Iowa's first Gillig BRT bus goes to.....

Clinton Iowa!

The city of 26,000 recently took delivery of 2 2009 Gillig 35ft BRT buses 0941-0942.

These buses replace 2 30 year old model RTS buses in the fleet. The city has 2 30ft and 1 35ft gillig brt's on order to be delivered sometime next year.

Photos Courtsey of Clinton MTA

James Roach

busfreak99

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Clinton Iowa!

The city of 26,000 recently took delivery of 2 2009 Gillig 35ft BRT buses 0941-0942.

These buses replace 2 30 yeard old model RTS buses in the fleet. The city has 2 30ft and 1 35ft gillig brt's on order to be delivered sometime next year.

James Roach

busfreak99

What is with the tail pipe? do you have pics of the RTS`s

Its some sort of filter on the tailpipe which is standard on all gillig buses since 2007 I believe. Here are some pics of buses in clinton,rts' are retired now they run Orion II's and Gilligs.

2008_1031dubuque_clinton0007.JPG

2008_1031dubuque_clinton0008.JPG

Clinton_432.JPG

Interesting how these buses have the BRT front end but a standard Gillig rear end.

I think it's similar to Minneapolis/St. Paul's specifications, with the two-piece front windshield and standard Gillig rear end. But Clinton seems to have opted for frameless windows, while Minneapolis/St. Paul did not.

Its some sort of filter on the tailpipe which is standard on all gillig buses since 2007 I believe. Here are some pics of buses in clinton,rts' are retired now they run Orion II's and Gilligs.

VERY Nice GMC RTS! Looks like a first Generation with a retrofitted back end cap because I believe that bus was originally one of the sloped backed models from 1977-1979 era?

VERY Nice GMC RTS! Looks like a first Generation with a retrofitted back end cap because I believe that bus was originally one of the sloped backed models from 1977-1979 era?

1977-1980

403 is a 1980 Model it outlasted 415 a 1981model in 2007 after the engine gave out. Clinton then turned to Cedar Rapids for 2 1978 35ft RTS' 1 for fixed route and one for parts.

Clinton's MTA fleet reminds me of Owensboro, Ky's OTS fleet, They have mainly Orion IIs and two Gillig BRT 30ft models. OTS's Gilligs have the regular BRT rear end though.

Any word on what they are going to do with those GMCs?

Clinton's MTA fleet reminds me of Owensboro, Ky's OTS fleet, They have mainly Orion IIs and two Gillig BRT 30ft models. OTS's Gilligs have the regular BRT rear end though.

Any word on what they are going to do with those GMCs?

Off to the City Auction sometime in the fall, would you happen to have pics of the Owensboro Gilligs?

Off to the City Auction sometime in the fall, would you happen to have pics of the Owensboro Gilligs?

I heard Cedar Rapids got 4 Gillig Low Floors in April, will those replace the older GMC RTS or the or the Thomas SLF? I remember visiting Cedar Rapids back in the Spring to see their new 'used' 1992 TMC RTS buses and those Low Floors hadn't arrived yet.

Here are pics of the Owensboro Gillig BRT I look in March.

DSC00025.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

Taiwan.Decal.jpg

I heard Cedar Rapids got 4 Gillig Low Floors in April, will those replace the older RTS or the or the Thomas SLF? I remember visiting Cedar Rapids back in the Spring to see their new 'used' 1992 TMC RTS buses and those Low Floors hadn't arrived yet.

Here are pics of the Owensboro Gillig BRT I look in March.

Yeah Cedar Rapids got 4 35ft lf's replacing older RTS' .

Attached are pics of the new gilligs.

Note: the pictured buses are freshly delivered and have not been decaled for Cedar Rapids yet.

I like the owensboro wave scheme kinda looks like wilmington north carolinas scheme.

James

Gillig_Bus_2092_Received_6_9_09_002.jpg

Gillig_Bus_2092_Received_6_9_09_003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Clinton Iowa!

These buses replace 2 30 yeard old model RTS buses in the fleet. The city has 2 30ft and 1 35ft gillig brt's on order to be delivered sometime next year.

James Roach

busfreak99

I saw one of these yesterday in Roseville (Northern California Suburb) getting off of Interstate 80. The head sign said Commuter, so I assume it's assigned to Commuter duties to and from Downtown Sacramento.

Maybe it doubles as a giant speaker to make announcements! :)

Now for the dumb question...for some reason, I thought Gillig was out of the bus business. Where did I/would I have heard that? Or am I thinking of a different manufacturer?