McNicoll, Steeles

Italic text suggest possible stops of the express route.

I'm thinking more like

Pape Stn, O' Connor, Don Mills / Overlea, Eglinton, The Donway (South), Lawrence, York Mills, Graydon Hall, Don Mills Stn, Finch, McNicoll and Steeles plus all the stops along the on street Loop.

There used to be a 25B (?) express why did they get rid of it?

Yes there was a 25B Express service back then. My guess is it didn't last because the ridership back then didn't warrant that type of service.

Time to analyze your route changes again... :)

The Staines Loop is what you're thinking of, which should be built sooner than later. As for the current midday frequency, it's every 4 hours, not 2 hours.

All that aside, I like your third option the most. Though I don't understand why the extension to Lincolnville GO is necessary, as there is practically nothing there except a carpool lot and farmland. Besides, most people exiting at Lincolnville (ok...if any) end up going north to Goodwood and Uxbridge.

21B Brimley North

21B is already a branch of the 21 Brimley, so 21C I'd assume is what you're looking for.

Another possible looping would be Brimley, Beckenridge, Ravenhill, Beckenridge, and back down Brimley.

I really hate 27/28 IMO, due to its unpredictable ridership.

Didn't YRT had a plan to extend one of those routes to Brampton? I rather see that happen as well.

Screw rush hour service, the 42 has the demand for full day service already. I've actually seen buses quite full during rush hours, and there are people who board along Manhattan and Stonebridge.

And what's wrong with the current sync for the GO Train trips? They seem to be okay...most of the times it's the train that's late (and since it ain't a GO shuttle, it's not supposed to hold).

This can be a long term proposal, but the ridership will not support if the route was to be implemented in September.

88A Bathurst

You're gonna screw a lot of the 88A passengers on Sundays who normally use Finch. If you really want to properly take over the 160, a suggestion would be to provide an 88B branch, which can mirror 160's current routing.

In addition, I also want to see 88E use Bathurst/Steeles/Willowdale/Bishop to get to/from Finch. Yonge Street can be a disaster, especially during rush hours.

90B Leslie - Don Mills

In effort to better serve the Seneca Newnham Campus (and since the Finch Loop is now completed), I think the route should be diverted (at least selected trips anyways) to the Seneca Loop (which has now completed construction) on Finch Avenue East. So in essence, 90 can serve the Don Mills / Leslie Corridor proper (i.e. faster travel time), while 90B diverts to places around this corridor (i.e. Seneca and the Beaver Creek Business Park, therefore a bit slower in travel time).

No.

The fact is; 90 shouldn't even be serving the loop in the first place. Aside from rush hour, no one boards at that loop. As well, the stop at Don Mills is close enough to the Seneca Newnham Campus. As well, it won't be a bit slower; it will be A LOT slower. Buses take a long time to make that left turn from Finch to the loop. You're adding at least 10 minutes just to serve that loop on a normal day (15 minutes on a horrible day).

601 Viva Blue

Again, no. VIVA is not the answer to everything.

If you've ever boarded 98 north of Newmarket Terminal, you would see it's pretty much dead almost all the time. The only passengers you would get are the 1-2 passengers going to the Green Lane Plaza. Definitely a waste of resources.

I originally said no to this, but I can see this working only if you divert the 8 to Unionville GO via Unionville Gate/Enterprise/Rivis/YMCA southbound. As well, to minimize confusion, if your plan was to bloom, I'd kill the Enterprise stop altogether for Pink, and move the stop to the nearside of Enterprise Road both sides.

21B is already a branch of the 21 Brimley, so 21C I'd assume is what you're looking for.

Another possible looping would be Brimley, Beckenridge, Ravenhill, Beckenridge, and back down Brimley.

Or have the discontinued 128A Brimley North looping. North on Brimley Rd, East on 14th Ave, South on Caldbeck Ave and West on Highglen Ave to Brimley Rd.

Aye, there are so many confusing letters and branches on too many routes.

I've not used this route but have heard a suggestion for even more basic routing and naming:

59 via Lawrence, Benton, Culford, Church

59A via Lawrence, Benton, Culford, Gary

Westbound

Eastbound

Simple I think. No?

YRT \ Viva

88A Bathurst

Time to analyze your route changes again... :)

I really hate 27/28 IMO, due to its unpredictable ridership.

