2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

Yeah, they should fix up 754.

Saw a trolley with its hazards on and poles down at the opposite end of the transit centre from the regular route 5.

That trolley was #157... I had the relief driver for it show up to use my radio, after 157

was already parked there with its poles down. Came back a half hour later, and there

were two inspectors, the relief driver, and 157 still sitting there. Not sure what happened.

That trolley was #157... I had the relief driver for it show up to use my radio, after 157

was already parked there with its poles down. Came back a half hour later, and there

were two inspectors, the relief driver, and 157 still sitting there. Not sure what happened.

I heard about that, not sure what happened either. I think it was run 502, it was just plagued with problems. I think at one point they had a C/O waiting for it downtown and the operator was told to take the LRT to downtown and he showed up like an hour later. At 1930, this run was supposed to be at WTC and it was still at the Coliseum. I also heard that Run 12703 had some problems, lost some time and had to 'cut in' somewhere. Darn rookies on that <_<

Yeah, 157 was on 502, badge 7330...

and 12703 had probs two days in a row now... mirror clipped

yesterday at 131/111 EB at 1608, passenger injury today

at 124/111 WB at 1424.

Notice who lives close to that area??? Jinxed, I say, jinxed <_<B)

Uh huh ! BTW, don't look for me tomorrow, working till 1500. Catching Mark at 1526 to give him some pointers about 156 Street and Stony Plain Road from Ken. Bill MacDonald got his 30 year pin. He thinks he's got permanent status now :P

Saw 4216 at University and the back driver's side looks like it had had recent run in with a car. The bottom stoplight was somewhat displaced and the reverse light was crushed as well as the corner pannel was looking somewhat more like an accordian than usual. Also saw my first signed 597. The sign displays 597 River Cree Resort, the route was running a D40LF at the time.

Power problems on 101 Street between 105 Avenue and Jasper Avenue at 1120. The Route 3's are being pushed presently. The Epcor Trolley Crew has been dispatched. Epcor says they've reset the power a few times and it's not holding. There's a distinct possibilty of dieselisation on the Route 3. Mark only does one trip on the Route 3 so he may escape the dieselisation procedure. I was going to say "Hi" to him during my lunch break, of course his line volt indicator came on as soon as he crossed 105 Avenue...and I'm over by the library <_< . So I'll catch Mark after work at 1526. ETS is in dire need of a new wire map, with all the breakers on it, and color coded in 'circuit sections'.

Any reason EPCOR doesn't just leave the circuit turned off, and power that section from one of the bordering cirucits (101 St from 105 Ave north, or Jasper Ave from 101 St to 97 St). During the midday, there's never more than one route 3 in that circuit, and the 09 is very infrequent so it wouldn't be a big power draw. Hope this is cleared up by PM rush hour, or Mitchell will run out of diesels with no trolleys out on the 3,133 and a few 120's that were doing 3's when the power was lost.

Power problems on 101 Street between 105 Avenue and Jasper Avenue at 1120. The Route 3's are being pushed presently. The Epcor Trolley Crew has been dispatched. Epcor says they've reset the power a few times and it's not holding. There's a distinct possibilty of dieselisation on the Route 3. Mark only does one trip on the Route 3 so he may escape the dieselisation procedure. I was going to say "Hi" to him during my lunch break, of course his line volt indicator came on as soon as he crossed 105 Avenue...and I'm over by the library <_< . So I'll catch Mark after work at 1526. ETS is in dire need of a new wire map, with all the breakers on it, and color coded in 'circuit sections'.

All 3's are now dieselized or setup for diesel.. i know there is one as much as 14.40pm...

Minimum power speed restriction on LRT between Churchill and Corona Southbound i believe

Percy Wickman has been evacuated due to a gas leak. Aparently they are using the patterson yard to bring the dat's buses into be parked for change overs and stuff.

Also on a very sad issue with a little bit of positiveness.

It has come to my attention that ETS is planning on bringing Cromdale back to operations. The idea at the moment is all the old trolleys waiting for scrapping will be parked in the yard and right now theres plans to park the historics out there to rot if room need be.

i asked if they would use that as a trolley garage only then and that way they would a) free up room and <_< keep trolleys off to one shop but that wont happen because it would cost over 2 million to run new lines in there.

only problem is if they use cromdale with diesel buses, they will only be able to rev them up to 60pounds of air to get the brakes to release and finish building up pressure outside the garage.

All buses would still go to Westwood for Fueling, Bathing, Financial Emptying and Maintenance then return to cromdale.

While i am all for bringing cromdale back to life, and understand that it isn't a big deal that the trolleys to be parted will be sitting outside, I am very upset that they would put the historic collection to such terror.

