VIA Rail Canada

Waiting for 30 Minutes

Trees and walls? They cost money. And considering the line was acquired from CN what, 2 or so years ago, Metrolinx/GO hasn't had too much time to do anything with it. Any kind of that fancy stuff that may be considered will likely wait until the corridor expansion is done.
If they want people to pay $22 or more to travel this line, I think that "fancy stuff" like removing trash might have to move up the priority list. Let's face it, basic cosmetics would be lost in the margins of the huge costs of this project.

My question: is the F40 the source of the (edit)emissions(/edit), does the current F40 rebuild programme address emissions and if so, has 6445 undergone this programme?

Was 6445 painted in the current - that is, green/grey/yellow striped paint scheme? If not, than no.

And in VIA's defense, I have seen 6445 a couple of times in the past couple of weeks, and it does smoke quite a bit more than normal.

One other observation - the Union-Kitchener lineside has a woeful amount of trash, sleepers, old rail etc. If Metrolinx in particular want this track to be an airport shuttle route, the least they can do is what they can about the view outside the train window by removing trash and detritus as far as the spur location and maybe planting some trees or living walls to shield the rear view of industrial parks and other less than attractive sites.

On a line that is currently under construction? For shame.

Seriously, how else do you expect them to do the work? Do you expect them to leave the ROW spotless whilst they are removing and replacing ties?

I'm pretty sure an engine overhaul is included in the rebuild program. 6445 has not underwent it however, and will likely not do so for a while since VIA and Coors have an advertising agreement in place.

The advertising agreement is limited solely to the Coors Light Express, and nothing beyond that. We will be seeing 4 more trips, in the next 4 winters. But in between, expect nothing more of VIA.

Dan

Important sighting for unit 6300! She has moved way beyond her usual parking spot in the yard. She was parked in the 3rd or 4th track just outside the VMC maintanence garage when i saw her yesterday! Now the question is, whats going to happen with her?

i dont know if she actually moved on her own. The 2 F40's that serve the canadian are parked at the other end of the yard, the one F59PHI is alway coupled to 2 WCE bi levs that are being refurbished, so it may be a possibility she still is good to run!

Is 6309 still running? or Does she need to be shunted? I didnt know there was another F unit from VIA besides 6300.

No it doesn't run.. the engine they got shunting all the equipment around is an ex-Port of Montreal MLW S-3 from 1951.

Really? When we were there last they were using the ex-CN 70 tonner from PEI.

Dan

Funny you mention that unit.. It was nowhere to be found! According to the 2011 Trackside Guide, it's now in indoor storage not accessible to the public.

General point: I've noticed that VIA's trains seem to be generally running with longer consists. I keep counting 6 or 7 carriages on trains that had 4 or 5 a year ago. Can anyoen confirm whether this is due to extra passengers?

As far as I can gather the Ren sets are being used to allow room for bikes. Cycling vacations are becoming more and more popular and the baggage cars on these trains are perfect for them.

Is there enough ridership to support such a large train? Considering GO Transit also offers bikes on their trains. I heard that most of the trains run empty...at least that's what i was told...

Can anybody tell me what the noise is 0:13. It's that for lack of a better phrase Buuwaaap?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctQ0V0Q1a0&NR=1

Can anybody tell me what the noise is 0:13. It's that for lack of a better phrase Buuwaaap?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RctQ0V0Q1a0&NR=1

Seeing as how there is no Wayside power, does the locomotive idle all night at the station?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...955&nseq=29

Kind of related, in Ottawa when you go to Trainyards Shopping Centre (which is right across from the VIA Rail Station), you can still hear locomotives idling at 1 AM in the morning.

Seeing as how there is no Wayside power, does the locomotive idle all night at the station?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?...955&nseq=29

Stop assuming Shaun. There is a wayside hookup at Niagara Falls Station. In fact, you can see it in that photo - look for the pole over the fourth car.

It is the air compressor starting up. I believe those are Gardner-Denver models, and VIA has slowly been replacing them with Wabtec ones.

Dan