Community Transit Enviro500s

sbs7207b

Plus please don't listen to this user "MT0603" because he just being a jerk about it.

Plus please don't listen to this user "Skateboard 5555" because he just being a jerk about it.

Edited for actual fact. Your posts are so incredibly stupid that they are nothing more than a rant with nothing to go on. We don't need this pollution in the forums.

And by the way, knowing MT0603, he was probably just joking in regards to the NovaBus comments, at least from my perspective.

1. Nova is under Volvo, so Nova can built the American version of B9TL if they want to.

2. NYC don't order any deckers probably the New Jersey tunnel. The Van Hool deckers just fit into it.

3. Why deckers not safe? I am sure they are safer than Artics (to other road users), thats why Singapore and London are banning them

3. Why deckers not safe? I am sure they are safer than Artics (to other road users), thats why Singapore and London are banning them

Arguments could be made that both are safer than the other, but the fact of the matter is that they both have advantages and disadvantages compared to the other.

In any case, the reason that London is banning them is entirely political, and has nothing to do with an advantages or disadvantages. Boris Johnson is using a percieved safety issue to ram his agenda through.

Dan

Double deckers may have more seating then 40ft buses. Do they have more seating then artics?

Last time i heard artics had more seats then double decker buses.

The typical Dennis Trident of Kowloon Motor Bus seats 57 passengers on the upper deck and 33 passengers on the lower deck -- a total of 90 seated passengers -- with 36 standing passengers and one wheelchair, so that adds up to 127. As a contrast, New Flyer's website lists the x60LFR as seating only 64 passengers, with an unspecified number of standees. It's clear which has the higher capacity.

They're not any less safe than regular buses -- the presence of an upper deck doesn't automatically make them less safe -- and, while they might be too tall for certain overpasses, they definitely take up less road space and usually have higher passenger capacity than an artic.

If double-deckers are truly "the worst thing to mass transit" then how do you explain the fact that many cities around the world operate large fleets of them? Surely they would have realized it by now, no?

Very well said.

I would love to have double deckers here in Hamilton, but due to low overpasses we can't. I can only dream of seeing a GO DD come here.

Very well said.

I would love to have double deckers here in Hamilton, but due to low overpasses we can't. I can only dream of seeing a GO DD come here.

Eh, no. I would be seing tons of vandelism.

With that James and John street underpass railway due to low clearance, unfortunately it ain't coming at anytime.

Very well said.

ditto.

i'd like the TTC to give' em a trial, but the existing garage infrastructure is too low, let alone all the clearance issues with underpasses and subway station, indoor terminals.

ditto.

i'd like the TTC to give' em a trial, but the existing garage infrastructure is too low, let alone all the clearance issues with underpasses and subway station, indoor terminals.

Streetcar wire as well, unless I'm wrong.

Streetcar wire as well, unless I'm wrong.

I don't think street car wire will be a problem, because Gray Line already operating the DMS and Routemaster plus other sightseeing operator with the traditional double deckers from the UK

Anyway, is the last day for 27900 in Community Transit today, is a mystery of where will this bus ended up at

1. Nova is under Volvo, so Nova can built the American version of B9TL if they want to.

I'm not sure it would be as simple as that. The B9TL would have to be re-engineered to meet NA standards, and Volvo would also have to find a bodybuilder for the vehicle as they do not own any bodybuilders of their own. Alexander would be unlikely to body it as it would affect sales of their own vehicles, so that would probably only leave Wrights and Optare, both relatively unknown in the NA market, and their current body range would require substantial modifications to become left hand drive.

Edited for actual fact. Your posts are so incredibly stupid that they are nothing more than a rant with nothing to go on. We don't need this pollution in the forums.

Well Said!

For the 99.9% of you mature enough to stay on topic, I bring my opinions and questions to the table.

Gray Line of Seattle has had Leyland double deckers in service during the last couple of summers. They had to plan out a route that did not have any clearance obstacles. Assuming that has been done with Community Transit, I would think that the new coaches make things easier than the 60's. The thing that I wanted to get out has to do with the boarding process. When the 60' coaches are full, it can take quite a while for passengers to shuffle around so they can disembark at their stop. Having a set procedure would probably help a little bit with that. Designate one door for boarding and one for disembarking. If the flow of passengers is regulated, I would think that the boarding/unloading would be alot smoother.

KCM would probably not have much use for double deckers, as they cant go through alot of areas because of how tall they are. CT seems to have gotten their stuff together and gotten the right coaches for the right routes.

Do passengers tend to wait until the coach stops to head towards the door?

Are the coaches getting to the point where there is standing room only (the current CT DDs)?

I am new to the topic and doing research on it now, but these are some of the questions that I have for the time being.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

They only have 1995 D60HF, that's alot of DD buses unless they are expanding fleet.

I wonder if they're replacing the oldest of the D60LF buses in addition to the D60HF buses.

KCM would probably not have much use for double deckers, as they cant go through alot of areas because of how tall they are.

They definitely wouldn't work on the West Seattle routes (at least not on the 21, 22, 56 and 57). The clearance underneath the Fauntleroy Expressway is too low.

• 4 weeks later...

Wait_for_LRV.jpg

Under_the_Wire.jpg

28th_Street_Station.jpg

MOA_Rail_Entrance.jpg

Here are photos of the Alexander Dennis DD demo being tried out by MVTA in the Southern Metro of Minneapolis, MN. It will indeed go under the light rail wires. It doesn't fit under the doors of the bus garage or the Mall of America station's bus loop. The doors of the bus garage can probably be modified because the mechanics just let the air out of the tires to get the bus into the MVTA garage. Busses are being evaluated for both express park and ride and station to station BRT service. The height of the bus becomes problematic for station to station service because it doesn't fit in the mall station and would also need to fit at a Metro transit facility for route layover.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
According to the Trade magazine in the UK, there are 30 chassis at Riverside Already, 23 of them for CT, the rest of them for UC Davis to replace the London RT, how many did UC Davis ordered?

wow, cool, UCD will have 7 more Enviro500s in the near future.

For those 23 chassis, does it mean that the workers at Riverside have been working on those 23 chassis?

I am really looking forward to seeing new CT E500s. ;)

wow, cool, UCD will have 7 more Enviro500s in the near future.

For those 23 chassis, does it mean that the workers at Riverside have been working on those 23 chassis?

I am really looking forward to seeing new CT E500s. ;)

US versions of the Enviro 500 are now bodied by ElDorado National, whose plant for heavy-duty buses is in Riverside. UCD has just taken delivery of two such buses.

I am wondering where are the other five going to...

I guess those two E500s running in UCD now exclude from the order that the magazine mentions

It should mean that those new 7 E500s may be in the new list of the order

Maybe wrong. just guess

• 1 month later...

Here are some pics i took today outside the El Dorado Plant. There were total of 4 DDs in the yard today. 3 of them are belonged to community transit, and the other one is Enviro 500 40 ft demo

DSCF4416.jpg

DSCF4418.jpg

DSCF4420.jpg

plus

DSCF4419.jpg

• 7 months later...