So here is my suggestion to local fans. Start contacting councillors and people you know and tell them how important they are to be a part of our history and how they should be cared for. let them know that ETS and other City staff are being denied the permission to take care of these and fix them up. Let them know that these members are even offering to do this on there own personal time.

We can't let this collection get just parked outside or even scrapped. the weather will just destroy these if the vandalism wont.

The city just agreed to spend 15 million more on this new alberta museum. so why cant we get a working transit museum run by a group like most of us. I know im with the ERRS and would love to get the ETS Historical Society restarted. Unfortunatly ive tried this attempt three times already and it seems to be falling on deaf ears with ETS so i will be making some contacts to council myself too.....

Sorry had to vent. this has been really bugging me all night about this collection. We have approximatly 17 vehicles in the collection and add 3 or 4 GMC's to it and hopefully a couple bbc's soon. Not a small collection!

The switch for the Route 5/120 EB by the Convention Center is also giving problems. This has been on going for a little while. Of course anytime someone calls in regarding it control invariably tells the person "This is the first we've heard of it". Come on, give the drivers some credit, it's not always driver error.

Any reason EPCOR doesn't just leave the circuit turned off, and power that section from one of the bordering cirucits (101 St from 105 Ave north, or Jasper Ave from 101 St to 97 St). During the midday, there's never more than one route 3 in that circuit, and the 09 is very infrequent so it wouldn't be a big power draw.

I wonder why Epcor just didn't throw some tie circuits and re-direct the power ?

Hope this is cleared up by PM rush hour, or Mitchell will run out of diesels with no trolleys out on the 3,133 and a few 120's that were doing 3's when the power was lost.

I hope so too.

• Board Admin

A 700 series Fishbowl just went out for 179.

As per Cromdale, I doubt they will put the historical colleciton outside. I've seen some trucks parked outside and stuff, but I don't think much work has been done on the inside (yet). Also, the yard is full of SLRT stuff too. They should at the minimum put some temporary tents up like Ferrier.

A 700 series Fishbowl just went out for 179.

As per Cromdale, I doubt they will put the historical colleciton outside. I've seen some trucks parked outside and stuff, but I don't think much work has been done on the inside (yet). Also, the yard is full of SLRT stuff too. They should at the minimum put some temporary tents up like Ferrier.

Well this is what im informed..

As for the tents. Get your pictures of buses into the tents at ferrier. aparently they are on there way out as they have been a complete failure and nothing but troubles and they are going to rid of them soon.

With the care of transit has for their vehicles i wouldnt be surprised if they leave them out all the time.. hell they leave buses parked out all night on jasper and 121 ave that are easily accessable.

Percey wickman is now open again. The gas leak has been sealed and the fire chief gave permission to re-enter.

I heard about that...I nearly fell off my seat when I found out <_<

I don't know why you would fall out of your seat. This is not the first time. It happens regularly and its time that certain people start becoming reasponsible for their actions. I think im getting to the point that these things are starting to make me angry because of the stupidity.

If i were GM of Transportation. First thing i would do is make people responsible for allwoing this shit to happen and when its found that they do, they get disciplined for it. Leaving $280,000 Trolleybuses or $400,00 Diesels out in the middle of no where isnt responsible. thats pathetic.

Interesting idea to bring Cromdale back to life. Maybe they could even buy back Strathcona Garage and use that :P (It wouldn't work though due to all of the stuff that is in that area now).

I don't think they would store the historic collection outside. They will have to find somewhere else for it. The BBCs on the other hand will probably end up out there. At least if that happened we could get more photos of them.

And my stupid question for the week: Where exactly IS Cromdale? :P:huh: I've never been able to pinpoint the location

It has come to my attention that ETS is planning on bringing Cromdale back to operations. The idea at the moment is all the old trolleys waiting for scrapping will be parked in the yard and right now theres plans to park the historics out there to rot if room need be.

i asked if they would use that as a trolley garage only then and that way they would a) free up room and :P keep trolleys off to one shop but that wont happen because it would cost over 2 million to run new lines in there.

only problem is if they use cromdale with diesel buses, they will only be able to rev them up to 60pounds of air to get the brakes to release and finish building up pressure outside the garage.

All buses would still go to Westwood for Fueling, Bathing, Financial Emptying and Maintenance then return to cromdale.

This doesn't make sense. Do you have a source on this? The problem with Cromdale is that there's no ventilation, so $2 million for trolley lines might well be eclipsed by whatever it's going to cost to install ventilation in there. And it's right across from a bunch of houses, which means a bunch of idling diesel buses aren't going to be popular. And then throw in all the deadheading and this doesn't make financial sense...

The only way I can see Cromdale being used as an operational facility is if the Westwood trolleys are sent there. Operations and electrical maintenance would be at Cromdale and WW would be used by trolleys just for body work and other major maintenance.