Didn't YRT had a plan to extend one of those routes to Brampton? I rather see that happen as well.

You're gonna screw a lot of the 88A passengers on Sundays who normally use Finch. If you really want to properly take over the 160, a suggestion would be to provide an 88B branch, which can mirror 160's current routing.

In addition, I also want to see 88E use Bathurst/Steeles/Willowdale/Bishop to get to/from Finch. Yonge Street can be a disaster, especially during rush hours.

One of the proposed changes Brampton is looking into for September in conjunction with the introduction of the 501 QUEEN Züm service is to extend and loop the current 1 QUEEN service north on Regional 50, east on Zenway, south on Hwy. 27 and then west on Hwy. 7. The loop would mirror the truncated YRT 77 HIGHWAY 7-CENTRE. The problem according to BT's planners who have checked out the area is that there is a significant amont of traffic in the morning using Zenway to access the 427 and the same in the afternoon with people coming off. Secondly, the roads aren't apparently completely paved along Zenway, requiring the finishing layer of asphalt. Hopefully that will be done this summer in time for Fall service.

One solution (for the traffic problem) would be to loop the BT 1 and YRT 77 counterclockwise in the morning and clockwise in the afternoon. You just have to weigh the difference between sitting in traffic from the 427 vs. waiting to make a left-hand turn. Which from the sound of things may not be so bad since you are going against the flow of traffic. What this will do to the YRT 28 I'm not sure, but there was a proposal to extend the TTC 191 up to Zenway to cover the 28 and possibly the 27.

As for the 88 BATHURST/160 BATHURST NORTH issue, how about running the 88A along Atkinson and Hilda out of Promenade taking over the southern leg of the 23 and then route the 23 down along the 160's routing? I don't now what the ridership stats and demographics are like for the 23 so it's just an idea. I think the original target audience for the 160 were Jewish seniors wanting to travel directly between Thronhill and Wilson. Something that would be lost if the route ended at Downsview instead. This may still be the case, thus the continued existence of the routing and perhaps reluctance for a YRT route to extend that far south. What kinda surprises me is that neither the 23 or 88 have some sort of diverted trips into York Central Hosptial. For a region so short on hospitals, you'd think they'd be more accessible to transit.

• 2 weeks later...
Aye, there are so many confusing letters and branches on too many routes.

I've not used this route but have heard a suggestion for even more basic routing and naming:

59 via Lawrence, Benton, Culford, Church

59A via Lawrence, Benton, Culford, Gary

What about the Peak service routing via Lawrence (avoiding Benton & Culford)?

The problem stems from the fact that it's a bidirectional loop at the end, which IMHO, needs different letters to differentiate between which loop ( A vs. B )

Your scheme seems to be a resurrection of the old 59 to Weston/Lawrence via Church and 59A to Weston/Knob Hill via Gary, when the branches didn't loop and went there separate ways past the hospital.

I prefer mine better, as it simplifies the structure, and you're not doing much change to the existing lettering, so as to reduce confusion with passengers and operators.

How about TTC service to Wild Water Kingdom. A branch of a route in the Humber College area could be extended to serve it. An off-street loop could be built at the entrance. I'm sure it would increase the number of visitors from Toronto. Currently the only transit service to it is Brampton Transit's route 11. They could do it without an extra fare required and only stop at Wild Water Kingdom west of the 427 but I'm not sure how BT would react to that.

How about TTC service to Wild Water Kingdom. A branch of a route in the Humber College area could be extended to serve it. An off-street loop could be built at the entrance. I'm sure it would increase the number of visitors from Toronto. Currently the only transit service to it is Brampton Transit's route 11. They could do it without an extra fare required and only stop at Wild Water Kingdom west of the 427 but I'm not sure how BT would react to that.

They shouldn't react at all, they go as far as Humber College and TTC doesn't react. Routes 60, 73 and 96 are the closes. Route 73 would be my choice, and no extra fare.

Route 36 is another good one because it wouldn't have to make a huge loop, it can easily loop around Kennar Rd, Goreway and Steeles. It would be 36F or something.

Should be a stop at St Dennis Dr, for the Ontario Science Centre

Then why not a stop at Peanut Plaza? How about the Plaza south of Lawrence? How about the stop north of Finch for Seneca College? I don't think a stop At the Science Centre is worth it. If those wanting to go to the Science Centre they can transfer onto a Local 25 bus.