But I don't see the feasibility of using Cromdale as a satellite storage space for diesel buses. It's too small, it's too old and it's not really suited to anything but electric vehicles.

And my stupid question for the week: Where exactly IS Cromdale? :P:huh: I've never been able to pinpoint the location

80 St & 116 Ave. You can see it from the LRT just south of Coliseum.

To get there, follow the trolley lines east from the end of the Route 3 on 115 Ave. Turn north on 80 St and pass by an LRT substation (a square brick building), a trolley substation (that looks like a haunted house) until you see the big abandoned-looking red building.

This doesn't make sense. Do you have a source on this?

Well of course i have a source. thats how i got the info lol.

but i will not reveal who it is as i am not at liberty to do that.

But this actually came at me from 2 sources and very good sources.

This doesn't make sense. Do you have a source on this? The problem with Cromdale is that there's no ventilation, so $2 million for trolley lines might well be eclipsed by whatever it's going to cost to install ventilation in there. And it's right across from a bunch of houses, which means a bunch of idling diesel buses aren't going to be popular. And then throw in all the deadheading and this doesn't make financial sense...

The only way I can see Cromdale being used as an operational facility is if the Westwood trolleys are sent there. Operations and electrical maintenance would be at Cromdale and WW would be used by trolleys just for body work and other major maintenance.

But I don't see the feasibility of using Cromdale as a satellite storage space for diesel buses. It's too small, it's too old and it's not really suited to anything but electric vehicles.

I'm guessing that if it happens, this is a temporary stop-gap measure until the new Southwest transit garage gets built in 2009 (or whenever that's supposed to happen). Maybe the inconvenience and noise are tolerable if it's only for a relatively short time.

With the care of transit has for their vehicles i wouldnt be surprised if they leave them out all the time.. hell they leave buses parked out all night on jasper and 121 ave that are easily accessable.

With all due respect James, that comment is hardly fair. The bus was spotted there at 2AM in the morning. Do you know what time bus #151 broke down at said location? How do you know it wasn't at 1AM in the morning. And even if it was still there in the morning at 6AM, so what...Like most companies ETS is facing a labour shortage. Perhaps they only had a few mechanics on shift that were all working hard to fix 10 buses to ensure that all the runs could be filled this morning. Maybe they didn't have time to drive the tow truck out that ways.

Plus 121st Street and Jasper Avenue is a pretty safe place. If the bus was parked on a 118th Ave or Whyte Ave. then maybe it would be treated differently.

I know you are frusturated, but still such comments like that aren't productive and frankly undermine the validity of your concerns. When people talk about ETS does this and that, remember ETS is run by people, when you make such comments as I have quoted about ETS, really you are just putting down the mechanics who have a hard enough time doing their jobs when so understaffed. Putting them down like that surely doesn't help them.

ETS does a damn good job of keepng thier buses in good shape. Take a look at all the GM's that are in the road, most of them are in pretty darn good shape given their age. If ETS didn't take good care of their buses, the 1993 and 1994 low floors would be ready for retirement pretty soon.

With all due respect James, that comment is hardly fair. The bus was spotted there at 2AM in the morning. Do you know what time bus #151 broke down at said location? How do you know it wasn't at 1AM in the morning. And even if it was still there in the morning at 6AM, so what...Like most companies ETS is facing a labour shortage. Perhaps they only had a few mechanics on shift that were all working hard to fix 10 buses to ensure that all the runs could be filled this morning. Maybe they didn't have time to drive the tow truck out that ways.

Plus 121st Street and Jasper Avenue is a pretty safe place. If the bus was parked on a 118th Ave or Whyte Ave. then maybe it would be treated differently.

I know you are frusturated, but still such comments like that aren't productive and frankly undermine the validity of your concerns. When people talk about ETS does this and that, remember ETS is run by people, when you make such comments as I have quoted about ETS, really you are just putting down the mechanics who have a hard enough time doing their jobs when so understaffed. Putting them down like that surely doesn't help them.

ETS does a damn good job of keepng thier buses in good shape. Take a look at all the GM's that are in the road, most of them are in pretty darn good shape given their age. If ETS didn't take good care of their buses, the 1993 and 1994 low floors would be ready for retirement pretty soon.

I still don't think ETS does as much as they could, however its the MECHANICS and EVM's that take such good care of the equipment. i have total respect for their work.

Now there have been buses left on 118 avenue and other area's that are even worse. I remember a local called in back in november/december about a bus that had been sitting on 118 ave for quite a few hours. These are my opinons of transit which i have a right to feel just as much as you have a right of yours.

Like i said though, its the mechanics and service guys that work hard on these to keep them running and they do an awesome job. ITs ets and the city that get the failing grade for responsiblility because the evm's/mechanics/service people keep getting told what they are allowed to do from above.